• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunken Metal Toe Plates?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Heel plates are easier, but they make ALOT of noise. I don't use them. There are alternatives to metal, like taflon/hard plastic studs and such they can put into heels to extend its life. I find they makes the heel uncomfortable. I just resort to re-heeling as oppose to those solutions.

you just have to break them in. my oldest are about 15 years. still going strong. i love the noise, ymmv

i tried rubber, but i'm missing something. will replace, when they wear out.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
No my cobbler f-ed up. Believe it or not, those are sunken into the sole which must have been a *****. Regardless, they should have gone on the tip. $30 seems more than fair
not to put salt into your wounds, but what do you mean by they are sunken? it looks like he grounded down the forepart area. the good thing. they are fixed with screws, so you can use them on a round toe.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
They make heel taps or heel cleats for this purpose. I do this on most of my Alden shoes (albeit not flush mounted) and I don't find them any more slippery or dangerous than any other leather soled shoe. Costs $2 at my local cobblers.

Today, on my Alden Shell Cordovan Chukkas

39e9d609.jpg

pure dilettantism. this is a toe tap.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
not to put salt into your wounds, but what do you mean by they are sunken?

it looks like he grounded down the forepart area.

the good thing. they are fixed with screws, so you can use them on a round toe.

I think he actually cut out half moons for the taps, fritzl.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I think he actually cut out half moons for the taps, fritzl.

so he is turkish and not hillbilly.

btw, the funny part is. he has the really good material. first class.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so he is turkish and not hillbilly.

btw, the funny part is. he has the really good material. first class.

Hehe. Yes, and good skills too.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pure dilettantism. this is a toe tap.

No, I just have rather large feet.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so he is turkish and not hillbilly. btw, the funny part is. he has the really good material. first class.
Yes, he literally mitered them out and sunk them into the sole. He is actually very talented, just a little...um...simple. I provided the materials, first class or no class my man. Nick- I am willing to send these to you for repair, and in exchange, I will let you post them to your site as what not to do. No charge to you.
biggrin.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, I just have rather large feet.

is this an inside joke?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
Yes, he literally mitered them out and sunk them into the sole. He is actually very talented, just a little...um...simple. I provided the materials, first class or no class my man. Nick- I am willing to send these to you for repair, and in exchange, I will let you post them to your site as what not to do. No charge to you.
biggrin.gif

copied that. but then these plates had the wrong shape in the first place. as i said. these are unworn and you can use them on another pair of shoes.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
copied that. but then these plates had the wrong shape in the first place. as i said. these are unworn and you can use them on another pair of shoes.

I know, I left him with a variety of sizes

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They make heel taps or heel cleats for this purpose. I do this on most of my Alden shoes (albeit not flush mounted) and I don't find them any more slippery or dangerous than any other leather soled shoe. Costs $2 at my local cobblers.

Today, on my Alden Shell Cordovan Chukkas

39e9d609.jpg

I don't get this, the rubber insert is there for traction and to be replaced when worn, I'd add a plate on a full leather heel not on that one.

chazzz1970

Reaction score
hi Xiaogou
i really like the metal toe plates that b.nelson did for you. unfortunately i am in london and cant find any cobbler who uses those particular plates which i think are a type of lulus. the lulus that cleverleys use only have three nails in them whilst yours have five screws which are much better - much more robust. i am dying to source them so i can give them to cleverleys to use on my many pairs which have the more fragile 3 nail lulus...
please can you help ? i would order them from teh us if i knew exactly what they are called and if i knew a website to order them from ??
thanks for your help
charles

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads