• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunken Metal Toe Plates?

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by "Style Guru"
Hey pal, the cheapest shoes I have are made by Church. I have pairs I bought almost 30 yrs ago and I've never put taps or even used shoe trees and they STILL look fine. And if you have enough pairs of shoes you will never have to resole them (waste of money on a used shoe) By the time they'd need resoling they'd be so old or you'd just want o throw them out anyway. And perhaps if you losers buying the used Lobbs and wasting your money on shoes that most likely don't even fit would just buy a number shoes in your class you wouldn't be worried about that 1 pair of shoes you're wearing and about putting all sorts of protections on them.
lol8[1].gif

Can someone please respond so I don't have to?

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for all of the responses. As B. Nelson is only three blocks away from my job, that sounds like the place to go.

Lately, I've been noticing the wear near the tip of the sole. Its probably something 99.9% of the population would never notice or care about. But I've been seeing posts lately with the sunken metal plate and thought it looked nifty. I was thinking of having them put on these:

John Lobb City II in new gold museum calf, size 9.5E on the 7000 last -

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
Does anyone know if these can be fitted to the heel of a shoe?

I going through the 1/4 rubber tip on my C&J's like crazy

You kick your heels too much, either when landing or when pushing off. Either way you have to fix how you walk rather than fixing your shoes. If you put metal plates on your heels you will slip and fall down with every step.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
Do metal toe plates scratch up hardwood floors?

no

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
You should expect them to.

only if you do some tip toe dancing...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
Does anyone know if these can be fitted to the heel of a shoe? I going through the 1/4 rubber tip on my C&J's like crazy
toe taps are too small for the heel, hence there are heel taps which are thicker, too btw, easier to install.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You kick your heels too much, either when landing or when pushing off. Either way you have to fix how you walk rather than fixing your shoes. If you put metal plates on your heels you will slip and fall down with every step.

that's not even funny. think about it.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
only if you do some tip toe dancing...

Everything scratches hardwood floors. Sand under a leather sole scratches hardwood floors. My metal taps scratch my hardwood floors.

that's not even funny. think about it.

Wass meinst dabei?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. Everything scratches hardwood floors. Sand under a leather sole scratches hardwood floors. My metal taps scratch my hardwood floors.

2. Wass meinst dabei?

1. there's scratching and scratching, agreed?

2. dass ich in sechzehn jahren und absatzeisen auf dreissig paar schuhen sehr selten gerutscht bin.

changy

Reaction score
VIP Shoe restorer on 55 and lex does it too, they are "Bnelson certified" according to an instore banner. I usually put metal infront and plastic in the back.

They will scratch up hard wood floor, when I accidentally kick my office furniture, it leaves a mark. I do look forward to kicking someone in the shin with them.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. there's scratching and scratching, agreed?

2. dass ich in sechzehn jahren und absatzeisen auf dreissig paar schuhen sehr selten gerutscht bin.

1. jawohl, aber wir wissen nicht welche meint der OP, oder vielleicht seine Frau
smile.gif

2. also, du laufst sehr gern, und der andere nicht so viel.

(ach, ich habe so wenig Deutsch gelehrnt und so viel vergessen
smile.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy
VIP Shoe restorer on 55 and lex does it too, they are "Bnelson certified" according to an instore banner. I usually put metal infront and plastic in the back.

They will scratch up hard wood floor, when I accidentally kick my office furniture, it leaves a mark. I do look forward to kicking someone in the shin with them.

Let's do a little experiment. Go into VIP Shoe Restorer and ask Nick - the boss - for directions to B. Nelson
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads