Sunken Metal Toe Plates?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PhiloVance, Jan 19, 2011.

1. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Do metal toe plates scratch up hardwood floors?

no

No problems here either.

2. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Does anyone have a couple pics of Nelson's work? I'm in PA and would love to send several pairs his way. I couldn't find any descriptive pics on the website linked about. Thanks.

I'll post some pics tonight for you.

3. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

4. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

Not this guy:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Does B. Nelson's work look more like this, where the metal seems to be placed on top of the sole? I was hoping more for the look where it almost looks like the sole has been chiseled out to make room for the metal plate - which looks like it has been placed into the sole with almost surgical precision. [​IMG]

I'm sure there are pics on here - I think G&G does it on the custom order stuff. Or am I asking for too much for $30?

5. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

>>

FYI, Nick V. at B. Nelson in NYC can do this now for $35. I think this may be a recent development, as I didn't see these available when I went in about six months ago to get a pair of shoes resoled. Below is an attached a pic of the Tramezza Nostros I just had done.

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...7&d=1271469848

6. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Does B. Nelson's work look more like this, where the metal seems to be placed on top of the sole?

Hell no! It is flush with the sole.

7. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

No my cobbler f-ed up. Believe it or not, those are sunken into the sole which must have been a bitch. Regardless, they should have gone on the tip.

$30 seems more than fair

Does B. Nelson's work look more like this, where the metal seems to be placed on top of the sole? I was hoping more for the look where it almost looks like the sole has been chiseled out to make room for the metal plate - which looks like it has been placed into the sole with almost surgical precision. [​IMG]

I'm sure there are pics on here - I think G&G does it on the custom order stuff. Or am I asking for too much for $30?

8. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

No my cobbler f-ed up. Believe it or not, those are sunken into the sole which must have been a bitch. Regardless, they should have gone on the tip.

I'm sorry I found this funny. Looks like a very nice job though.

9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Does anyone know if these can be fitted to the heel of a shoe?

I going through the 1/4 rubber tip on my C&J's like crazy

They make heel taps or heel cleats for this purpose. I do this on most of my Alden shoes (albeit not flush mounted) and I don't find them any more slippery or dangerous than any other leather soled shoe. Costs $2 at my local cobblers.

Today, on my Alden Shell Cordovan Chukkas

[​IMG]

10. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

C&J does it for clients, they farm it out to one of the cobblers in the city. The set they showed me looked very nice.

I prefer the little plastic ones however. easy to replace without having someone cut into the soles of the shoes.

I'm tough on toes, not so much on heels, so I get them on every pair of shoes as soon as I buy them.

11. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

I'm sorry I found this funny. Looks like a very nice job though.

Don't apologize, I laughed in his face when he handed them to me. He said it took him an hour so I gave him $10. Now I'll just have to find another cobbler and not only pay for the taps but a new half sole or at least a new leather tip. Lesson of the day- don't take expensive shoes to a hillbilly.

12. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Do metal toe plates scratch up hardwood floors?
    You don't put enough pressure on your shoe tip to scratch up the floor, but I cannot say it is not an possibility. I never happened to me, and more than half of my rotation have metal tips.
    Does anyone know if these can be fitted to the heel of a shoe
    Heel plates are easier, but they make ALOT of noise. I don't use them. There are alternatives to metal, like taflon/hard plastic studs and such they can put into heels to extend its life. I find they makes the heel uncomfortable. I just resort to re-heeling as oppose to those solutions.
    IIRC G&G Charged me 30 GBP for my MTO's Metal Plates. Which is about $47 USD.

13. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Don't apologize, I laughed in his face when he handed them to me. He said it took him an hour so I gave him $10. Now I'll just have to find another cobbler and not only pay for the taps but a new half sole or at least a new leather tip. Lesson of the day- don't take expensive shoes to a hillbilly.

Hehe. Well, he certainly has the skills, just not the brains, I guess. I'm not an expert but I think a leather tip will do.

14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I find I have to micro manage a great deal of professionals in this business if I want to receive the shoes in a 'better' condition than what i gave them.

My cobbler now gets explicit detail after returning a pair of cordovan loafers with the tassel reattached by wire staple.

15. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

I find I have to micro manage a great deal of professionals in this business if I want to receive the shoes in a 'better' condition than what i gave them. My cobbler now gets explicit detail after returning a pair of cordovan loafers with the tassel reattached by wire staple.
    I find this to be true as well. I received some strange things back from my previous cobbler. I think it is because most people don't care about their shoes as much as SF members. You would think most cobblers would recognize quality and step up their game. My current cobbler is exceptional. He likes to ask me how much each pair of shoes cost that I bring in. However, I live in a sartorial wasteland, so he doesn't see many quality shoes. He has a greater appreciation for quality shoes, since the Cole Haan is normally "the good stuff."