• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rc121

Reaction score

Dude, you're in Tokyo. Go to Ring Jacket and get their MTM. Should be similar prices to suitsupply, and they make really nice stuff.
Not sure how accurate this is, as the pricing I've seen for Ring Jacket MTM starts at $1k for jackets and $1.5k for suits which is more than double SS

zengy

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for you comments!
I do believe a slightly asymmetric shoulders yes, but it the pics it's probably exaggerated by the fact that I reach forward with my right arm to press to shutter on the camera, causing jacket sleeve to slide up a bit. I've been watching out for it in my recent photos, where it shows much less.

This is really what bothers me most. I suspect this is the result of having wide hips (relative to a very narrow waist), so when I wear a jacket fitted at the waist, the big hips cause the skirt to flare out at the sides.

Here are pics of a second Havana jacket, same size (EU 44/US34). I've tried to stand straighter to avoid stance issues.

On the pic below, I just pull in stomach and push out my chest, and it fits a lot cleaner:

You think I should have it tailored to let out the waist? (or maybe just ask a tailor to move the waist buttons a bit - just a quarter of an inch more room in the waist I think would be enough to get a cleaner waist/hip area).
Or size up to 46/36, and have chest and possibly shoulders taken in? (I would gain 1cm in both sleeve and jacket length on the flipside).
Not sure how to fix those wrinkles as I'm not sure they come from the waist being too tight (then you would likely have a big x-crease). It looks like your big hips (relative to your waist, as you say) stops the jacket from falling nicely. For you, that part should be shaped more like an hourglass to get it right (like the Boston fit). Drop by your tailor and get his opinion. Hard to conclude only by pictures. Maybe it can be fixed by moving the button.

I would try MTM if I were you.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoulders look a little off, but it's impossible to tell in these pictures. Try taking a proper picture, at chest height and from a normal distance. Other than that, the buttoning point is awfully high, but you knew that already, and I'd swap the buttons for a darker brown. You could give suitsupply MTM a try for the price of 1,5 suits. That way you can get a suit that fits perfectly, and in a more normal configuration. It might not be feasible for you, but it would be much better. Look at Timo's SuSU MTM suit:

What is "Timo's" SF profile name and does he have a blog? I want to reach out to him about SS's MTO Program. Thanks @Monkeyface

MrTopCat

Reaction score
@Gosroth & @ShawnBC Thanks, I really do like it, I unstitched the vents and it seems to have fixed some of the issues, though could possibly remove a bit more excess fabric:

@Monkeyface I seem to have an issue on most of my suits where my left shoulder looks slightly odd, while the right shoulder can look pretty much perfect. Here's a better pic:

As for MTM, I'm afraid I don't have the patience for it. The price is also somewhat higher when you factor in the addition of a waistcoat.

IMO the buttoning stance isn't too high, but doesn't matter too much since I plan to wear this suit unbuttoned for most of the time.

Swapping out the buttons for darker brown buttons does sound like a worthwhile improvement, since I plan to wear this with dark brown or black dress boots.

While I'm here, I'll also post how the jacket of my Washington fits. (Note the Washington is size 34 while the Hudson is 32, but has had the sides taken in plus the jacket shortened by 1.2". Also it is not meant to be worn with the waistcoat, oops.)

P.S. My posture seems to get awkward when posing for the camera, any tips?
shog[1].gif

Last edited:

zengy

Reaction score
It's here, the Hudson is here! (Sorry if the pictures are not the best of quality)

First impressions:

That suit looks too small, there'll probably be pulling at the waist.

The fabric looks a lot less shinier, and a lot more textured than the image on the website.

I thought the triple patch pockets with a three-piece would be an issue, but I actually kinda like it!

After trying it on:

Surprisingly very little pulling at the waist, suit feels extremely comfortable, fabric is not too thick nor too thin!

The lapels look nice and wide (3.5"), considering that this is my first EVER notch lapel suit, this was very important.

Still no issue with the patch pockets, feels like a keeper.

Creases on the upper back, yeah, every single suit I've ever tried on has this issue (Regardless of sizing up/down), nothing new to see here.

Excess material at the lower back. I have also had this issue with a few suits I've tried on, though I think the cause of this one is the stitching on the vents (As it was with my Washington fit). If not I'll have it taken in from the side seams as I've done before on other suits. Not a big issue.

The hand-stiched shoulder looks truly beautiful, even my mother noticed it and she is usually unaware of such things.

Conclusion:

I think I'm keeping it, unless there is something wrong with it that I have overlooked (Please insert your criticism below). Triple-patch + three-piece is no problem for me, I still have at least 4 years before I'll be working in a real office environment, and love to dress up in clothes like this pretty much anywhere I go. Plus, it's pretty unique.

Extra details

My height: 5'7
Weight: 50kg
Chest: 34"
Waist: 28"
Hips: 34"

Suit size: 32R

What do you guys think?
Fit-wise, shoulders look too big both from the front and the side. Shoulders being too big is a deal breaker for me. The creasing at the upper back is quite extreme, but if that's inevitable for you, then that's how it is (maybe try MTM).

If you keep it, I would swap the buttons for some dark brown horn buttons.

MrTopCat

Reaction score
Fit-wise, shoulders look too big both from the front and the side. Shoulders being too big is a deal breaker for me. The creasing at the upper back is quite extreme, but if that's inevitable for you, then that's how it is (maybe try MTM).

If you keep it, I would swap the buttons for some dark brown horn buttons.

Added new pictures in my post above, hopefully that clears some things up.

What is "Timo's" SF profile name and does he have a blog? I want to reach out to him about SS's MTO Program. Thanks @Monkeyface

@timotune

Last edited:

zengy

Reaction score
Added new pictures in my post above, hopefully that clears some things up.

@patliean1 His SF account is @timotune
I see. Is your left shoulder lower and/or sloped? It's a huge difference. Maybe your're just shorter from neck to left shoulder than the other way around.

Your Washington is much better around the shoulders, but the Hudson is more clean around the waist and the chest. Still issues in the back though.

Also, how much will you be using the vest? If not much, then MTM is not a big upcharge from this.

MrTopCat

Reaction score
I see. Is your left shoulder lower and/or sloped? It's a huge difference. Maybe your're just shorter from neck to left shoulder than the other way around.

Your Washington is much better around the shoulders, but the Hudson is more clean around the waist and the chest. Still issues in the back though.

Also, how much will you be using the vest? If not much, then MTM is not a big upcharge from this.

My right shoulder bone is more prominent than my left.

Also, the Washington fit size 34 has a 17.3" shoulder, while this one (size 32) has a 16.5" shoulder. Though the heavy padding in the Washington probably creates the illusion of my shoulders being bigger than they actually are.

I will be using the vest whenever I wear this as a suit, so pretty much 80% of the time.

Last edited:

phsiao08

Reaction score
Hey Suitsuppliers -

Just a question but how often would you recommend wearing a Sienna (or any super 130s suit) to be on the 'safe side' since the finer wool is usually less durable?

StephenB

Reaction score

Hey Suitsuppliers - 

Just a question but how often would you recommend wearing a Sienna (or any super 130s suit) to be on the 'safe side' since the finer wool is usually less durable? 

I can't speak for the Sienna in particular but I have a suit in super 130 that I wear once a week that's help up fine with little sign of wear after 1.5 years.

Seattle206

Reaction score
Went back to SuSu today, but the manager wasn't there so i have to come back. I tried on the 40R and 42R. Here's how it looks unaltered:

42R:

(w/o suit pant)

Here is the 40R unaltered:

Is the 42R alterable? It's super boxy & lengthy. My shoulders seem to be in between a 40 & 42.

What should i do?? Thank you!

Last edited:

StephenB

Reaction score
One thing to think about is that it looks to me that the 42R sleeves are so long that because of the functioning buttonholes will not be alterable to the length you would want. Its the same issue that puts in a 36S instead of a 34 at Suitsupply.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Went back to SuSu today, but the manager wasn't there so i have to come back. I tried on the 40R and 42R. Here's how it looks unaltered: 42R: (w/o suit pant) Here is the 40R unaltered: Is the 42R alterable? It's super boxy & lengthy. My shoulders seem to be in between a 40 & 42. What should i do?? Thank you!
The 42R looks terrible. Avoid at all costs. Can you take better pics of the 40R? You also might want to try a 40R.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads