• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jtj48

Reaction score
So we can expect more suits/sport coats to drop in the next month or so? I'm not familiar with SuitSupply's product rollout habits.

I was hoping for a plain or subtly textured/patterned navy jacket in the Hudson fit, but nothing doing among the last releases.

LarryNJ

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post on styleforum. I've been looking for a suit and reading different threads for the last week or so and discovered SuitSupply. I'm 54 and read the age appropriate SS thread. I don't feel like someone wanting to dress like 1/2 his age. It's more about I do not like how most my age dress. I went to the Philly store looking for something a little different. I was going to also go to a MTM place but I ended up buying a Blue Madison at SS. I loved the fit, the material and felt great wearing it. I also felt it was very versatile and the jacket could be worn with chinos or nice jeans.I have a wedding in a couple weeks. I would like to wear a shirt and tie that would stand out a little bit. None of the shirts and ties in SS really excited me. Any suggestions on shirt/tie/shoes to wear with this? I buy most of my shoes on myhabit and spend in the $200-$250 a pair range. I'm hoping to get a cool shirt and tie for around $200 or less but a few extra $$ don't mean much.

I appreciate all the knowledge that is shared on this site. I'm looking forward to having a totally new wardrobe of the course of the next year or so. Thanks in advance for your suggestions

MrTopCat

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post on styleforum. I've been looking for a suit and reading different threads for the last week or so and discovered SuitSupply. I'm 54 and read the age appropriate SS thread. I don't feel like someone wanting to dress like 1/2 his age. It's more about I do not like how most my age dress. I went to the Philly store looking for something a little different. I was going to also go to a MTM place but I ended up buying a Blue Madison at SS. I loved the fit, the material and felt great wearing it. I also felt it was very versatile and the jacket could be worn with chinos or nice jeans.I have a wedding in a couple weeks. I would like to wear a shirt and tie that would stand out a little bit. None of the shirts and ties in SS really excited me. Any suggestions on shirt/tie/shoes to wear with this? I buy most of my shoes on myhabit and spend in the $200-$250 a pair range. I'm hoping to get a cool shirt and tie for around $200 or less but a few extra $$ don't mean much.

I appreciate all the knowledge that is shared on this site. I'm looking forward to having a totally new wardrobe of the course of the next year or so. Thanks in advance for your suggestions

I have this suit and usually wear a tie that has some navy in it, usually something in cream or off-white. I've been meaning to buy a burgundy tie to wear with it, which should look pretty nice. I've tried a light pink tie with navy dots, but wasn't too keen on that. Also have tried an orange tie once, which has a blue/white pattern on it and I really liked the pop of colour it brought to the outfit.

I am pretty boring when it comes to shirts, I mostly like plain white shirts or light blue shirts that have white contrast cuffs and collars, so I can't recommend much in the shirt section.

Also the jacket of this suit is truly wonderful to wear separately as you said, and it really looks great with turtlenecks too.

Here's one of my very simple combinations I like to wear. I think the suit is pretty fancy as it is double-breasted and donegal tweed at the same time, so I go with simpler shirt/tie/pocket square combinations to maintain focus on the suit rather than the rest of the outfit.

As for shoes dark brown or black is the safest option whether it be leather or suede. Mid-brown could work depending on the shade but I don't recommend anything lighter. I usually wear dark brown monks, black chelsea boots, or mid-brown mixed suede/leather balmoral boots with it. I wore my burgundy oxfords with the suit once and really liked the way it looked, though if I had a nice burgundy tie it would bring the entire look together much better.

Also, welcome to the forums!
smile.gif

Last edited:

fieldofdreams

Reaction score

So we can expect more suits/sport coats to drop in the next month or so?  I'm not familiar with SuitSupply's product rollout habits.

I was hoping for a plain or subtly textured/patterned navy jacket in the Hudson fit, but nothing doing among the last releases.

It seems like at least once a week they add a minimum of two new suits and two new scs. Sometimes more. It doesn't always appear under new releases

Hordie

Reaction score
Not dat hard to shorten the coat. I think it's about €20-30.

I got a coat in the same model and made it shorten myself. So a tailor could do this easaly.

I just received 2 coats from suit supply, and am debating between the two. I got their standard charcoal single breasted wool coat, and the double breasted in navy wool/cashmere. I much prefer the feel of the double-breasted coat, however I find that it is quite long.

Any estimates on how much it would cost to have it shortened? It would only be an inch or 2 to maintain proportions. The pleat at the back will likely complicate things and i"m not sure if it would be worth it.

MrTopCat

Reaction score
So we can expect more suits/sport coats to drop in the next month or so? I'm not familiar with SuitSupply's product rollout habits.

New suits just hit the webstore today, there's a beautiful new plain navy wool-cashmere Hudson suit. I wish they'd release one exactly like this in dark or mid-brown as I already have a navy Hudson three-piece (would definitely buy this navy one if I didn't have one).

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/suits/hudson-blue-plain/P4714.html

There's also a pretty nice brown Mercer suit but the buttoning stance looks ridiculously high compared to usual; which is high enough as it is. Anyone have experience with the Mercer fit?

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/suits/mercer-brown-plain/P4713.html

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is untrue. I live in Europe and ordered 2 shirts one year ago and with all the fees they came to about 75€ per shirt. 

But anyway, SS do have nice shirts. I would avoid the cheapest shirts, but anything from there has a nice price-quality ratio. 

customs enforcement differs from country to country (ive lived in 3 in eu)

dont like the thin mop buttons on ss. feels a bit cheap.

aidanc

Reaction score

The other coat I had ordered at the time was the standard charcoal single breasted topcoat, which I found to be very thin and unstructured. The DB with EThomas fabric is a much more appropriate winter weight, and the double-breasted front and pleated back really ad to the weight of it. The fabric itself seems to be atleast 50% thicker than the charcoal wool, perhaps even double.

I would recommend it as a winter coat, while I would hesitate to do the same for some of their single-breasted models at the lower price bracket (<$500) as these tend to be thinner.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, recently bought this suit: http://eu.suitsupply.com/nl/suits/jort-blauw-birdseye/P4018.html. Now I'm thinking, could I use the jacket as a single piece or would it look too much like an orphan? Pros are patch pockets, the unpadded shoulders and the textured fabric, cons might be the .. well.. [COLOR=333333]spalla camicia Napoletana? Couldn't think of anything else.[/COLOR]

It will depend on how shiny the fabric is in person. If it has the slight sheen of a suit, then no bueno as an orphan jacket.

You may want to search the threads for the One Suit concept. Perhaps it was Mafoofan years ago. Anyway, you can glean some insights about a suit like this being broken up.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score

It will depend on how shiny the fabric is in person. If it has the slight sheen of a suit, then no bueno as an orphan jacket.

You may want to search the threads for the One Suit concept. Perhaps it was Mafoofan years ago. Anyway, you can glean some insights about a suit like this being broken up.

The jacket definitely has the sheen of a suit. I would notice it as a suit jacket. I doubt, however, that anyone not on sf would.

EDIT: I know this from experience. My father-in-law got this suit, based on my recommendation. He normally shops at the more expensive brands on Rodeo Dr for his suits. My opinion is the Jort is nicer than his Armani suits, at least in styling. The fabric is certainly on par.

Last edited:

boombalati

Reaction score
Yes, I won the suit for 345 dollars. I just received it today. The material is a wonderful wool flannel with a great soft hand. The fit seems good, although the armholes are a bit lower than I remember the Lazio being. Please see my next post for a photo - I had one attached here, but I felt it was of terrible quality. I hope to have more high quality photos uploaded soon if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Last edited:

boombalati

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.. looks like a nice suit, and the the 42R is just about right on for me. Ill let you know how it turns out.
Sorry for not quoting originally.. here is another photo with shoes sans vest.

Please note, this has not been tailored at all by me. The seller said he got the pants hemmed, and then put it up on ebay. The length looks good without my having to tailor, what do you think?

-

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads