• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitsupply ... can you PLEASE make some pants with more room?
napoli jacket fits perfectly, i'm not even going to tailor a thing on it
not even sleeve length
(i was wearing suitsupply's try-on shirt in the photo which is why my shirt sleeves are sticking out so much)

but the pants i am almost busting out of ... waist is perfect but the seat and hips and thighs are about to bust at the seams
my tailor said there is just barely enough room to make it work ... so here's hoping he can work his magic

i will be exploring the MTM option as well

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the pants are generally unbearably slim for the corresponding jacket size if you do any significant athletic activity at all.I've taken to sizing by pants, and then tailoring the jacket to make things work b/c of SS obstinate refusal to do separates.

p0rkbelly

Reaction score
So, I might be having a bit of buyer's remorse. What is everyone's thoughts on the Napoli -- specifically the cut and what occasions it is appropriate for? Obviously, there is a range of materials across the line which determines the overall quality.

I ask because I am a bit nervous that I rushed into a choice today when I bought the following (after trying it on in the store...):

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/napoli-dark-grey-plain/P2525I.html

I have been wanting a nice charcoal/dark gray suit for a while as this was a major gap in my overall wardrobe as I've realized my older suits were ill fitting garbage. I was just invited to a more formal wedding that specified "Very Dark Suit, Black Preferred", so, figured that was the excuse I needed to buy another suit. I work for a tech company, without a dress code, so I wear more sports coats and jeans than suits.

I have an athletic/sleek build and typically measure 40R and true 30" waist at 6' tall. The SS staff always pointed me towards the Siennas and Lazios since the cut is flattering on my body type.

I wanted a decent quality, classic charcoal/very dark gray suit, that fit me well and is of decent quality. However, for the last year or more I have not seen anything very dark gray in a Sienna or Lazio besides an expensive Pure Black Sienna and an Inky (basically black) Navy Sienna. This is the darkest gray SS suit I've seen in 18+ months and was at a very good price point ($499). I did not want to go to Indochino or J.Crew, etc -- as I figured the Napoli cut, though not my first choice, was a higher quality and probably a better fit, plus, I get better service and tailoring at SS.

So, did I screw up? is the Napoli still a wise choice, fashionable cut? I sized down to a 38 as well (which was also suggested) and it looks decent. Little concerned about more padding in the shoulder compared to the Sienna and obviously the Havana.

I was debating between this and a lighter Grey Birdseye Sienna (for $200+ more), and although I loved the Sienna, it was not the ideal color I needed -- or wanted.

Thanks!

P.S. What's the difference in a "Blue Line" S110 and a "Purple Line" S110 wool? Another suit I tried on -- and was $100 less --was this:
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/blue-line/napoli-dark-grey-plain/P3755I.html?start=4&cgid=Blue-Line

I definitely preferred the color I chose though...

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Napoli and York are the most "forgiving" cuts of suits that SS does from what I've seen. They're the most "business appropriate" in their styling. The Napoli's run big for their tagged size compared to the other cuts you mention, so sizing down is a distinct possibility depending on your body shape. Most any cut from SuitSupply is still, though, considered fashion-forward and there's no real chance you'll look fuddy in an SuSu product.

Blue Line fabrics and Purple Line fabrics are not an inherent difference in quality, instead it reflects the price at which the source fabric was purchased - either a more exclusive or discounted base material, but the construction on both lines is generally the same. I think you get into full-canvassing when you reach red-line stuff, but Blue and Purple are both half-canvass, decent-to-well made suits.

I think a suit like that in the link is a staple buy.

jamie411

Reaction score

So, did I screw up? is the Napoli still a wise choice, fashionable cut? I sized down to a 38 as well (which was also suggested) and it looks decent. Little concerned about more padding in the shoulder compared to the Sienna and obviously the Havana.

Thanks!

P.S. What's the difference in a "Blue Line" S110 and a "Purple Line" S110 wool?

I have the suit you bought, it's a fantastic color - dark charcoal, but not black. I think it will be perfect for the occasion you mention and is a staple suit to own. The Napoli is less fashion forward than most SS suits, but it's still fashionable, while remaining a classic cut. The shoulder is lightly padded, but the other suits you mention are unpadded, natural shoulders, which in my opinion are less appropriate for a more formal look or occasion.

El Argentino is spot on with the Blue vs Purple Line fabrics.

Last edited:

p0rkbelly

Reaction score
The Napoli and York are the most "forgiving" cuts of suits that SS does from what I've seen. They're the most "business appropriate" in their styling. The Napoli's run big for their tagged size compared to the other cuts you mention, so sizing down is a distinct possibility depending on your body shape. Most any cut from SuitSupply is still, though, considered fashion-forward and there's no real chance you'll look fuddy in an SuSu product.

Blue Line fabrics and Purple Line fabrics are not an inherent difference in quality, instead it reflects the price at which the source fabric was purchased - either a more exclusive or discounted base material, but the construction on both lines is generally the same. I think you get into full-canvassing when you reach red-line stuff, but Blue and Purple are both half-canvass, decent-to-well made suits.

I think a suit like that in the link is a staple buy.

Thanks both for the response, feel better about my decision. From reading various posts, on this forum, I had a bias against the Napoli especially with my body type. Yes, the Sienna felt and looked better, but the Napoli was much better cut than any other non-SuSu product I've worn. I also had them put in a slight taper (about 1") from the calf down as well, which was suggested by the tailor.

Definitely understand that S110 in Blue vs Purple could very well be due to price points and what SuSu was able to acquire at. Not saying it is the case with my suit, but, in general, can one could say that one S110 is of superior quality than another S110? (Or S130 vs S130) Any other factors that can contribute to the quality/luxuriousness of an equally "rated" material?

jamie411

Reaction score

Thanks both for the response, feel better about my decision. From reading various posts, on this forum, I had a bias against the Napoli especially with my body type. Yes, the Sienna felt and looked better, but the Napoli was much better cut than any other non-SuSu product I've worn. I also had them put in a slight taper (about 1") from the calf down as well, which was suggested by the tailor. 

Definitely understand that S110 in Blue vs Purple could very well be due to price points and what SuSu was able to acquire at. Not saying it is the case with my suit, but, in general, can one could say that one S110 is of superior quality than another S110? (Or S130 vs S130) Any other factors that can contribute to the quality/luxuriousness of an equally "rated" material?

The "Super" number denotes the fineness of the fiber - higher the number the finer the fiber. However there can be variance in the length of fibers used which would affect the quality (longer is better than shorter). That said, I suspect there is little discernable difference between the fabrics of the same S number SuitSupply uses, at least to the layperson. you can Google for more information about wool fabrics (askandy has many threads dedicated to this discussion!), but there is far more to determine quality than the Super number.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

S130 v S110 is a thoughtful question, but the answer is not as straightforward. People like @Mauro from Wolf vs Goat can talk your ear off about the quality of fabrics; there's an inherent sense that the height the thread count, the "more luxurious" the fabric is, or that it's better. This is not always the case as there are many factors to consider.

The higher a thread count goes, the more threads per square inch or cm are woven in the fabric. This usually means the threads get smaller in diameter, more refined, and therefore softer. However, as this threads get whittled down to cram more of them in, they also get weaker. Hence, you get more delicate fabrics as you move up the Super- chart. 180s or 250s are softer (less durable, more prone to wear) than 110s or 80s. This softening of the texture is usually construed as "more luxurious", but that's not always the case. The "quality" of the fabric, regardless of its labeled thread count has more to do with the quality of the raw wool or material being processed, the weaving process employed by the mill, and then the over all quality of the mill itself.

The fabric's history and source is more indicative of a material's quality than strictly relying on its thread count. Sorry, I'm on mobile so I hope that makes sense. It's entirely possible to have a suit w/ super 110s that blows a super 180 or super 250 suit out of the water, fabric-wise. Further, the thread count can be useful for determine durability or appropriateness of wear; generally a lower count fabric will hold up longer and wear better over time than your stereotypical high-count fabric, which is usually more prone to show wear and abuse. This though, as explained above, is only a general rule, so buying a suit of a specific fabric should usually include consideration of how the suit is going to be used; a business suit that's going to be frequently worn and often hard? - usually a lower thread count is appropriate. An "occasion" suit may be more adequate for a higher count fabric because it won't be worn and handled as often. But again this is just a general rule and the actual quality of the fabric, regardless of what it's labeled will have much more to do with its production than the named thread count.

Hope this helps a bit.

Vasco

Reaction score
It does look a bit light in my opinion for a business setting. Otherwise like the colour for the summer.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score

jbcs

Reaction score

Hey all, looking for some guidance on the above. The above is the York in Navy, size 38L. Obviously too tight around the chest. However, any thoughts on sleeve length and length in the back? Unsure if I should be sizing up to the 40R or 40L.

SS 376

Reaction score

Anybody have any pictures or experiences with this suit? Also, do you think it would be appropriate in a business professional setting? Thanks! http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...d=Suits&prefn1=styleFit&prefv1=Classic-Sienna

I think it's fine. You don't need to confine yourself to navy and dark gray just because you're an attorney. I worked at a large law firm for 6 years and wouldn't feel out of place wearing blue (i actually have a similar suit). You might get a comment or two here and there but it's a professional looking suit. I would keep the shirt and tie subdued though.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@jbcs - I would try a 40L though it only gives you 0.5" in the sleeve and 40R is actually shorter in the sleeve than your 38L according to the size advisor.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody have any pictures or experiences with this suit? Also, do you think it would be appropriate in a business professional setting? Thanks! http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...d=Suits&prefn1=styleFit&prefv1=Classic-Sienna

I bought a shade that was a little bit darker last year and it is still too blue for 99% of business situations. I think this is way too bright. I ended up wearing it once and the silence from people who are usually complimentary was deafening. Getting the right blue is hard - would suggest looking at in store. I should have returned it when I received it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads