• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jazzthief

Reaction score
The February sale will be a feast. Can't imagine much folks are buying at this point .. I don't like the direction SS is going .. Too much fashion forward with some questionable colours lately .. They should really kick in with more classical approach or their demography are now 18-25 .. Lot's of clownish styles lately, imo .. At this point Spier and perhaps Kent Wang seems like a much better choice, especially if you are living in the USA where the SS is already much more expensive compared to EU .. It's almost in the territory of aforementioned brands ..

Suitsupply has nothing to fear until Spier & Mackay or anyone similar comes to Europe. A lot of people still buy from brick and mortar - in this regard Suitsupply has a huge presence that Spier & Mackay will not achieve in the near future if at all. This forum loves to fanboy Spier & Mackay, but their style can sometimes be a bit exaggerated - this forum overall seems to overstate the prevalence of classical mensware, though Suitsupply definitely could and should dial back to a more classical aesthetic as their collections really have gone overboard lately.

P.S. I, myself, like a lot that Spier & Mackay offers - their range of fabrics is impressive and much better than Suitsupply in my opinon. I still have not bought anything from them, but it is just a question of time until the Balmacaans arrive.

Last edited:

japejapejape

Reaction score
Spier has a lot of quality control issues they have to sort out. One of the main reasons I refuse to try out the Made to order stuff.
They still have a long way to go to catch up imo and their casual selections are boring

Suitsupply has def gone fashion forward but the custom made program has settled things for me. I really have just been waiting for the new releases so I can utilize the custom Made program
Also, I am very happy with the brick and mortar near me. Very helpful bunch

Jazzthief

Reaction score
Spier has a lot of quality control issues they have to sort out. One of the main reasons I refuse to try out the Made to order stuff.
They still have a long way to go to catch up imo and their casual selections are boring

Suitsupply has def gone fashion forward but the custom made program has settled things for me. I really have just been waiting for the new releases so I can utilize the custom Made program
Also, I am very happy with the brick and mortar near me. Very helpful bunch

I definitely subscribe to your second paragraph as their custom made program is more than decent - especially if one knows what they want and how one should get there (and so does the fitter). Nevertheless, Suitsupply has quality issues as well that in my experience is mostly related to stitching: every single piece I have from them, both off the peg and custom, have had bad stitching - some more, some less severe. These problems usually develop over time, but still rather quickly - only a couple of wears usually does it.

Suitsupply's knitwear is really subpar though. Awfully prone to pilling and tears. The single ply see through texture does not help matters either. I am still going to give that yellow rollneck a go though...

Last edited:

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
The February sale will be a feast. Can't imagine much folks are buying at this point .. I don't like the direction SS is going .. Too much fashion forward with some questionable colours lately .. They should really kick in with more classical approach or their demography are now 18-25 .. Lot's of clownish styles lately, imo .. At this point Spier and perhaps Kent Wang seems like a much better choice, especially if you are living in the USA where the SS is already much more expensive compared to EU .. It's almost in the territory of aforementioned brands ..

Curious as to what you'd like to see from Susu from a more classical approach?

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious as to what you'd like to see from Susu from a more classical approach?

I'd like to see them take a stab at higher rise trousers that aren't so skinny in the seat and leg, with less tapering (anything above 7.5 inches would be a trend in a good direction), and lower buttoning points on suits and sport coats OTR with slightly more length and drape.

Flight Of Ideas

Reaction score
I'd like to see them take a stab at higher rise trousers that aren't so skinny in the seat and leg, with less tapering (anything above 7.5 inches would be a trend in a good direction), and lower buttoning points on suits and sport coats OTR with slightly more length and drape.
+1, and slightly wider lapels.

lexxdeleon

Reaction score

Ahh so I use to work at Susu and the trousers you're describing is pretty much how I had my MTM trousers made up.

However, the average guys walking into a Susu (in the US anyways) are often times asking for more leg taper (even when advised against it) and asking why the rise is so high on the trouser lol. So I've found their fits are very suitable for their core target audience and it's unlikely we see them change that. I've heard that they use all the alteration data to tweak or help determine new fits, but unsure if that is actually true.

Similar story with the jackets, customers frequently asking to take their jackets in and asking why it's "so long."

The good news is their Custom program actually has a starting price lower than their RTW for basic fabrics and you can get for the most part the fit you want - that's if you're able to go in store and work with a knowledgable associate.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh so I use to work at Susu and the trousers you're describing is pretty much how I had my MTM trousers made up.

However, the average guys walking into a Susu (in the US anyways) are often times asking for more leg taper (even when advised against it) and asking why the rise is so high on the trouser lol. So I've found their fits are very suitable for their core target audience and it's unlikely we see them change that. I've heard that they use all the alteration data to tweak or help determine new fits, but unsure if that is actually true.

Similar story with the jackets, customers frequently asking to take their jackets in and asking why it's "so long."

The good news is their Custom program actually has a starting price lower than their RTW for basic fabrics and you can get for the most part the fit you want - that's if you're able to go in store and work with a knowledgable associate.

True. I’ve been a longtime customer of theirs, so I understand and agree with your point about their base customer, suit fit and alterations, and suit models. Looking to dip my toe in their custom online program.

Marccarlsson

Reaction score
Some thoughts on the whole "direction of Suitsupply", fashion forward etc.

As with any business, their goal is to sell as much as possible. Not much more to it than that.
But there are obviously many ways to accomplish this.

- Attractive brand for their main demographic
- A wide array of styles for their main demographic
- Great prices
- Great customer service

Appeasing to a smaller demographic is often times not worth it, but I would say they are infact doing the best they can here aswell.

By having their custom made program you can get all your menswear/classic styles at a pretty unbeatable price (atleast in EU). You get too choose your fabric. Their house fabrics should in my opinion be plenty for most people (that's the fabrics you can see online). If that isn't enough, you can choose pretty much any fabric by going to a store.

You want a lower buttoning point? Wider lapels? Longer jacket? Higher rise? More width in hips/thighs/foot? Pretty much everything can be done at no additional cost which is a pretty good deal.

You can't please everyones desires, but Suitsupply sure does the most to please most demographics.

Flight Of Ideas

Reaction score

As with any business, their goal is to sell as much as possible. Not much more to it than that.

- Great prices
- Great customer service

Appeasing to a smaller demographic is often times not worth it, but I would say they are infact doing the best they can here aswell.

By having their custom made program you can get all your menswear/classic styles at a pretty unbeatable price (atleast in EU). You get too choose your fabric. Their house fabrics should in my opinion be plenty for most people (that's the fabrics you can see online). If that isn't enough, you can choose pretty much any fabric by going to a store.

You want a lower buttoning point? Wider lapels? Longer jacket? Higher rise? More width in hips/thighs/foot? Pretty much everything can be done at no additional cost which is a pretty good deal.

You can't please everyones desires, but Suitsupply sure does the most to please most demographics.
Last time I was at SuSu, a wider lapel and lower buttoning point was not possible in custom made. Lapel wise, you could only choose between their three options (narrow, regular, wide). The wide one is comically wide. They did mention that the lapel width increses when choosing 2.5 button configuration but haven‘t tried it out yet.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- Great prices
- Great customer service

I get your point, and I don't disagree. In many ways, I'm actually appreciative of their business model. I do wonder what it would look like for them to toy around with some of those aforementioned classical elements, because I do like their creativity and take on things... sometimes. Just wondering what it would look like for them to throw a bone to the 5-8% of their market who would be potentially interested in those sort of things.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I was at SuSu, a wider lapel and lower buttoning point was not possible in custom made. Lapel wise, you could only choose between their three options (narrow, regular, wide). The wide one is comically wide. They did mention that the lapel width increses when choosing 2.5 button configuration but haven‘t tried it out yet.
Would be good to know more about the potential widening of a 2.5 button lapel. Yeh... I vacillate between liking their wide lapel option and not. And I'm a lapel guy. I love a substantial lapel that has presence, hence the reason I go for Spier's Neapolitan cut. With SuSu, perhaps it's that their wide lapel has a pretty high gorge and doesn't really have a roll. I don't know; I feel like it's almost there but not quite.

dapper3

Reaction score
Which newer creative takes are you a fan of?

I get your point, and I don't disagree. In many ways, I'm actually appreciative of their business model. I do wonder what it would look like for them to toy around with some of those aforementioned classical elements, because I do like their creativity and take on things... sometimes. Just wondering what it would look like for them to throw a bone to the 5-8% of their market who would be potentially interested in those sort of things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads