• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which newer creative takes are you a fan of?

I can't point to any one thing in specific. Generally, I treat their sites and ads like look books, where I gather ideas and inspiration. For example, I may see a pattern that I like, a new shade or color they're toying around with this season, how they put together outfits, etc.

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
True. I’ve been a longtime customer of theirs, so I understand and agree with your point about their base customer, suit fit and alterations, and suit models. Looking to dip my toe in their custom online program.

I honestly would not recommend the custom online program for you (or anyone who isn't happy with their RTW fit). You'll just get a RTW fit but get to choose some design options, which sounds like you wouldn't be happy with.

You would have to go in-store to get the adjustments input by an associate at the time of order for the fit you've described. I know going to a store isn't always possible for everyone, though.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly would not recommend the custom online program for you (or anyone who isn't happy with their RTW fit). You'll just get a RTW fit but get to choose some design options, which sounds like you wouldn't be happy with.

You would have to go in-store to get the adjustments input by an associate at the time of order for the fit you've described. I know going to a store isn't always possible for everyone, though.

Helpful. I live in LA, plenty of SuSu stores around. I might make a trip in to experiment with those options once Corona passes. Might take a stab at some custom online dress shirts through them, though. I see some stripes I like. Plus, SuSu shirts fill an interesting place in my closet; I'm of the rare breed who kind of likes them.

martingfx

Reaction score
Pretty sure I'll never buy anything RTW from SuSu again seeing as MTM cost (more or less) the same...

Jazzthief

Reaction score
Helpful. I live in LA, plenty of SuSu stores around. I might make a trip in to experiment with those options once Corona passes. Might take a stab at some custom online dress shirts through them, though. I see some stripes I like. Plus, SuSu shirts fill an interesting place in my closet; I'm of the rare breed who kind of likes them.

Why are Suitsupply's shirts disliked? I have five of them and I am pretty pleased with four of them. The only reason I do not like the fifth is because it has a classical collar with soft interlining that just does not hold well on me (soft narrow collars simply do not work on me) and the twill Egyptian cotton fabric is a tad too thick.

lexxdeleon

Reaction score

I'd recommend seeing Michael Rooders in Century City or Brandon Romero at the Newport Beach/Fashion Island shop. Michael is likely the most experienced MTM/custom Susu associate in the US since the previous head of MTM recent left.

I worked with Brandon for a couple years and helped train him in MTM. He likely has more time to spend with customers since their smaller location sees less traffic.

Both are super passionate about what they do and are menswear enthusiasts, not your average Susu associates.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are Suitsupply's shirts disliked? I have five of them and I am pretty pleased with four of them. The only reason I do not like the fifth is because it has a classical collar with soft interlining that just does not hold well on me (soft narrow collars simply do not work on me) and the twill Egyptian cotton fabric is a tad too thick.

IME: very, VERY slim cut; sleeves that suffocate my arms; fabric just not worth what SS charges.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IME: very, VERY slim cut; sleeves that suffocate my arms; fabric just not worth what SS charges.

Yeh, I've heard concerns around fabric not worth what SuSu charges when there are other companies whose shirts are better fabric/quality-wise.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend seeing Michael Rooders in Century City or Brandon Romero at the Newport Beach/Fashion Island shop. Michael is likely the most experienced MTM/custom Susu associate in the US since the previous head of MTM recent left.

I worked with Brandon for a couple years and helped train him in MTM. He likely has more time to spend with customers since their smaller location sees less traffic.

Both are super passionate about what they do and are menswear enthusiasts, not your average Susu associates.
Appreciate it!

Jazzthief

Reaction score

That certainly is interesting as I have found even their very slim fits to be too baggy and have had them taken in. I like reasonably roomy shirts not skintight shirts as well and I am not a skinny guy either. I agree on the fabrics though, they are decent, but nothing special.

I actually have found it odd that their shirts are so baggy considering that most of their other clothing - trousers and jackets especially - are so slim and tapered.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Wondering if I should size up so I can wear a suit or sportcoat underneath. Yeh, I don’t think it would keep me that warm, either. But as an East Coaster living in LA, I just like coats. Lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads