• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right about the 36 being too big - it's pretty obvious from the big bags near the armpits visible from the back. The length of the jacket is way past the knuckles. You could get a tailor to shorten that and take it in through the shoulders and slim the trousers (but you need a good tailor to go in through the shoulders and it might cost as much as a new Napoli suit for all that work.) But honestly, you can get away with it if you're a student on a budget.

The 34 jackets look about as good as you can get without any alterations. It's not baggy across the chest, the waist looks great, the sleeves are the perfect length, and the jacket length is great. Honestly I thought that was after you tailored it. As you mentioned - the trousers look snug in the thigh - I can't remember if the napoli comes with fabric to let out in the stride (running down the inside of the thigh) - if so you're pretty much set. Letting out the waist/seat should be no problem. If it's really uncomfortable and it bothers you to walk around and sit down in it, then you may need to try something else. But if you can get that corrected, you should keep 'em!

billabong

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on 2 new Napolis that I purchased. I have two prior Napolis in a 36R but I think the coat is too big around the shoulders and back length as well, but it's too late now because they have already been altered and worn (although they fit much better than my prior suit). Some of the photos may look weird because it was windy. The suits will be for work after I graduate and I want to start building a proper suit rotation. Here is one of my current Napolis in navy:

Hi option2ek9,
Could you plz tell me your measurement?
Thks

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Your pictures illustrate one of my biggest beefs with RTW jackets, which is sleeve pitch. The rippling on the back of the upper arms is very poor, but all too common these days. Who are hey making these jackets for? They will look fine if your arms are extended forwards like pushing a supermarket shopping trolley, but in any kind of repose with them by your sides out come the ripples again. And adjusting sleeve pitch is not a cheap adjustment.

option2ek9

Reaction score
Fidelcashflow, thanks for your feedback. I'm going to see what the tailor can do in terms of fixing the "too big" navy. For the 34R, I did notice that there is extra material along the leg, so hopefully the tailor determines there is enough material to make the trousers fit well.

Billabong, the measurements for the 34R and 36R are on the suitsupply website.

Cousindonuts, I put the "monstrosities" on because I had to hurry up and get to class, so putting on shoes was not an option. Any feedback regarding the new 34Rs? Photos are on the previous page.

Laniceman, I'm assuming your feedback is on the navy 36R which I had already mentioned was "too big" on the prior page? Do you have any feedback regarding the new 34Rs? Photos are on the previous page.

Thanks again for your feedback guys.

billabong

Reaction score
Fidelcashflow, thanks for your feedback. I'm going to see what the tailor can do in terms of fixing the "too big" navy. For the 34R, I did notice that there is extra material along the leg, so hopefully the tailor determines there is enough material to make the trousers fit well.

Billabong, the measurements for the 34R and 36R are on the suitsupply website.

Cousindonuts, I put the "monstrosities" on because I had to hurry up and get to class, so putting on shoes was not an option. Any feedback regarding the new 34Rs? Photos are on the previous page.

Laniceman, I'm assuming your feedback is on the navy 36R which I had already mentioned was "too big" on the prior page? Do you have any feedback regarding the new 34Rs? Photos are on the previous page.

Thanks again for your feedback guys.
Man, i'm just wondering b/w 34 and 36 like you, so i want to know your measurement so that i can pick the right thing.
I'm 5'8" and 135 lbs :)

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Use the sizing tool on suitsupply's website and order 2 sizes, return the one that doesn't fit. Using someone else's measurements will be less accurate.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your pictures illustrate one of my biggest beefs with RTW jackets, which is sleeve pitch. The rippling on the back of the upper arms is very poor, but all too common these days. Who are hey making these jackets for?
They're making them for guys like me - guys with posture that is fairly upright - but not "army-man at attention" upright. The pitch of the sleeves on my Napoli is perfect. RTW makers build clothes for their imaginary "average customer" - you are either lucky enough to fall in that category, or you need to find a different brand or go MTM. But I'd be pretty grumpy if they changed the sleeve pitch to accommodate your posture. option2ek9 almost has an excessively good posture - maybe it's the camera angle but his arms are almost behind him. Do you normally stand like that when you are relaxed, or are you just straightening up for the picture?

Last edited:

option2ek9

Reaction score
@ fidelcashflow, I typically stand like that (prior military).

Any other member feedback on the 2 new suits? It's pretty well established my older navy suit is "too big" so any comments regarding the navy suit is redundant.

Thanks again.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on 2 new Napolis that I purchased. I have two prior Napolis in a 36R but I think the coat is too big around the shoulders and back length as well, but it's too late now because they have already been altered and worn (although they fit much better than my prior suit). Some of the photos may look weird because it was windy. The suits will be for work after I graduate and I want to start building a proper suit rotation. Here is one of my current Napolis in navy:

The 2 new Napolis are a 34R and the coat feels perfect now in terms of fit and feel (feels snug and fitting), whereas my other 2 Napolis (36R) feel a bit bigger, but not too much. I have to let part of the coat out (if possible) around the upper waist because there is slight pulling at the top button. The only problem with the 34R is the pants are pretty snug in the upper thigh, waist and seat area, more so with the grey faux uni than the light gray. I am contemplating having a tailor let out the pants and waist if possible. I'm going to visit him tomorrow. Here are pictures of grey faux uni and light grey out of the box:

Thanks for your feedback regardless of how brutal I can sense some of the comments will be. If you guys find the 34R unfitting, I'm assuming OTR is not for me and I was contemplating trying black lapel for a made to measure suit instead.
I would say the point to point on the shoulders is a little off..looks a tad wide for you. Really nothing you can do there because making that right would involve collar work and that might affect the back. The chest is fine and clean.. the wrinkling on the right side is due to a lower right shoulder.. remedy would mean maybe adding a little to the right shoulder to provide some eveness..IMHO I dont think you need to go that far. Sleeve pitch is way off.. that will cost money to remedy.. over $100 at least for that alone..would also have to fix the back rise on the pants for the back to drape properly..and also hem the pants.. you might be able to take in the sides a smidge for shape purposes but you dont have too. Just my two cents. Hope this helps..

Last edited:

billabong

Reaction score
heh :3 exactly and i mean exactly the same measurements as you :) would be nice to know .. need to get myself a new suit :).

Thank you, maybe i will purchase Lazio suits and it could be fit better than Napoli
^ Use the sizing tool on suitsupply's website and order 2 sizes, return the one that doesn't fit. Using someone else's measurements will be less accurate.
I live in asia so it's not a good option
butbut.gif

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Also given that the Napoli is their least slim fit - have you tried anything in the Havana or Sienna cut? They have much less structure, and are slimmer than the Napoli. Might help given you're quite thin.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Likely going to order this Havana jacket in a 44L soon. I find it odd that they don't provide a lot of information on the cloth used and that the measurements provided don't include the shoulder. Free returns and exchanges are nice, but it would save a lot of problems if the company gave all the measurements needed to guess a proper fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads