• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugar addict

The Snob

Reaction score
I love candy. Obviously, calories in the form of sugar is like the worst possible thing there is. As the old adage goes, "Nothing gets you fat faster than sugar! Not even fat!". Anyway, I'm well aware that weight loss is all about cutting back calories, but in looking at a lot of the threads, I see people posting about avoiding certain foods (carbs mainly) if weight loss is the goal. But if net calories is the ultimate decider, is there really a huge difference (aside from how hungry you'd feel) in having a 1200/day diet filled with carbs (mm sugar) vs. a 1200/day diet that cut such things to a minimum?

(I am posting this as I guiltily enjoy a See's Lollipop. God, I could live on these things).

Cavalier

Reaction score
1200 calorie a day diet is never advisable......

And you're obviously better eating protein, fiber and complex carbs..

The Snob

Reaction score
well i'm a woman.. that's my NET caloric AIM. (so caloric intake after accounting for workouts). In reality, it ends up being more like 1400 because i loves the sugar. :/

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, there are huge differences in terms of energy and concentration, not to mention hunger and cravings. I had a major sweet tooth and would munch on sour patch kids like nothing else, then I cut out the sugar and I hardly crave them at all. I also find it much easier to reach my body composition goals when I am on a low-carb diet, but that is just my experience.

I satisfy what remains of my sweet tooth with avocados, extra crunchy jif, and protein powder mixed with light cream. And every weekend I allow myself a cheat meal or two (but not more than two) so it's not complete torture. It seems like that at first, but once you start you'll wonder why you ever did it any other way.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
I satisfy what remains of my sweet tooth with avocados, extra crunchy jif, and protein powder mixed with light cream.

Combined? I think I would throw up...

My cure is simply almond butter..

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Snob
But if net calories is the ultimate decider, is there really a huge difference (aside from how hungry you'd feel) in having a 1200/day diet filled with carbs (mm sugar) vs. a 1200/day diet that cut such things to a minimum?

(I am posting this as I guiltily enjoy a See's Lollipop. God, I could live on these things).

Sugars could spike your insulin levels, which would make it more difficult to lose fat.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
1200 calorie a day diet is never advisable......

I've actually been on a sub-1200 calorie diet 5 days of the week for the past 3 weeks, trying out a diet.

4119407652.jpg

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done 1200 kcal diets. Works well, but I only did them for maybe 3 or 4 days at a time to make weight.

kontai69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Sugars could spike your insulin levels, which would make it more difficult to lose fat.

Even more concerning would be the significantly increased likelihood of developing diabetes later in life. That and tooth decay.

I wonder if the OP has ever had her blood glucose level checked and/or gone to the dentist recently.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cutting out crappy sugars is something I'm trying to do. It's hard.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I've actually been on a sub-1200 calorie diet 5 days of the week for the past 3 weeks, trying out a diet.

4119407652.jpg

Holy crap, I'd starve to death

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hammel
I cut out the sugar and I hardly crave them at all. I also find it much easier to reach my body composition goals

plagiarist spam ****

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think as I got older, alcohol replaced sugar as a mild addiction.

But seriously, I used to eat a ton of sweets and put sugar in my coffee and tea. But not anymore.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Cutting out crappy sugars is something I'm trying to do. It's hard.

Seriously...

STOP BEING A *****

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads