• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Figuring out & sourcing my style

ThomGault

Reaction score
I've never tried them, but perhaps Proper Cloth or MyTailor. They're probably on the low end of the spectrum of quality and cost.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's a realistic price range to expect for a good pair of casual pants (Chinos? Not sure what those are beyond Google) and a collared short-sleeve casual shirt (non-polo)?

There are so many brands, stores, and names, and it's all totally unfamiliar.

I'm going to reply to you generally quoting this post.

For casual shirts I'd recommend J Crew or Banana Republic. Banana Republic's styles in their "custom wash" shirts (that is what they call them) are not what they were say five years ago. Still for quality and value you'll find it tough to beat them. J Crew's prices have fallen to near BR's level now which is great and they have better offerings in terms of patterns/prints. Their shirts are called "secret wash". Both brands offer a slim fit and a more standard fit. Both brands also offer their own oxford shirts. BR's are more of a modern oxford with stretch while J Crew's are more of a traditional oxford. I prefer Crew's oxford, but BR has a bit better "classic" variety right now. Thing is BR's slim fit is quite slim. Speaking of fits, I would think a medium Camden fit at BR and a medium classic fit at J Crew would work for you. Prices I've paid range from $14 (more the BR end) to $32 (more the Crew end, but I'd got Crew at $14 as well).

Chinos from either J Crew or BR would serve you well too. Again, value and quality at their price points will be tough to beat. I prefer Crew aesthetically, but in this instance I would think BR would be cheaper. BR has a small tag on their chinos just above the right back pocket, but you can easily cut it off. Anyway, you'd just have to find your fit. I recommend a slim for you, not a straight, relaxed or skinny. Slim may take getting used to and you might think they are tight, but if there is some room there they are not tight. Slim and skinny are not the same thing. Also, you may have to get used a taper. You should be able to readily get chinos for about $40 a pair.

Shorts are absolutely acceptable attire for any adult. I think you just want to make sure you get something that fits well enough and is "age appropriate" to a degree. Again, J Crew and BR would serve you well here. I love nice looking shorts (chino, linen, chambray, some prints), but I can't fathom paying $100 for a pair of shorts. With these two brands you won't have to. It'll be just a matter of fit and preference of fabric and/or print. I had some J Crew pairs in the past. Their Stanton fit is pretty basis and a nice fit the whole way round. However last year BR finally shortened their short length to 10" and I really love the pairs I got from them. Best part of it too was that they were maybe $14 a pair and are every bit a $100 pair of shorts is from a style, fit, print/pattern, quality... standpoint.

Short sleeve shirts might be a bit tough. First I'd recommend that you make sure you get something in a more relaxed fabric and not a short sleeve "dress shirt". BR has a great one this season, but from what I've seen it's selling well. Not on the site right now, but it's a chambrayesque shirt with little navy and white stitched mini I think ikat stitches. They will do one or two nice ones a season. Crew though is where most of mine are from. I love some of the ones I have from them, ranging from a standard s/s oxford or micro gingham to a Japanese inspired indigo print. Most of the above have chest pockets, but I'd highly recommend not using them for anything bar sunglasses and even then I don't. I just put my phone in my shorts pocket, and mine is an Apple phable, and then when driving or I get to my destination I just put it on my car seat or the table. $14-$32 range depending on the shirt and availability, but generally on the cheaper side of that spectrum.

Before I get into shoes, I will just address the above recommendations to a degree. Crew to an extent and especially BR are in my experience not "Styleforum approved brands" so much. Don't let that deter you from at least checking them out. And I would recommend checking them out in person as with Crew it looks nicer on the site than in person and with BR it looks worse on the site than in person. I would even recommend them for some of your professional attire depending on what you need (BR shirts at about $42 or so and pants at about $50 a pair, but you have to be a bit vigilant with the pants, though you could easily get them cheaper then too). They can easily be slotted in with more expensive brands. My selvage denim for example is all from Gap. Fit is great and quality from what I can tell is also excellent. And at $35 a pair I save a ton. I also get asked "where do you get your jeans from" pretty often. This is coming from someone who has a very large collection of Nigel Cabourn outerwear for example. Still it all works together. For me though things like shirts and especially pants are things that can wear down more over time in my opinion and so I'm less apt to spend on them. Sweaters however are something I will spend on and I wouldn't recommend the above brands much at all for those (though BR did some amazing sweaters about 7 years ago). Also, don't get too caught up in some brands. Brooks Brothers was mentioned. I've tried them twice now and the value isn't there even at sale prices, at least not in my experience. Knits were way overpriced even on sale and the fits needed some work. Ralph Lauren also comes to mind here. I love RRL, but apart from the designs the value isn't there.

On to shoes, I have invested in shoes. Comfort is one thing, but if you invest well and take care of your shoes you can always have the right pairs re-soled. While that won't be cheap, it will be the same or less than a cheap pair of shoes. I love my Aldens. I just take care of them though. Anyway, I would recommend say an Alden Indy boot as a casual shoe for denim.

First thing I would do though is determine what you like. You're at an age and point in life where you probably want to be thinking of not only what your personal style is but also longevity. Then move on to how fits work for you. Once you've determined both of those then you can start to shop.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's a realistic price range to expect for a good pair of casual pants (Chinos? Not sure what those are beyond Google) and a collared short-sleeve casual shirt (non-polo)?

There are so many brands, stores, and names, and it's all totally unfamiliar.

I'm going to reply to you generally quoting this post.

For casual shirts I'd recommend J Crew or Banana Republic. Banana Republic's styles in their "custom wash" shirts (that is what they call them) are not what they were say five years ago. Still for quality and value you'll find it tough to beat them. J Crew's prices have fallen to near BR's level now which is great and they have better offerings in terms of patterns/prints. Their shirts are called "secret wash". Both brands offer a slim fit and a more standard fit. Both brands also offer their own oxford shirts. BR's are more of a modern oxford with stretch while J Crew's are more of a traditional oxford. I prefer Crew's oxford, but BR has a bit better "classic" variety right now. Thing is BR's slim fit is quite slim. Speaking of fits, I would think a medium Camden fit at BR and a medium classic fit at J Crew would work for you. Prices I've paid range from $14 (more the BR end) to $32 (more the Crew end, but I'd got Crew at $14 as well).

Chinos from either J Crew or BR would serve you well too. Again, value and quality at their price points will be tough to beat. I prefer Crew aesthetically, but in this instance I would think BR would be cheaper. BR has a small tag on their chinos just above the right back pocket, but you can easily cut it off. Anyway, you'd just have to find your fit. I recommend a slim for you, not a straight, relaxed or skinny. Slim may take getting used to and you might think they are tight, but if there is some room there they are not tight. Slim and skinny are not the same thing. Also, you may have to get used a taper. You should be able to readily get chinos for about $40 a pair.

Shorts are absolutely acceptable attire for any adult. I think you just want to make sure you get something that fits well enough and is "age appropriate" to a degree. Again, J Crew and BR would serve you well here. I love nice looking shorts (chino, linen, chambray, some prints), but I can't fathom paying $100 for a pair of shorts. With these two brands you won't have to. It'll be just a matter of fit and preference of fabric and/or print. I had some J Crew pairs in the past. Their Stanton fit is pretty basis and a nice fit the whole way round. However last year BR finally shortened their short length to 10" and I really love the pairs I got from them. Best part of it too was that they were maybe $14 a pair and are every bit a $100 pair of shorts is from a style, fit, print/pattern, quality... standpoint.

Short sleeve shirts might be a bit tough. First I'd recommend that you make sure you get something in a more relaxed fabric and not a short sleeve "dress shirt". BR has a great one this season, but from what I've seen it's selling well. Not on the site right now, but it's a chambrayesque shirt with little navy and white stitched mini I think ikat stitches. They will do one or two nice ones a season. Crew though is where most of mine are from. I love some of the ones I have from them, ranging from a standard s/s oxford or micro gingham to a Japanese inspired indigo print. Most of the above have chest pockets, but I'd highly recommend not using them for anything bar sunglasses and even then I don't. I just put my phone in my shorts pocket, and mine is an Apple phable, and then when driving or I get to my destination I just put it on my car seat or the table. $14-$32 range depending on the shirt and availability, but generally on the cheaper side of that spectrum.

Before I get into shoes, I will just address the above recommendations to a degree. Crew to an extent and especially BR are in my experience not "Styleforum approved brands" so much. Don't let that deter you from at least checking them out. And I would recommend checking them out in person as with Crew it looks nicer on the site than in person and with BR it looks worse on the site than in person. I would even recommend them for some of your professional attire depending on what you need (BR shirts at about $42 or so and pants at about $50 a pair, but you have to be a bit vigilant with the pants, though you could easily get them cheaper then too). They can easily be slotted in with more expensive brands. My selvage denim for example is all from Gap. Fit is great and quality from what I can tell is also excellent. And at $35 a pair I save a ton. I also get asked "where do you get your jeans from" pretty often. This is coming from someone who has a very large collection of Nigel Cabourn outerwear for example. Still it all works together. For me though things like shirts and especially pants are things that can wear down more over time in my opinion and so I'm less apt to spend on them. Sweaters however are something I will spend on and I wouldn't recommend the above brands much at all for those (though BR did some amazing sweaters about 7 years ago). Also, don't get too caught up in some brands. Brooks Brothers was mentioned. I've tried them twice now and the value isn't there even at sale prices, at least not in my experience. Knits were way overpriced even on sale and the fits needed some work. Ralph Lauren also comes to mind here. I love RRL, but apart from the designs the value isn't there.

On to shoes, I have invested in shoes. Comfort is one thing, but if you invest well and take care of your shoes you can always have the right pairs re-soled. While that won't be cheap, it will be the same or less than a cheap pair of shoes. I love my Aldens. I just take care of them though. Anyway, I would recommend say an Alden Indy boot as a casual shoe for denim.

First thing I would do though is determine what you like. You're at an age and point in life where you probably want to be thinking of not only what your personal style is but also longevity. Then move on to how fits work for you. Once you've determined both of those then you can start to shop.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A popover shirt probably is the closest thing to a polo shirt.

Also, brown and blue socks are urgent needs.

The reply above and some others missed the mark due to the 39.5" waist. That is going to make it hard for most people to give specific pointers, although more than a few items at Brooks should fit. Orvis in general will work. For that age and body type in Texas, there's probably no reason to buy jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads