• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

************* STYLEFORUM X EPAULET NEW YORK TRAINERS/SNEAKERS **************

ChrisGold

Reaction score

To be a bit pedantic, it's not corrected grain. It's just glazed. Alden glazes their shell and nobody calls it CG. CG is when the leather is sanded and they bond a layer to the top with a printed/pressed leather grain pattern on it.

+1, and from the looks of the original photos, and as Michael pointed out, this was a very high quality leather... it just wasn't Shell.

Dencio

Reaction score
Just received the email last night. A little bummed out, but time to move on. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to get a refund and just use that and the code provided for something else in the store or a pair of either the Loden or Saddle sneakers. I am leaning towards the Loden since I have a few pairs of brown shoes already. I'm just concerned how it will work with my wardrobe.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

They still look pretty good though to be honest. It's just me but I can't get past the part where the factory would call corrected calf grain shell cordovan and market it that way.. 

To be a bit pedantic, it's not corrected grain. It's just glazed. Alden glazes their shell and nobody calls it CG. CG is when the leather is sanded and they bond a layer to the top with a printed/pressed leather grain pattern on it.

It's definitely a good looking leather, and there's nothing inherently wrong with it. I'm also not opposed to making shoes in it or selling it. It has a nice shine, it breaks in very well, and it's very comfortable. And kwanon's right - it's not technically corrected grain because it has a glazed top. Most sneaker leather is corrected because it's cheap and inconsistent. In this case, you've got a very nice piece of skin - and an expensive one at that - with a glazed top for effect. It gives a high-shine appearance, which I could easily see in a product like Lanvin or so.

Just knowing our customers, I figured that Couro Cromo would be a better substitute. It's not trying to look like any other leather and it has a beautiful, natural finish. We could also offer a very good price on it. For $200, it's really an excellent value.

For the record, the factory never called it "shell cordovan." It's called "cordovan" by the leather tannery - which is in Spain - and stocked in the factory under that same name. The factory had no idea about the project or what we wanted. They simply received a sample order for five sample sneakers in their available "cordovan" leathers. All of the orders and confirmations that detailed Comipel Shell Cordovan were only sent to the production agent.

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received the email last night. A little bummed out, but time to move on. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to get a refund and just use that and the code provided for something else in the store or a pair of either the Loden or Saddle sneakers. I am leaning towards the Loden since I have a few pairs of brown shoes already. I'm just concerned how it will work with my wardrobe.
I don't have any green shoes (yet) either but I'm convinced the loden color will work great with denim all year round.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any green shoes (yet) either but I'm convinced the loden color will work great with denim all year round.
Green is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't have any green then this would be a good place to start. I have one in Green shell from Rancourt, and another in Chameleon and Loden suede from EG on order.

AloysiusSF

Reaction score
Mike - echoing others here, but very much appreciate your transparency.

Question - how does the Mocha Couro Cromo compare to the fake Shell Cigar color?

lifeinabox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm in the same exact spot. I think some contrasting laces would make a big difference with the Loden.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Mike - echoing others here, but very much appreciate your transparency.  

Question - how does the Mocha Couro Cromo compare to the fake Shell Cigar color?

It's pretty similar in tone - a really rich dark brown. The Couro Cromo has a waxy finish, like Chromexcel, and it's a thicker skin overall.

It's not as reddish as the Alden Indy 403 boot. I'd say that it's similar in tone to this Rancourt shoe:

I still haven't received an email, are they still going out? 

Thanks for being upfront about all this.

Yes, and sorry about that. I meant to get out a bunch of emails today at work, but the store was surprisingly nutzo. I guess that a lot of people went shopping to escape the snow. I'm going to make it a late one tonight to get caught up, so don't be surprised if you see a message from me at 2AM. Thank god for that Blue Bottle New Orleans Ice Coffee in the little carton.

AloysiusSF

Reaction score
Mike - thanks for the response and guidance, just substituted my order with the Mocha - looking forward to it!

kwanon

Reaction score
It's pretty similar in tone - a really rich dark brown. The Couro Cromo has a waxy finish, like Chromexcel, and it's a thicker skin overall.

It's not as reddish as the Alden Indy 403 boot. I'd say that it's similar in tone to this Rancourt shoe:

Well that got ****** into gear and I finally filled out the form for the mocha replacement.

On another note: though it didn't work out in the end. When I put in my initial order my first choice of cigar was gone before I even saw the post. I ordered the oxblood instead (still rad!). I made a comment in the thread to that effect. Soon after, shortly after midnight, I got an email from Mike/@Epaulet . A cigar slot had opened up, and did I want to change my oxblood to cigar or order a second pair. Hell yes I did (switch). Thanks, man, for being so involved. Looking up my real name from my forum posts and contacting me directly. Just incredible.

I was a bit torn about posting this before because a lot of people still missed out and I didn't want to rub salt in the wound. But now that's all over it's just another example of their incredible service at Epaulet.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mercydcom