• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STP Isaia Bamboo?

deaddog

Reaction score
Anybody have one of these Isaia Bamboo jackets from STP? Can you comment on fabric and fit? From a few thread searches it appears that bamboo is similar to linen - but, is it nubby/rough like linen or silk, or is it a smoother finish like a wool gab?
Also, anybody know what the "brown/black bamboo" color looks like - no swatch on STP?

Thanks

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/2...t-For-Men.html

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only similarity bamboo has to linen is that it wrinkles, but not nearly as much as linen. The touch is more like cashmere, and looks similar to cashmere but with more shine like a silk blend.

I don`t know about the Isaia ones though...I`m just talking about my experience with bamboo in general.

pkincy

Reaction score
Dragon is right. It feels like cashmere but with a bit less nap. It draps better than silk and has a sheen like a wool/silk or cashmere/silk blend.

I will edit this in a bit with a picture.

Those are horn buttons not metal. It is an Isaia from STP.
Perry

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
45908_77
This coat is great. Decent price, too.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
pardon the ignorance, but is the fabric made from bamboo?

darkoak

Reaction score
So, folks who've had these bamboo jackets for a while, can you share your opinion as to durability and ease of maintenance? Does it retain its shape? Does bamboo wrinkle easily like linen? Is it prone to "shining" when pressed/drycleaned, like silk? I'm looking to get one of the Isaia bamboo jackets using the 50505 code, but would rather not bother if it's high maintenance.

Thanks.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bamboo coat by Corneliani, which is 1/4 lined, 3B patch pockets and I LOVE it! I only wore it for one season so can't comment on the long term durability but it seems fine otherwise. It does wrinkle easily, though not as much as linen, and the patch pockets tend to sag somewhat. Otherwise, it's the perfect summer coat: light, airy, softer than cashmere but not as delicate and with a silk-like sheen. I am now a big fan of bamboo.

pkincy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkoak
So, folks who've had these bamboo jackets for a while, can you share your opinion as to durability and ease of maintenance? Does it retain its shape? Does bamboo wrinkle easily like linen? Is it prone to "shining" when pressed/drycleaned, like silk? I'm looking to get one of the Isaia bamboo jackets using the 50505 code, but would rather not bother if it's high maintenance.

Thanks.

It is very delicate. It will easily stretch. And see the previous comments about sagging patch pockets. I only will use bamboo for flap pockets and will never open them.

Beautiful fabric but not hard wearing.

Perry

DandySF

Reaction score
Bamboo is almost a euphemism for rayon. Both are made in a similar process. Rayon is made from wood pulp and bamboo yarn is made from bamboo pulp.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
Bamboo is almost a euphemism for rayon. Both are made in a similar process. Rayon is made from wood pulp and bamboo yarn is made from bamboo pulp.

I have wondered about this. I'm a chemist and know that rayon is cellulose, as is bamboo pulp. It occurred to me that the recent bamboo craze could simply be clever marketing. Bamboo cellulose could be significantly different from the cellulose used to make rayon, however, and the processing could also make a world of difference. I don't know how the bamboo is processed compared to conventional rayon. Are there any experts in textile manufacturing who could enlighten us?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads