1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

STP Isaia Bamboo?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by deaddog, Sep 10, 2006.

1. deaddog

deaddog Senior member

Anybody have one of these Isaia Bamboo jackets from STP? Can you comment on fabric and fit? From a few thread searches it appears that bamboo is similar to linen - but, is it nubby/rough like linen or silk, or is it a smoother finish like a wool gab?
    Also, anybody know what the "brown/black bamboo" color looks like - no swatch on STP?

Thanks

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/2...t-For-Men.html

2. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

The only similarity bamboo has to linen is that it wrinkles, but not nearly as much as linen. The touch is more like cashmere, and looks similar to cashmere but with more shine like a silk blend.

I don`t know about the Isaia ones though...I`m just talking about my experience with bamboo in general.

3. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

Dragon is right. It feels like cashmere but with a bit less nap. It draps better than silk and has a sheen like a wool/silk or cashmere/silk blend.

I will edit this in a bit with a picture.

[​IMG]

Those are horn buttons not metal. It is an Isaia from STP.
    Perry

4. VMan

VMan Senior member

[​IMG] This coat is great. Decent price, too.

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

pardon the ignorance, but is the fabric made from bamboo?

6. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

[​IMG]

This coat is great. Decent price, too.

Don't believe it is bamboo however.

Perry

7. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

And this is a bamboo by Correale.

[​IMG]

Perry

8. VMan

VMan Senior member

Don't believe it is bamboo however.

Perry

Correct, this one is not. I just noticed it on the same page when looking at different color choices for that coat.

9. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

So, folks who've had these bamboo jackets for a while, can you share your opinion as to durability and ease of maintenance? Does it retain its shape? Does bamboo wrinkle easily like linen? Is it prone to "shining" when pressed/drycleaned, like silk? I'm looking to get one of the Isaia bamboo jackets using the 50505 code, but would rather not bother if it's high maintenance.

Thanks.

10. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I have a bamboo coat by Corneliani, which is 1/4 lined, 3B patch pockets and I LOVE it! I only wore it for one season so can't comment on the long term durability but it seems fine otherwise. It does wrinkle easily, though not as much as linen, and the patch pockets tend to sag somewhat. Otherwise, it's the perfect summer coat: light, airy, softer than cashmere but not as delicate and with a silk-like sheen. I am now a big fan of bamboo.

11. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

So, folks who've had these bamboo jackets for a while, can you share your opinion as to durability and ease of maintenance? Does it retain its shape? Does bamboo wrinkle easily like linen? Is it prone to "shining" when pressed/drycleaned, like silk? I'm looking to get one of the Isaia bamboo jackets using the 50505 code, but would rather not bother if it's high maintenance.

Thanks.

It is very delicate. It will easily stretch. And see the previous comments about sagging patch pockets. I only will use bamboo for flap pockets and will never open them.

Beautiful fabric but not hard wearing.

Perry

12. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

Thanks EL72 and pkincy.

13. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

Bamboo is almost a euphemism for rayon. Both are made in a similar process. Rayon is made from wood pulp and bamboo yarn is made from bamboo pulp.

14. thinman

thinman Senior member

Bamboo is almost a euphemism for rayon. Both are made in a similar process. Rayon is made from wood pulp and bamboo yarn is made from bamboo pulp.

I have wondered about this. I'm a chemist and know that rayon is cellulose, as is bamboo pulp. It occurred to me that the recent bamboo craze could simply be clever marketing. Bamboo cellulose could be significantly different from the cellulose used to make rayon, however, and the processing could also make a world of difference. I don't know how the bamboo is processed compared to conventional rayon. Are there any experts in textile manufacturing who could enlighten us?

15. discostu004

discostu004 Senior member Affiliate Vendor

didn't STP mark these down already and then mark back up?

16. Jared

Jared Senior member

A lot of the marketing stuff ascribes properties very similar to wood rayon. This was asked on Google Answers with nothing definitive, but some more detail on the process. And this patent claims that bamboo fibres are an alternative process. It sure looks like these are $800 rayon sportcoats. If Isaia makes them and if honourable members attest to their virtue, then perhaps we need to reevaluate the wool hegemony. [​IMG]

17. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I'm no chemist but bamboo ain't no rayon that's fer shur. I can't attest to it's physical properties but it feels nothing like rayon.

18. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

They feel quite different. Most would say the bamboo feels better. Also, it has odor-fighting properties. The likely reason is that bamboo is an unusual plant. Strictly speaking, it isn't even a wood. Here is a nice description. There is a bamboo viscose that requires chemical processing probably similar to that of rayon.