Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Fútbol • Calcio • Futebol - 2012-2013 Thread (Including EURO2012)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by El Argentino, May 22, 2012.

1. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Lol. How many more finals can he choke in?

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

That is the difference between very good and great players.

3. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

FIFA rankings are always so entertaining, Croatia ranked 8th in the world? They'll be lucky to get past Group, and I'd say Greece won't either

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Unlikely.

Their best hope is for a lot of draws in the other games and a win against Denmark and a draw against Holland. If they grab a draw, 4 points may be enough for the knockout rounds. I dont expect them to get more than that.

And they didnt do well against Denmark in the qualifiers.

The final has Germany Spain written all over it.

Last edited: May 25, 2012

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

They seem to. Definitely not a nationalist club like Lazio. They tend to reach out to many Argentinian players but there is a wide array of nationalities on that side. Just recently it was Sweden, Brazil, Holland, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, Croatia. But there are like 7 Argentines on that team.

6. hhenryhhh

hhenryhhh Senior member

Argentinians are pretty much Spanish speaking Italians anyway, amirite guys?

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Yes, while it was a haven for many fleeing from WW2 prosecution, the Italian connection is much older:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Argentine

Messi and Maradona are really Italians :nodding:

Just like most white Brazilian players like Kaka are really Portuguese.

8. romafan

romafan Senior member

Don't forget Serbia, Romania, Macedonia & Japan! And then there's Africa....

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Article in link making me hungry.... :nodding: Between WWI and WW2, there was a big controversy with Italy instituting the oriundi policy saying that any Argentine citizen could gain immediate dual citizenship by jumping back across the pond. Because of the economic difficulties of the time in SA from errant progressive policy, Italy called back a lot of Argentines to the "fatherland" and, if I may say so, won their early WCs in the 30s directly because of the import of naturalized Argentine players.

And while I do agree w/ the sentiment on Messi and Maradona being "italian" that sort of thinking would effectively eliminate the idea of immigration from a culture - and the reason nations destabilize today. When people coming into a nation are too keen on maintaining themselves as a separate minority, rather than assuming the nation's identity, you get all this factionalism resulting in (at least) cries of racism from within the country, such as here in the EEUU, and at worse, ethnic cleansing like in the Balkans throughout the 90s. While I take pride in Argentina, I consider myself fully "American" because of my (and my family's) choice to live here. No doubt it's the same w/ Messi, Kaká and the like, especially when their families have lived in their respective nations for generations beforehand.

Pep "suddenly" up to jump to another team. Surprise, surprise :sarcasm: Couldn't even wait until after the final today.

10. El Argentino

Also, Blatter apparently keen on changing the game's rules so as to eliminate the penalty shootout - saying it's unfair. waa-waa.

11. DLester

DLester Senior member

I can't recall anything he said that I agree with.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

He's the worst thing in Football. Worse that Suarez, Barton, Busquetes combined x 100.

13. El Argentino

:crazy:

14. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Can't stand Blatter but he's right in this case. ET has always been boring since they got rid of golden goal. Let them play until they drop and have a sub every 10 minutes no matter how many they have used.

15. comeonyouspurs

comeonyouspurs Well-Known Member

Haven't been here in awhile. Nice to see a new thread has been started. Quite butt hurt that Spurs got knocked from CL but it is what it is. Can't wait for Euros even though Portugal will probably collapse rapidly but what's new with the clubs I support. [​IMG]

At least I have this:
    [​IMG]