• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

European Cobbler Review - Schoenmakerij Stultiens, Netherlands

thomas199023

Reaction score
I decided to start a new thread, so this wouldn't get lost in the Shoecare Thread. We all know how hard it is to find a decent cobbler. I have seen a few threads come by in the last year asking for recommendations in Europe. I wanted to share my experience with Schoenmakerij Stultiens, a Netherlands based Master-Cobbler.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/schoenmakerij_stultiens/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/schoenmakerij.stultiens/

I was actually pointed to them by the JR Rendenbach on Instagram, after asking for recommendations in my area. The store is about a two hour drive from where I live, but they take mail in orders, so that is what I did. I was actually in contact with them via Instagram and email.

The shoes/project
I recently purchased a pair of second hand Saint Laurent Wyatt boots. Unfortunately they were a bit more worn than I thought they would be and were in dire need of a re-sole. As the uppers were totally fine, and I loved the look, I decided to send these to the cobbler. I first sent some pictures to them via email, to ask what was possible. I asked for a full resole with JR soles and heels, and steel tips, and also to re-attach the insole, as that was getting loose. They replied quickly and send me a picture with the soles they had available.

image0.jpeg

Unfortunately they did not have any stock of the full Pirolo (rubber tip) soles, only a half sole. So in this case I went for the full JR soles with logo. I did send them a picture of a recent Potter and Sons re-sole, and asked if they could do something like this, or just a total black sole like Saint Laurent has.

Potter and Sons example:

They told me the work would take about a week, and right at the one week mark, I got an Insta message the work was done. Together with some pictures that were taken during the re-sole process. Total cost including shipping back to me in NL, a very reasonable 114,80 Euro. I will use them for all my shoe restoration from now on, and cannot recommend them more to the Styleforum community! I will be sad when I actually wear them for the first time. Luckily that will be quite a while from now, as we're staying mostly put at home because of the virus.

If any of your are based in Europe, I would definitely recommend reaching out to them, via Facebook or Instagram would be easiest I think.

Before:
IMG_7584.JPG

And during/after repair, sent to my by them:
IMG_2486.jpg
IMG_2487.jpg
IMG_2488.jpg
IMG_2491.jpg
IMG_2490.jpg
IMG_2489.jpg

And some pictures I took myself after receiving them, including some close-ups.
IMG_8975.JPG
IMG_2644.JPG
IMG_3332.JPG
IMG_6277.JPG
IMG_9159.JPG
IMG_7520.JPG
IMG_4161.JPG

Last edited:

HoratiuS

Reaction score
I decided to start a new thread, so this wouldn't get lost in the Shoecare Thread. We all know how hard it is to find a decent cobbler. I have seen a few threads come by in the last year asking for recommendations in Europe. I wanted to share my experience with Schoenmakerij Stultiens, a Netherlands based Master-Cobbler.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/schoenmakerij_stultiens/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/schoenmakerij.stultiens/

I was actually pointed to them by the JR Rendenbach on Instagram, after asking for recommendations in my area. The store is about a two hour drive from where I live, but they take mail in orders, so that is what I did. I was actually in contact with them via Instagram and email.

The shoes/project
I recently purchased a pair of second hand Saint Laurent Wyatt boots. Unfortunately they were a bit more worn than I thought they would be and were in dire need of a re-sole. As the uppers were totally fine, and I loved the look, I decided to send these to the cobbler. I first sent some pictures to them via email, to ask what was possible. I asked for a full resole with JR soles and heels, and steel tips, and also to re-attach the insole, as that was getting loose. They replied quickly and send me a picture with the soles they had available.

View attachment 1356477

Unfortunately they did not have any stock of the full Pirolo (rubber tip) soles, only a half sole. So in this case I went for the full JR soles with logo. I did send them a picture of a recent Potter and Sons re-sole, and asked if they could do something like this, or just a total black sole like Saint Laurent has.

Potter and Sons example:

They told me the work would take about a week, and right at the one week mark, I got an Insta message the work was done. Together with some pictures that were taken during the re-sole process. Total cost including shipping back to me in NL, a very reasonable 114,80 Euro. I will use them for all my shoe restoration from now on, and cannot recommend them more to the Styleforum community! I will be sad when I actually wear them for the first time. Luckily that will be quite a while from now, as we're staying mostly put at home because of the virus.

If any of your are based in Europe, I would definitely recommend reaching out to them, via Facebook or Instagram would be easiest I think.

Before:
View attachment 1356494

And during/after repair, sent to my by them:
View attachment 1356486
View attachment 1356487
View attachment 1356488
View attachment 1356489
View attachment 1356490
View attachment 1356491

And some pictures I took myself after receiving them, including some close-ups.
View attachment 1356478
View attachment 1356484
View attachment 1356481
View attachment 1356480
View attachment 1356479
View attachment 1356483
View attachment 1356485

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience. I was just looking for a good cobbler I found your thread.
I wonder if the 114 European price included the soles or not? How can I send them the shoes. From Lahey. I live in Turkey but I don't think that i could find any cobblers here that knows JR or has a goodyear machine. I can send the shoes there via relatives. And exchange value difference makes the price tag more expensive for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads