• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So... Sexuality is a Choice...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
I'm never invited to the cool parties
confused.gif

I'm not gay but I'm sure I can emulate enough gayness to be the token ITG for a week or two.

Go native:
meridien.jpg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Yaaaay! You're hired.
smile.gif

And of course you are invited anytime. In fact, some of the SF resident Homos are trying to work out a trip to Paris at some point in the year and would enjoy meeting you for some Creme brulee and a trip to the Goyard store for some Fuschia Hot stamping on our luggage!

If you like fuchsia, shoes and Paris then a visit to the French Alan Flusser, Marc Guyot, is in order. He even has fuchsia gloves and can run up a nice hot pink 3-piece seersucker suit with cran Necker for you!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
connemakes a choice to be gay every time he posts.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
connemakes a choice to be gay every time he posts.

g33k is proof it is not a choice.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
g33k is proof it is not a choice.
this is true. edit: you bastard. good thing i didn't end up taking the LSAT. :p

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Sucrose

Reaction score
Just give it up, guys. Let gays just be gays, the same as you let straights be straights without having to "explain" or "justify" their behavior. Trying to "help" us with such justifications is actually just as damaging or counterproductive in the end as using it to hurt us. Just let us be what/who we are. If it ain't broke (and it ain't) don't fix it.

Does it make you straight guys' life more valuable or beneficial to know that some protein MAKES you love your wife? Or, would you rather just LOVE her?

Try to remember that gays aren't a monolithic group... we're individual people. If you REALLY want to help us, instead of resorting to science to "defend/save" us, just tell someone about a gay friend you have who is a wonderful person and worthy of getting to know. Science isn't going to get us all on the same page; it's going to be friendship.

I don't think the real issue is about homosexuality, rather the real issue is more about the nature of heterosexuality.

Viewed objectively, homosexuality isn't very remarkable. In fact, it's rather dull. What is remarkable, however, is the intensity of the reaction so many heterosexuals have to homosexuality. The reaction many heterosexuals have to homosexuality -even just the concept of homosexuality -is completely disproportionate to any actual consequence homosexuality could ever possibly have. So why are so many heterosexuals so obsessively fascinated by homosexuality? Why are so many heterosexuals so fiercely hostile to homosexuality when that hostility is baseless and irrational? I think these are the real issues.

So I agree that the investigation of the causes and origins of homosexuality isn't very compelling. However, I do think that investigating the causes and origins of homophobia and ****-obsessiveness is compelling, since homophobia is such a dangerous and destructive force.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
finally an admission.
bigstar[1].gif

I admit it. I am totally straight and was born that way.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree and this is more or less my view as well; I'm just worn out as these discussion have popped up a lot lately and I don't want to be the "token militant gay" around SF anymore (haha). I think GoSurface should take over for the month of March; SoCal gets April; why gets the first half of May (since his sexuality is more ambiguous).

Anyway, to add something both pithy and woefully unclear to your excellent remarks, I'll just add what a certain French philosopher said (you know the one)... something to the effect of "It's not so much about understanding homosexual desire as it is in making homosexuality itself desirable."

Thanks. I am always surprised by how obsessed people are with the gay, but I imagine that comes from having grown up around it. Also, I think your French friend is right, though I don't find his statement obscure.

brlfvr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sucrose
I don't think the real issue is about homosexuality, rather the real issue is more about the nature of heterosexuality.

Viewed objectively, homosexuality isn't very remarkable. In fact, it's rather dull. What is remarkable, however, is the intensity of the reaction so many heterosexuals have to homosexuality. The reaction many heterosexuals have to homosexuality -even just the concept of homosexuality -is completely disproportionate to any actual consequence homosexuality could ever possibly have. So why are so many heterosexuals so obsessively fascinated by homosexuality? Why are so many heterosexuals so fiercely hostile to homosexuality when that hostility is baseless and irrational? I think these are the real issues.

So I agree that the investigation of the causes and origins of homosexuality isn't very compelling. However, I do think that investigating the causes and origins of homophobia and ****-obsessiveness is compelling, since homophobia is such a dangerous and destructive force.

This is very well articulated.

iammatt I'm not sure I agree with the concept that people will be more accepting if they feel that you choose to be homosexual in the long run. It just continues to mislead parents of gay youth as well as others who have problems accepting it. Too many parents will still want to send their kids to various "change my kid back to hetero facilitys". I agree with Rach that most folks who want to push the issue of choice have an agenda and it's usually not for acceptance.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think being left-handed is a choice. There are people who have learned how to write with their right hand, the correct hand, through training. Left-handers are disgusting and against nature. It is a fetish.

You've just made the list list buddy. But then again, I'm sure you'll die feebly and quickly in the first wave of the Great Sinister Take-over.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brlfvr
This is very well articulated.

iammatt I'm not sure I agree with the concept that people will be more accepting if they feel that you choose to be homosexual in the long run.

That isn't really what I was trying to say. I think people will be more accepting only if they are convinced that there is nothing "wrong" with homosexuality. I just don't think that overreaching on the predetermined angle is going to get anywhere other than to create a new thing to argue about. The average person needs, I think, to learn that it is OK, not why it happens.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clearly not all heterosexuals are against homosexuality, or fascinated by it.
The strong reaction to it is a cultural thing, science, by explaining the causes of sexual preference can undercut a lot of the arguments of the commited homophobes - "its unnatural" or whatever, and help persuade the "casual homophobe" who is only against it because of what they have been told, not any reasoned position.
Ultimately it is a cultural thing and to think that the reasons for homosexuality vs heterosexuality, whatever they may turn out to be, have any bearing on whether it is right or wrong is naturalistic fallacy.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Unfortunately, millions of people in America hold the position that homosexuality is a choice and one can just be heterosexual if they choose. (See Ted Haggard)

Who are you calling dumb, exactly?
plain.gif

Tck13, your signature, I don't know how much (or if) you care for accuracy. It was Chief Sealth. There has never been a tribe member named "Seattle". Probably could have PM'ed this but couldn't waste an opportunity to try and derail this thread, which is stupid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads