• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So... Sexuality is a Choice...

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
Tck13, your signature, I don't know how much (or if) you care for accuracy. It was Chief Sealth. There has never been a tribe member named "Seattle". Probably could have PM'ed this but couldn't waste an opportunity to try and derail this thread, which is stupid.
His name was spelled several different ways not just "Sealth" as you say. Seathle, Seathl, See-ahth, or Seattle. I chose Seattle because it seemed like the easiest to spell at the time.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
His name was spelled several different ways not just "Sealth" as you say. Seathle, Seathl, See-ahth, or Seattle. I chose Seattle because it seemed like the easiest to spell at the time.

So... Orthography is a Choice?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
So... Orthography is a Choice?
Yep... in the end... it ALWAYS comes back to those poor-spelling birdwatchers.
lol8[1].gif

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score

Interesting, I did NW History as a minor at UW. Had to do research in all sorts of mediums and never came across the spellings you listed. My mistake, just being a brat.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
Interesting, I did NW History as a minor at UW. Had to do research in all sorts of mediums and never came across the spellings you listed. My mistake, just being a brat.
I don't mind at all and I'm sure you know much more about him / history than I do. I just found the quote and researched the quote to make sure there was such a person and they actually said the quote. I assume it's true? What's NW History? North Western History?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the sake of simplicity, let's say that one can only be homosexual or heterosexual (we all know that there's more to it than that, but...)

If sexuality is a choice, then that would mean that we all made a choice at some point between hetero and **** sexuality.

Then, that would also mean we all have equal sexual feelings towards the same and opposite sex and we chose between the two...

So, those advocating that we have a choice would really be bisexual, no?

This whole argument is silly but is advocated by those who say that "sexuality is a choice". Yes, we all have a choice as to who we want to ******** with but not what sex we are truly attracted to.

I can't wait until this topic is as passe as discussing a woman's right to vote.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I can't wait until this topic is as passe as discussing a woman's right to vote.
Not all of us are over that one yet.
devil.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
devil.gif

Jesus Matt how many times have I told you to wait until we're in the Brandy room to talk like that.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sucrose
I don't think the real issue is about homosexuality, rather the real issue is more about the nature of heterosexuality.

Viewed objectively, homosexuality isn't very remarkable. In fact, it's rather dull. What is remarkable, however, is the intensity of the reaction so many heterosexuals have to homosexuality. The reaction many heterosexuals have to homosexuality -even just the concept of homosexuality -is completely disproportionate to any actual consequence homosexuality could ever possibly have. So why are so many heterosexuals so obsessively fascinated by homosexuality? Why are so many heterosexuals so fiercely hostile to homosexuality when that hostility is baseless and irrational? I think these are the real issues.

So I agree that the investigation of the causes and origins of homosexuality isn't very compelling. However, I do think that investigating the causes and origins of homophobia and ****-obsessiveness is compelling, since homophobia is such a dangerous and destructive force.

Great post.

I do think, as a scientific matter, that understanding sexual orientation is a worthy, if very difficult, project. It may take many more years of work.

Homophobia is an immediate problem.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
devil.gif

You are my role model.
blush.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads