• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobby salespeople in high-end stores.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Returning to the original issue presented:

I have found the best place to shop in terms of service and extremely polite treatment to be Japan. Almost uniformly, regardless of the nature of the store and the way I was dressed, I received top notch service.

In NYC, my experiences have been far more mixed. However, unless the behavoir is over-the-top, I just try to ignore or to find a sales person more in tune with my needs.

kalra2411

Reaction score
How can you even think of saying that is not a rude and indecent comment?

Being as rude and unpleasant yourself is not teaching someone what is acceptable. You sir, are apparently deserving of the reception you receive. You teach behaviour by modeling it - you model poor behaviour, you receive poor behaviour - you are rude, and obnoxious, therfore you attract rudeness. You are a snob looking for a confrontation, and confrontation you get.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In NYC, I've never received bad treatment in clothing stores. Maybe because I appear more snobby than any salesperson could, lol. If I get any hint of being treated poorly, I out-snob them: talk without facing them, asking short abbrupt questions, turning my back when they start talking, walk around the store while talking to them which makes them follow me around like a puppy dog, making them get stuff from the back, etc... they do not want to play this game with me.

kalra2411

Reaction score
You are misunderstanding the situation, I agree with your views, but you do not express them in a manner, which leads for you to deserve to express such views.

You continually make comments, which imply self-praise of you written communication ability, yet I have proven you wrong with quotes on several occasions.

It is not my interpretation, what you said is very clear, and I will not beleaguer myself to re-quote you own words.

You continually make criticisms about me with no grounds:

Additionally, you, kalra are a hypocrite - feeling free to stand in judgement of others yet through your own misinterpretation of an opinion doing the same to others. You claim I make personal insults to Marc, yet you to personally insult me - hypocritcal.

Firstly, as you make yourself, ever grander with the quality of your written communication, may I correct your spellings?

Judgment not Judgement

Hypocritical not Hypocritcal

Secondly, WHERE OR WHEN DID I INSULT YOU?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All arguments aside, Marc thought nothing of publicly announcing that he knocked a woman down, as retaliation for her being rude to him. How could anyone not find that disturbing and offensive, at the least??

kalra2411

Reaction score
We could give him the benefit of the doubt, and assume he is not online.

Although, I remain that he was indeed wrong, I am simply criticising the manner in which people are addressing him.

I must say A Harris, a very deep observation though...

kalra2411

Reaction score
Confrontation inplies no violence - any response, verbal, physical or otherwise, is a confrontation.

You make no sense here, firstly you say that confrontation implies NO violence, then you go on to say that PHYSICAL is implied by confrontational.

I cannot understand why you say that anyway. Marc was clearly violent.

It is not what you said that I did not like, it was the way you said it.

May I suggest you re-read what is being said before you jump to conclusions? I.e. I am insulting you, which I clearly am not.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Confrontation inplies no violence - any response, verbal, physical or otherwise, is a confrontation.
You make no sense here, firstly you say that confrontation implies NO violence, then you go on to say that PHYSICAL is implied by confrontational. I cannot understand why you say that anyway. Marc was clearly violent.
His statement was correct, if vaguely worded. "Confrontation" does not imply violence; any response whether verbal, physical, or otherwise, is a confrontation. Anyway, this is indeed hijacking of the thread, as you are discussing not only issues unrelated to the topic but doing so in a confrontational manner, which makes people lose interest in the thread - thus contributing less - and makes us all learn less. If you wish to discuss the implications of pushing a rude woman over to teach her a lesson, or the propriety of accusing a person who reports he has done so of being violent, or the use of outlandish adjectives to describe such behaviour, kindly start a separate topic, in the General Chat section, with an appropriate title, so uninterested members may avoid the conversation.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has it occurred to anyone that Marc37's post might have been intended as satire? It sounded quite reminiscent of American Psycho to me. Marc37 wrote a faux Jason Bateman narrative and the entire board took it seriously.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has it occurred to anyone that Marc37's post might have been intended as satire? It sounded quite reminiscent of American Psycho to me. Marc37 wrote a faux Jason Bateman narrative and the entire board took it seriously.
Whether it was intended as satire or not, I shall not attempt to comment. But, regarding the tonality of the post as something similar to the Ellis character Patrick Bateman in his novel "˜American Psycho', I must argue that it is not at all reminiscent of Bateman's ultra-violent and psychotic behavior. And, at the same time to suggest that a member of the forum is in fact on the same level with a character that horribly murdered, mimed, raped, and cannibalized well over 100 people is just stepping beyond both the bounds of decency and civility.

If we must discuss any aspect of American Psycho, can we at least keep to the spirit of the forum and discuss the wardrobe worn by people in the novel (or the movie version of the book)?

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics