Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Snobby salespeople in high-end stores.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by marc37, Jul 1, 2004.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

(Classic @ 01 July 2004, 11:23) I do not know why, but every time I visit an Armani store, I get the worst possible service. Whether I am being served by a "kid" who knows nothing, or by a "seasoned professional", their attitude and "holier than thou" tone is primary. It is as if they are trained to treat their customers badly. Regardless of whether I am dressed in a business suit, or in shorts and t-shirt, the service has always been terrible. Particular mention goes to the staff at the Outlet Store in Orlando, who displayed superstar levels of arrogance. Classic
    Armani: tell me about it. l have had nothing but rude service from people (young kids and the boss) at Armani. ln one Armani store (in a dept store mind you), l am always ignored [no matter what l wear, Armani or not]. They always have dumb looking kids that just smile at you and don't want to help. At the other Armani store/boutique, there is the owner who is very snobby. Eventhough l sometimes go in there wearing Georgio Armani, he always states: do you know this costs $**** and other such non-sense. These days l just tell him how ordinary his suits are and why they are so ordinary and state 10 reasons why l would prefer to shop at Borrelli. l also tell him that the reason he looks so stressed and miserable is because he doesn't sell enough Armani: l also tell him that he doesn't sell enough Armani because he has a bad attitude and that l tell everyone possible to avoid him because of his attitude. Needless to say., this idiot hates my guts. l speak to the guy like he is a little kid. The people at Farragamo are idiots too. They don't know anything. They smile at you [with there stupid looking faces] as if to say: can you afford this because l certainly can't. l tried on a top pair of Farragamo boots ($1,250) once and l had this dopey looking sales person with a stupid look on his face: l would have bought the boots but l didn't like the person. Anyway: the boots l were wearing were much better than the $1,250 Farragamos. At Gucci the salespeople follow you around like a dog. They must think you are going to either steal or wreck something. When you are checking out the clothing, they stand right behind you [even if you are very well dressed]. Talk about the height of rudeness. l am convinced that these people cannot relate to high end shopping: maybe the average shopper would steal something but not the average high end shopper. These sh*tkicker salespeople can only relate to their own experiences. MISS LOUISE The worst shopping experience ever. The shop owner is one of the meanest people around. lt was a rainy Saturday morning and l decided to buy some Jimmi Choos for my girl. l was dressed very ordinary in one of the snobbiest shops around. l was trying to check out the shoes: during the 15 minutes l was asked [rudely and abruptly] around 20 times- can l help you sir? (This shop is the size of a master bedroom). l was also rudely told to stop handling the shoes on [around] 15 occasions. (The sales girls were just in shock at how calm l was for such extreme rudeness). l then proceded to ask the owner about the construction and that l didn't think she offered a quality product for the prices. She was furious and started to shake. l then left. Funny enough: after spending $1,000 else where, l seen her walking along the street after locking up the shop in the arvo: l made out l slipped and knocked her face first into the wet gutter and she ended up tearing her expensive designer clothing. l smiled and told her to watch where she was going. (This women is so mean and up herself that she has a reputation for snubbing everyone but the rich and famous: she loves Kylie Minogue. She is even above free media publicity). Â ADVICE lf anyone asks "can l help you" more than twice tell them hard and abruptly: You have asked me that question twice now, l have have told you, if l need your help l will ask. Always keep the upper hand. Be friendly but firm. Be an arrogant nightmare to snobs.
    That's a bit extreme do you not think? Besides that she might have sued you. With justification.

2. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Incidentally:

I have an nice professional relationship with the Manager of all of American sales in Armani.

Do you think that its worthwhile to bring this thread up to her? (Sans the Woman bashing part)

LMK popular consensus.

JJF

3. marc237

marc237 Senior member

I would think (discounting Marc37's comments for the moment) that a responsible senior level management person would wish to know whether there is a concern that employee attitude is driving away customers. A friend of mine works retail at the mid-level and he is genuinely concerned about the difficulty in obtaining and retaining employees who bring an effective mix of skill, committment, and manners to the selling floor. (He would have friends frequent his stores just to report back on the manner in which they were treated so that he could follow up.)

I almost always approach the management in any establishment where I receive either particularly poor or particularly good service. I find that more than 80% of the time, the feedback is appreciated.

So, yes, I think this is a good idea.

4. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

I think some of us are out stepping our limits with Marc37 (namely Marc237 FzyLgic and FIHTies). Moreover, the aforementioned really need to learn the deviation between what LabelKing and I said to Marc37.

Whether or not it is your opinion that what Marc37 did was wrong (as LabelKing and I also stated). I think the rest of you (namely Marc237 FzyLgic and FIHTies) lack the decency in its entirety to assume; from a single event; that Marc37 is a violent and indecent person.

I never knew that Marc237, FzyLgic, and FIHTies policed the world and were the last word in what is right or wrong.

Please realise that I am not siding Marc37 in any way, and I agree what he did was wrong, but your behavior with him is of equal indecency.

ImageWIS on a separate note; this is the same reason why the argument between us on the NM thread began; you out stepped your limits with me by doubting my identity, therefore my reaction was obvious. Fraud is not something I look kindly upon, and yet less so when I am called one.

5. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

I too think it is a good idea.

6. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Translation of part one... Sometimes it really is OK to hit a woman who was rude to you and that doesnt label you a "bad and violent" guy...

Translation of Part two... Jon. I still want to argue about who I am and how rich I am. STEVE B. CAN YOU UNLOCK THAT THREAD???

Please note: The Views expressed here are not the views of FIHTies.

JJF

7. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

(kalra2411 @ 01 July 2004, 6:04) I think some of us are out stepping our limits with Marc37 (namely Marc237 FzyLgic and FIHTies). Moreover, the aforementioned really need to learn the deviation between what LabelKing and I said to Marc37. Weather or not it is your opinion that what Marc37 did was wrong (as LabelKing and I also stated). I think the rest of you (namely Marc237 FzyLgic and FIHTies) lack the decency in its entirety to assume; from a single event; that Marc37 is a violent and indecent person. I never knew that Marc237, FzyLgic, and FIHTies policed the world and were the last word in what is right or wrong. Please realise that I am not siding Marc37 in any way, and I agree what he did was wrong, but your behavior with him is of equal indecency. ImageWIS on a separate note; this is the same reason why the argument between us on the NM thread began; you out stepped your limits with me by doubting my identity, therefore my reaction was obvious. Fraud is not something I look kindly upon, and yet less so when I am called one.
    Translation of part one... Sometimes it really is OK to hit a woman who was rude to you and that doesnt label you a "bad and violent" guy... Translation of Part two... Jon. Â I still want to argue about who I am and how rich I am. Â STEVE B. Â CAN YOU UNLOCK THAT THREAD??? Please note: Â The Views expressed here are not the views of FIHTies. JJF
    No, it means only what it said, I think you need to put aside your immature, and I am the God of this message board attitude. I will make it clear here now (I think it was clear enough, but our friend FIHTies is not accustomed with the English language) MARC37 WAS WRONG. As for the second part, I do not wish to argue with Jon, more so I was looking toward a solution.

8. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Forgive me in advance, but I respectfully disagree.  Your e-mail assumes that I believe, in balance, that Marc37 is a "violent and indecent person."  I made no such claim.

Rather, I criticized his arrogance and lack of being a "gentleman" for pushing a woman to the street for having purportedly been rude to him.  You appeared to have agreed that the conduct was "extreme".

I am prepared to stand by my position that pushing a person to the street, particularly a woman, is not the act of a gentleman and the willingness to proudly boast of how that pushing was intended to teach a lesson displayed boorish arrogance.

Moreover, as a fellow poster to this forum, I have the right to express an opinion as to the appropriateness of certain conduct. I do feel that it is not appropriate to allow certain behavior, such as pushing people or bragging of having done so, to pass by without remark.

9. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

(marc37 @ 01 July 2004, 3:52) How are people supposed to learn what is acceptable and what's not if we don't let them know? lf people aren't pulled up for there mistakes or shown consequences for their actions, they will continue to be unpleasant scumbags. We have an obligation to teach others what is acceptable. Animals in the wild punish younger cubs etc when they are out of line. lt is the same here. The lady was the poor dumb animal and l was her teacher. [​IMG]
    I am appalled at the thought that you just might be serious. Â I am almost as appalled that you are not serious, but thought that it would be amusing to post a story describing how you assaulted a woman to this forum. Â Either way, you, sir, are no gentleman.
    Marc 237, I think you misunderstood, I agree with you wholeheartedly, but I do feel that the comment as quoted above was quite out of order. Almost, and may I repeat that I mean almost here and not to the full extend, as bad as what Marc37 himself did.

10. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

Perhaps it is just me, in England if you said that to someone in those words, you would be looked at as the wrongdoer.

11. marc237

marc237 Senior member

(marc237 @ 01 July 2004, 8:59)
    How are people supposed to learn what is acceptable and what's not if we don't let them know? lf people aren't pulled up for there mistakes or shown consequences for their actions, they will continue to be unpleasant scumbags. We have an obligation to teach others what is acceptable. Animals in the wild punish younger cubs etc when they are out of line. lt is the same here. The lady was the poor dumb animal and l was her teacher. [​IMG]
    I am appalled at the thought that you just might be serious. Â I am almost as appalled that you are not serious, but thought that it would be amusing to post a story describing how you assaulted a woman to this forum. Â Either way, you, sir, are no gentleman.
    Marc 237, I think you misunderstood, I agree with you wholeheartedly, but I do feel that the comment as quoted above was quite out of order. Almost, and may I repeat that I mean almost here and not to the full extend, as bad as what Marc37 himself did.
    Sir, I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree. I continue to believe that my comment was relatively mild and proportional. Moreover, contrary to your earlier stated assumption, my comment did not involve my passing judgment on anything but the two appalling acts described: (1) pushing a woman to the ground without justification and (2) defending the conduct when it was publicly questioned by several forum members. In any event, thank you for sharing your concern.

12. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

Those do not sound to be very gentlemanlike descriptions. It is not you ideology which I was criticising, simply the way you expressed your opinion. Moreover, it was to say the least, a little outlandish.

13. marc237

marc237 Senior member

I am prepared to stand by my position that pushing a person to the street, particularly a woman, is not the act of a gentleman and the willingness to proudly boast of how that pushing was intended to teach a lesson displayed boorish arrogance.
    Perhaps it is just me, in England if you said that to someone in those words, you would be looked at as the wrongdoer.
    Fascinating issue of cultural divergence. I will forward this thread to my English relatives. I suspect the question of national differences will elicit a detailed response. I am forced to wonder whether my response would generate disapproval throughout all of the English. An interesting question and one that is hard to test.

14. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

Marc237, as you may realise, I was not making the comment to only yourself, it was a generalised comment to three users, and the factors which you addressed such as passing judgment, I am sorry to have genralised all three of you, but that was namely FzyLgic, with the below quote:

15. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

The Story about George Bernard Shaw goes as follows:

George Bernard Shaw found himself seated next to an attractive woman at a party. "Madam," he said, "Would you go to bed with me for a thousand pounds?" Indignant, she refused. Her persisted and she admitted that for 50,000 pounds she'd agree. Then Shaw asked, "And if I were to offer you five pounds?"

The woman exclaimed, "Mr. Shaw. What do you take me for?"

"We have already established that," Shaw replied. "Now we are merely haggling over the price."

i think that the point is evident, however just so that we are totally clear: Barring a life threatening situation, There is no excuse for hitting a woman and certainly one whom has perhaps insulted you. One who does that and especially as a result of so slight an infraction is certainly a violent and indecent man. Today its because of the rudeness, tomorrow its because of the clothes she wears which he doesnt like, the next day, cause he had a hard day at the office, and onward in a downward spiral. We have established what he is, now we are haggling over what his breaking point is.

As far as being the G-d of the boards and dictating what is right and wrong here, I think it appropriate to paraphrase Marc37 and say that cubs in the wild need to be corrected.

JJF