1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Snobby salespeople in high-end stores.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by marc37, Jul 1, 2004.

1. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Shirt collar is too short (even for a spread).
    Yes, but I make it a point not to criticize those wielding an axe.
    Most excellent reason. [​IMG]

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Personally, I thought that it was just a joke that he knocked her down, and he was trying to appear sarcastic, and I thought it a fairly intelligent joke.

You guys ever see parts in movies (High Fidelity comes to mind), where they show a character getting pissed at someone else, then they attack them, but the camera quickly switches back to reality? They play the whole scene as if it happened, then show you that it didn't. It's just sarcasm. I'm sure that lady would sue Marc if he really assaulted her. I thought it a joke and didn't think twice about it until other posters started mentioning it, then I thought, "Wow, who does that? Pushing women into the curb..."

On the other topic, I heart obscenely short collars and thin cuffs. Perhaps that goes with my hearting of obscenely skinny ties?

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

And this common thread hijacking is very annoying, and is rude, particularly to the original poster.
    Brian, please note: 1.\tAll comments relate to the original poster 2.\tThey also relate to the topic in question 3.\tJust because you see many posts, you somehow think the thread has been hijacked. Am I correct? 4.\tIs that not the nature of an internet message board anyway? To discuss the topic, and related topics, if the opportunity does arise; in the same way as a conversation. 5.\tIf Marc37 had a problem, I would ask that he voice his opinion, and not you. 6.\tI promise to stay directly to the topic on any post which you start, however, I would also ask that you do not make comments for others, that you do not yet know to be true.
    Kalra, I see your point, but they are two different things: talking with the poster about the subject, and throwing mud at them. It turned from a humorous topic into a flame war (more or less exaggerated). In response to point 3, No, I do not think it has been hijacked simply because there are many replies on it. I think it has been hijacked because 80% of the replies on it are bashing each other, calling each other frauds, and arguing around the same damn thing that I find arguments about on nearly all 5-page-plus posts. And since I am choosing strategically which of these points I will respond to, on point 5, I feel I have a right to voice something sensible here because it's like watching my neighbors across the street yell at each other all the time. It's just plain annoying.

4. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

(kalra2411 @ 01 July 2004, 4:10) Quote And this common thread hijacking is very annoying, and is rude, particularly to the original poster.
    Brian, please note: 1.\tAll comments relate to the original poster 2.\tThey also relate to the topic in question 3.\tJust because you see many posts, you somehow think the thread has been hijacked. Am I correct? 4.\tIs that not the nature of an internet message board anyway? To discuss the topic, and related topics, if the opportunity does arise; in the same way as a conversation. 5.\tIf Marc37 had a problem, I would ask that he voice his opinion, and not you. 6.\tI promise to stay directly to the topic on any post which you start, however, I would also ask that you do not make comments for others, that you do not yet know to be true.
    Kalra, I see your point, but they are two different things: talking with the poster about the subject, and throwing mud at them. It turned from a humorous topic into a flame war (more or less exaggerated). In response to point 3, No, I do not think it has been hijacked simply because there are many replies on it. I think it has been hijacked because 80% of the replies on it are bashing each other, calling each other frauds, and arguing around the same damn thing that I find arguments about on nearly all 5-page-plus posts. And since I am choosing strategically which of these points I will respond to, on point 5, I feel I have a right to voice something sensible here because it's like watching my neighbors across the street yell at each other all the time. It's just plain annoying.[/quote] Okay, true. However, may I bring up point 4, I think that it is only because of my intervention, that this became such an interesting thread. I agree with your response to point 5.

5. hermes

hermes Senior member

judgement is an acceptable variant of judgment

in canada, you will find both versions used, usually judgment is found now relating to legal matters, as in a judgment of the court, whereas, judgement has become more popular - i believe the use of judgement in the USA is more popular; i have even encountered it on american court documents on numerous occasions

as for armani, try getting service at the armani complex in milan, you can be be literally the only person in the casa section or the floral section etc and still not be able to get any assistance, truly disheartening

6. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

One salesperson with whom I had a very pleasant experience: Pierre Lenis of Bergdorf Goodman. You can find him in the custom clothing section. Mr. Lenis is, quite simply, a very nice person.

7. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

I'd like to mention Alan Bair, who is in charge of the Bergdorf made-to-measure shirt program on the first floor. Alan has always been pleasant, unpretentious and attentive.

8. mano

mano Senior member

When I was in Denver last September, I went to
    Homer Reed LTD
    1717 Tremont Pl.
    Denver, Colorado 80202
    USA
    Phone: 303-298-1301

The nicest, most appropriately helpful and knowledgeable group of salespeople you'd ever want to meet. I went in 2-3 times as I was staying right next door, and didn't buy a thing, but really enjoyed talking with them.