• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Group photo of G&G Canterbury on DG70 burgundy cordovan, Carmina boot on Robert-last in Cognac Crodovan and C&J Avebury on 337 in black calf
Unfortunately I managed to pull the pull strap a bit too hard on the canterburys :(
Missing are the - not yet ordered - EG Shannons on 82 last in a dark brown colour (don't know which yet and I am still not sure which sole option to go for)

oh man, i love your carmina bal boots, absolutely stunning, makes me want to order a pair

edit: are they MTO?

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Guys, I've decided what I want to happen to me when I die... I'm not going into the ground in that Kenneth Cole shaped thing, though. Will G&G be interested for the right price?

Haha just what I thought: all that trouble and makes a hideous square-toed horror like that!

Docker

Reaction score
Ive found a pair of now discontinued church sydney monk shoes that have been well worn for £40 and i can get them refurbished direct fron church for £90 including the insoles, heelsocks and pads saving me £145 if i were to buy brand new. Do you guys think its a good idea?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Ive found a pair of now discontinued church sydney monk shoes that have been well worn for £40 and i can get them refurbished direct fron church for £90 including the insoles, heelsocks and pads saving me £145 if i were to buy brand new. Do you guys think its a good idea?

It's tempting; I've never had a shoe completely refurbished like that by the maker. If you do it, I'd love to see a before and after.

My instinct is that "well-worn", especially on a plain-toe monk, may or may not come back to a fresh-looking standard. Assuming you're in the EU and paying VAT, then your sums make sense, but I might still be tempted to get some of the last new-in-box stock if you love the shoe. And that's the other thing: do you love it, or are you thinking "actually I wouldn't mind a monk in this colour" because it's cheap? If it's the latter, put your £135 towards something you really like instead.

If it looks fundamentally sound (no tears, or damage to the welt), and if you really like the shoe then I guess it's worth a punt for half the new price. But if you're just tempted because it's there, my experience suggests it won't get the wear to justify it, and you're better saving the cash up for something that keeps you awake at night.

Here's one more thought: for the same price as a maker's refurbishment, you might be able to get a restoration, resole and custom patina from someone like Alexander Nurulaeff at "Dandy Shoes" Italy. If you want something completely different but in that lovely classic 73 last shape, then perhaps that's the way to go? I've been thinking about that for a while; I'm just looking out for the right "base" shoe to experiment with.

Last edited:

Docker

Reaction score

It's tempting; I've never had a shoe completely refurbished like that by the maker.  If you do it, I'd love to see a before and after.

My instinct is that "well-worn", especially on a plain-toe monk, may or may not come back to a fresh-looking standard.  Assuming you're in the EU and paying VAT, then your sums make sense, but I might still be tempted to get some of the last new-in-box stock if you love the shoe.  And that's the other thing: do you love it, or are you thinking "actually I wouldn't mind a monk in this colour" because it's cheap?  If it's the latter, put your £135 towards something you really like instead.

If it looks fundamentally sound (no tears, or damage to the welt), and if you really like the shoe then I guess it's worth a punt for half the new price.  But if you're just tempted because it's there, my experience suggests it won't get the wear to justify it, and you're better saving the cash up for something that keeps you awake at night.

Here's one more thought: for the same price as a maker's refurbishment, you might be able to get a restoration, resole and custom patina from someone like Alexander Nurulaeff at "Dandy Shoes" Italy.  If you want something completely different but in that lovely classic 73 last shape, then perhaps that's the way to go?  I've been thinking about that for a while; I'm just looking out for the right "base" shoe to experiment with.

Yeah it is a pair that ive wanted for quite a while and the saving allows me to buy a pair of loakes as well so its tempting to do, jusy a matter of how new they can get them looking based on peoples experiences, the uppers itself are in good nick its just the soles mainly nd i want to get the insoles done for the second hand reason.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's tempting; I've never had a shoe completely refurbished like that by the maker.  If you do it, I'd love to see a before and after.

My instinct is that "well-worn", especially on a plain-toe monk, may or may not come back to a fresh-looking standard.  Assuming you're in the EU and paying VAT, then your sums make sense, but I might still be tempted to get some of the last new-in-box stock if you love the shoe.  And that's the other thing: do you love it, or are you thinking "actually I wouldn't mind a monk in this colour" because it's cheap?  If it's the latter, put your £135 towards something you really like instead.

If it looks fundamentally sound (no tears, or damage to the welt), and if you really like the shoe then I guess it's worth a punt for half the new price.  But if you're just tempted because it's there, my experience suggests it won't get the wear to justify it, and you're better saving the cash up for something that keeps you awake at night.

Here's one more thought: for the same price as a maker's refurbishment, you might be able to get a restoration, resole and custom patina from someone like Alexander Nurulaeff at "Dandy Shoes" Italy.  If you want something completely different but in that lovely classic 73 last shape, then perhaps that's the way to go?  I've been thinking about that for a while; I'm just looking out for the right "base" shoe to experiment with.

Yeah it is a pair that ive wanted for quite a while and the saving allows me to buy a pair of loakes as well so its tempting to do, jusy a matter of how new they can get them looking based on peoples experiences, the uppers itself are in good nick its just the soles mainly nd i want to get the insoles done for the second hand reason.

Didnt you ever see the before / after Church article ???

http://styleessentials.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/churchs-repair-process.html

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Kev - That's impressive - looks like they've even re-closed part of the upper, in the linked article.

Docker: what Loakes are you planning to get? I can see the appeal of getting two for the price of one, especially if one is still a Church's classic.

Docker

Reaction score
Im not 100% decided yet, I want a pair of brown brogue shoes as at the moment I have the loake 200b toe cap, loake 206b semi brogues and if I do decide to go ahead Ill also have the black church sydney monks.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Im not 100% decided yet, I want a pair of brown brogue shoes as at the moment I have the loake 200b toe cap, loake 206b semi brogues and if I do decide to go ahead Ill also have the black church sydney monks.

Just a thought, but if I assume correctly that you're thinking of the 202, maybe push it a bit and try Herring's Loake-made "Richmond". It's an extra £65 (with VAT) over the 202, but unlike that (and the 200 and 206), it's made in Northampton rather than India. More importantly, it looks like a much nicer and more natural burnished leather, rather than the highly-polished binder of the 202. If you want something that goes casual as well as semi-formal, and looks quality, maybe that's the way to go. Barker also make some in that price range that are pretty nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads