• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
With a bit of luck, your feet might resemble Marlene:

dietrich7-sized.jpg

There was a fun article about Marlene in Vanity Fair recently. In addition to being bi, she slept with both JFK and his dad. Impressive. She was quite the little slut. From the article:

When her daughter asked her later in life why she had had so many sexual partners, Marlene responded with a shrug and said, "They asked." She clearly thrived on pleasing her partners and didn't believe in condoms, finding men "so grateful when you tell them they don't have to wear it." Once she discovered diaphragms, she called them "the greatest invention since Pan-Cake makeup." Until then, she had sworn by her secret weapon against pregnancy: douching with ice-cold water and wine vinegar, which she carried with her by the case everywhere she went. (Decades later another of her co-stars and grand amours, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., warmly recalled their "lovely liaison," adding, "You know, sometimes when I am in a restaurant and a waiter walks by with a salad vinaigrette, I'll find myself thinking fond thoughts of Marlene.")

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
There was a fun article about Marlene in Vanity Fair recently. In addition to being bi, she slept with both JFK and his dad. Impressive. She was quite the little slut. From the article:

When her daughter asked her later in life why she had had so many sexual partners, Marlene responded with a shrug and said, “They asked.” She clearly thrived on pleasing her partners and didn’t believe in condoms, finding men “so grateful when you tell them they don’t have to wear it.” Once she discovered diaphragms, she called them “the greatest invention since Pan-Cake makeup.” Until then, she had sworn by her secret weapon against pregnancy: douching with ice-cold water and wine vinegar, which she carried with her by the case everywhere she went. (Decades later another of her co-stars and grand amours, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., warmly recalled their “lovely liaison,” adding, “You know, sometimes when I am in a restaurant and a waiter walks by with a salad vinaigrette, I’ll find myself thinking fond thoughts of Marlene.”)

This must be the "Appreciation central" part of this thread. Interesting tidbits. Were condoms even around back then? I thought they were a relatively new (meaning the last 30 years or so) thing, but maybe it's because I was too young to know what they were back then.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
New Lobb rtw; the Woodcote. Basically Becketts as an austerity brogue.

The seam around the throat of the rear shoe is completely different from that of the shoe in the foreground (the seams on which look very odd).

I'm thoroughly confused.
confused.gif

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cat has sharp eyes...i am waiting to snag an austerity brogue. Any recs?

Regards.

pledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
The seam around the throat of the rear shoe is completely different from that of the shoe in the foreground (the seams on which look very odd).

I'm thoroughly confused.
confused.gif

I actually own the Woodcote as pictured. If I understand you correctly, the difference is owing to the variable stitching on the inside (the rear shoe) and the outside (the front shoe) of the throat. The Becketts are stitched in the same manner, sans the austerity brogue, as Kuro pointed out. Is this what you were asking?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
This must be the "Appreciation central" part of this thread. Interesting tidbits. Were condoms even around back then? I thought they were a relatively new (meaning the last 30 years or so) thing, but maybe it's because I was too young to know what they were back then.

Oh yeah they were around. They were first mass-produced in the 1920s, during the rubber boom that went with the automobile boom, but had been around (animal intestine, linen, hand-dipped rubber) for like centuries before that.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the reason i didn't attempt to join the No Purchase Club for march:
240012180_o.jpg
240015395_o.jpg

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pledge
I actually own the Woodcote as pictured. If I understand you correctly, the difference is owing to the variable stitching on the inside (the rear shoe) and the outside (the front shoe) of the throat. The Becketts are stitched in the same manner, sans the austerity brogue, as Kuro pointed out. Is this what you were asking?

Yes, that's what I was asking. Thanks.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Oh yeah they were around. They were first mass-produced in the 1920s, during the rubber boom that went with the automobile boom, but had been around (animal intestine, linen, hand-dipped rubber) for like centuries before that.

Funny, I don't know why I always thought they were a much later creation.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
Funny, I don't know why I always thought they were a much later creation.

There's a Faulkner novel in which Benjy, the Great American Gelding, finds some condoms in the woods. That's how I learned they were around in the 1920s.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
specs of the shoes i posted:

EG Dover in brown pingrain, E82 last
EG Chelsea in chestnut, E202 last

Saenek

Reaction score
Lurker here
smile.gif
My recent (past month or two) shoe damage, I did a renovation of my shoe collection and threw out a bunch of old junk, starting to build it from scratch pretty much except for sneakers and a few casual shoes. Browsing ebay and finding a couple good deals online. Very simple compared to most of the stuff I see on here, but I'm poor and we all started somewhere
lurker[1].gif

Church's Ryder III in midnight blue suede - very very dark, hope it lightens up a bit with some sun, off ebay for about 120 pounds.

IMG_0329.jpg

Baxter "Henry Baxter" in mahogany, I was curious. Quality is pretty nice, just some small details in the finishing along the edge and where the leather is stitched to the sides could have been better - perhaps I had a bad example - in comparison the R M Williams isn't perfect in these areas either, and it's not like it's noticeable with pants on. Sole is nice, it's channeled, goodyear welted & wears like iron.

IMG_0321.jpg

RM Williams Turnout in black yearling off ebay for about $85. The seller said he wore it about 10x in a carpeted office, which I believe. Very light creasing and the soles were still legible when I got them - one or two wears to work and that is not the case anymore.

IMG_0363.jpg

Martegani Reggio in amber, bought these off Amazon on discount, a touch loose but I can live with it.

IMG_0351.jpg

RL Stantons, off GVH for about $130, haven't worn these yet but I needed a pair of black shoes.

IMG_0379.jpg

Most recent purchase off ebay, two pairs of Grenson Rose collections - the Radley and the Chertsey. Total was about $320 USD, and they arrived in *one* day through Fedex. I have small feet and the 7F on their 96 last fit me very well, can't wait to start wearing these things.

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

I think I want a pair of RMW Craftsmans in whiskey next, and then I'll probably dip into some C&J's. Hoorah for the exchange rates.

Thanks for looking
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads