• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirts....is this a good deal?

gmoney0725

Reaction score
Near where I live, there is an estate sale this weekend that I stopped by during lunch...seems this guy must have worked for RL, because there were at least 100 RL dress shirts in fantastic condition (heck who knows how many were sold before I got there)....the blue labels were listed for $28 and black & purple listed for $38.

There were also about 50 Faconnable shirts for $28 each....

I'm not familiar with the values of used clothing, are these good prices or would it be best to keep looking for different deals?

Thanks much

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That's not too shabby of a deal. The real question is do they come in your size? Are the shirts something you need for your wardrobe or are you just wanting to make purchases because of low price.

As long as they are in mint condition, I would definitely pick up a couple if I were in your shoes.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts
Estate sale means dead man's clothes. just sayin..
Sure, but he was probably only wearing one of them on the day he died.
teacha.gif
(point taken tho'; I guess there is an ick factor for some.)

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$38 for Ralph Lauren Purple Label shirts is a steal if they're in nice shape. Grab them! The price for the Blue Label and Faconnable shirts are steep, though. I see oodles of this stuff in mint condition regularly in thrifts for $5 each and they just sit.

As for them being from a dead guy - I don't get what the big deal is. I'm willing to bet everyone has something in their house that belonged to a dead person, whether that person was a relative or someone you never knew as it was bought from a garage sale/eBay/consignment shop, B/S on here, etc). If he died in a certain outfit they're selling, that's kinda pushing it.

gmoney0725

Reaction score
ok i just got back from looking at the collection again - still a LOT of shirts available...i decided not to get any just yet as the guy running the estate sale said he'll drop prices on Sunday for what hasn't sold...surely there'll be some left by then (who knows).

There were some very nice purple labels which if they drop to $20 or so I will definitely be getting some.

I don't understand the concern with the "dead guy" thing...if you've ever bought/worn a piece of used clothing it came from somebody else...just because the person may or may not have been deceased when you purchased doesn't change anything about the actual item...maybe it's just the concept of it? i don't know.

I need to start looking more at thrift stores...what's the secret to finding the $5 deals or similar like you mentioned? (is there a certain day of the week to go, certain store to look for, etc?)

Thanks for your help.

George

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say good deal all round. $28 for second hand RL Polo a bit much, but if it were new / near new thats still better than the $50 you pay in outlets.

coop86

Reaction score
RLPL for $38 is like 10% retail, not sure how much a standard used RLPL goes for, but it seems like a pretty good deal to me...

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gmoney0725
ok i just got back from looking at the collection again - still a LOT of shirts available...i decided not to get any just yet as the guy running the estate sale said he'll drop prices on Sunday for what hasn't sold...surely there'll be some left by then (who knows). There were some very nice purple labels which if they drop to $20 or so I will definitely be getting some. I don't understand the concern with the "dead guy" thing...if you've ever bought/worn a piece of used clothing it came from somebody else...just because the person may or may not have been deceased when you purchased doesn't change anything about the actual item...maybe it's just the concept of it? i don't know. I need to start looking more at thrift stores...what's the secret to finding the $5 deals or similar like you mentioned? (is there a certain day of the week to go, certain store to look for, etc?) Thanks for your help. George
What size are these shirts. If they are a 16 1/2 or 17, would you be willing to proxy some RLPL dress shirts? I'd definitely be up for some at $20 a pop, especially when I can't get RLPL locally. Also, there's no secret. If you live in a nice area or are within driving distance, you'll find this stuff and better. Check out the thrift store bragging thread. Guys in Texas are finding brand new Loro Piana deerskin jackets for $20 and RLPL, Oxxford and Brioni suits. Chicago and San Fransisco seem to be equally great in terms of good finds. The Salvation Army and Goodwill stores around me price shirts around $3-$6. I see nice RL Blue Label/Polo dress shirts so often I just skip over them. Hit your local thrift up once a week or so and you'll get a feel for the kind of merchandise they get.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ask him how much for all of them. Get him down on the lot as much as possible. They want to sell ****, not haggle on one shirt. If you get a price, and its fair, PM me and Ill sell them.

gmoney0725

Reaction score
Hey guys...thanks for the great advice.....all shirts are 16.5....i'll go on Sunday and see if I can pick up the rest as a lot.

He also has a few purple label suits (priced around $450 but not sure on size), cashmere sweaters -size L (some with tags), and pants (34/36 x 32). Few shoes - 10.5 D.

I don't have too much cash to outlay but if anyone wants me to look for something just pm me and i'll try and find out on Sunday. Hopefully if I buy the lot, it won't be hard to sell them on here.

I'll start hitting up the Goodwill next week.

Thanks

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
16.5 shirts/34 pants/L is a pretty common size I think. I'm sure if you'd be able to resell them if you were to buy a whole bunch.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gmoney0725
Hey guys...thanks for the great advice.....all shirts are 16.5....i'll go on Sunday and see if I can pick up the rest as a lot.

He also has a few purple label suits (priced around $450 but not sure on size), cashmere sweaters -size L (some with tags), and pants (34/36 x 32). Few shoes - 10.5 D.

I don't have too much cash to outlay but if anyone wants me to look for something just pm me and i'll try and find out on Sunday. Hopefully if I buy the lot, it won't be hard to sell them on here.

I'll start hitting up the Goodwill next week.

Thanks

I'm definitely interested in the shirts, especially if they're the Keaton style collar (extreme spread). You'll have no trouble selling RLPL here, especially if the condition is good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads