1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

School lunches

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by impolyt_one, Aug 21, 2011.

1. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I know I grew up eating really unhealthy foods at school (Los Angeles Unified School District for the most part). But what's really shocking when I think about it was how much soda everyone drank--I'm sure I drank more Sprite than water in middle school and high school.

2. willpower

willpower Senior member

That almost made me cry.

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

You got to be fucking kidding me.

4. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

haha lobster? looks more like cray fish. maybe me being from the east coast of canada I'm used to seeing 1.5-2 pound lobsters.

I think I packed a lunch most days which consisted of a sandwich, some gummie treats and a drink. I know at my elementary school, the lunches offered in the cafeteria were roughly $5.

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

$5 for a school lunch is :fu:

6. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

^ that's ridiculous. Lunch in most high schools is basically jail food. :/

7. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

Looks delicious, shows things can be had if a culture values that thing.

Surprise aside...
    What gets me a from the video is the hyper-sensitivity to cleanliness for food to near biohazard cleanly levels. With development children are somewhat more susceptible to disease, but by the same token this developmental window is one of the best times to expose children to many varied food (hit by the meal plan). But, also it's a window for the children's natural immunity to develop past toddler age.

Meat safety is extremely important, I get that just fine. But, it was the costly machine to disinfect the rubber boots which were only used in the kitchen anyway that feels overdone. Then again, maybe there was a major lawsuit in France for some statistical outlier child getting very sick and it being blamed on the public school's meal prep.

8. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

lmao thats where their high taxes go

9. impolyt_one

10. Nil

Nil Senior member

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  11. impolyt_one

that tray looks edible; is it?

12. Nil

Nil Senior member

It looks like some sort of soft material. I imagine you could break off a chunk off a normal plastic tray and fashion a decent shank out of it.

13. impolyt_one

Will pass that on to all my homies from high school who got sent up and got 30 to life

14. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  15. impolyt_one

Do jails in other countries even grant a last meal? Isn't that some sort of white biblical thing? I'll suppose this is an American last meal, and the choices are out of the yellow pages in a rural area;

My favorite food is pho, but even if I were about to die, I don't think I'd want that delivered to the prison as the noodles just wouldn't have that snappy consistency, they'd likely fuck me on the condiment selection, and the broth just wouldn't be hot enough at all.

If I were encarcerated in the SW/Texas, I'd request some sort of Mexican food, and really gorge in order to make a mess once they do the deed.

If it were like, some federal facility in Illinois, I'd go with the local fare there, and get them to go to a local diner and bring me a ham steak breakfast; two eggs sunny side up, hashbrowns, hams teak, a half gallon of freshly squeezed orange juice, a small bottle of tobasco, plus a single cheeseburger meal with fries, a side salad, a small crock of chili, a liter of Coke, lemon sorbet, and some gummi bears.

16. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

^ I think it's mainly done out of respect or something. Typically the authorities try to accommodate every prisoner's last meal but sometimes they end up feeding them what's in the freezer at their location. Dude

You're missing a few things; for example, bacon, pancakes, maple syrup, and coffee (with creamer and splenda of course).

17. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Isn't this what Rambo eats on Wednesdays?

18. ama

ama Senior member

LOL @ Splenda with bacon, eggs, hashbrowns and pancakes.

19. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Although it differs from state to state in many places the "last meal" isn't actually the last meal a prisoner eats before execution for exactly this reason. Often the soon-to-depart is given a date a day or two prior to execution when they can have a meal prepared as they like. This then gives the digestive system time to process everything through and ensure there is no mess at the time of execution. Also, at least with lethal injection, the soon to be departed will sometimes wear a diaper.

20. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

oh yeah...it's the last meal. :embar: