• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running everyday and weight lifting?

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
Shawn_Crawford_RELAYS_vert.jpg
64688-maurice_greene.jpg
some sprinters the calorie expenditures of marathon runners makes it physically impossible to retain excess amounts of muscle mass...however with sprinters, different story

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
noone's talking about marathon running here.

marathon running is completely different, since after about 2 hours, all glycogen stores are depleted so the body physically has to rely on burning muscle/fat and getting some sugar input.

or at least that's what i've heard.

anyway, completely different from going for a half an hour run.

However, i do believe that running everyday would make things difficult, you'd have to be eating a shitload to get enough calories to put on muscle.

running 3x a week would be fine i think though.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
marathon running is completely different, since after about 2 hours, all glycogen stores are depleted so the body physically has to rely on burning muscle/fat and getting some sugar input. or at least that's what i've heard.

In general, but remember that those skinny Kenyans are doing marathons in ~2 hours - those last few minutes aren't what's wiping out all their muscle mass.

It's not running every day that's the problem, it's how you run - how far, how hard you're pushing. A once-a-week 20-miler won't help gain muscle mass. An everyday 15-minute trot covering 2 miles won't hurt.

A person interested in both should train and find his own balance. Picture a Venn diagram - the blue circle is time spent running, the red circle is time spent weight training - the white rectangular area surrounding both is your recovery time (and the older you are, the more white space you'll need). As long as both circles are fairly small and surrounded by lots of white space, you're fine. As the circles get larger, as your workouts get longer or more intense, your body has less and less recovery time. When the two circles start to fill the page, gains will stop because there is not enough recovery time, and recovery is when you make gains, not when you're training. When they overlap, you'll make losses, not gains, and you've got a purple area called the Injury Zone.

Your options are to reduce both circles until you've got more white space, reduce one circle to make more room for the other, or find the Fountain of Youth in hopes of adding more white space.

Everyone's mileage will vary - keeping good logs will help you find your balance. From there, decide which circle you want to be bigger, or if you're happy with them being even. Personally, there's only so much lifting I want to be able to do - once I'm hitting my weight targets, I work on my running. When I can't hit my lifts, I ease up.

shaycorl

Reaction score
Yes if does effect your body and make your immune and over all system to work well and in all good shape. Just have a healthy diet eat what so ever you want to go to gym but the calories and you are all in perfect shape.

hastur

Reaction score
Grayland;3191825 said:
Originally Posted by Rikkar501
Exactly, the first thing anyone does when trying to lose weight is run. They think "gotta burn calories" and jump on the treadmill. If you are serious about gaining muscle mass, consider sprints. Not only is it great lower body exercise, it raises metabolism in a short amount of time without significant CNS fatigue. Just look at the body composition of competitive sprinters: very lean and muscular. Compare that to the body composition of most runners; huge difference.[/QUOTE] True, but are competitive sprinters lean and muscular because they sprint or are they natural sprinters because they are lean and muscular? I'm with you on sprints being excellent exercise and a better way to maintain any muscle mass you have/desire than distance running, but if you're naturally built like a cross country runner, running sprints isn't going to make you look a competitive sprinter.
do you think that sprinters don't lift? they're in the gym doing compound exercises, squats, cleans, snatches, whatever, weekly, to build explosive strength they're lean and muscular because they sprint and lift weights
Originally Posted by Bring The Noise
Shawn_Crawford_RELAYS_vert.jpg
64688-maurice_greene.jpg
some sprinters the calorie expenditures of marathon runners makes it physically impossible to retain excess amounts of muscle mass...however with sprinters, different story

lol @ people who think you can look like this by sprinting, or that this is in any way "natural", ie. not assisted by weight training (even though every internationally competitive sprinter is on gear anyway) you think maurice green got traps like that from running around? you get traps like that from cleaning twice your bodyweight

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
I have yet to find a competitive athlete in any sport that doesn't incorporate running into their training regimen. To say that running is just for idiotic calorie burn for noobs is, well, idiotic.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bBoy JEe
I have yet to find a competitive athlete in any sport that doesn't incorporate running into their training regimen. To say that running is just for idiotic calorie burn for noobs is, well, idiotic.

How about this one?

Sui Generis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrNick
Anyone run everyday and do a lot of weight lifting? I've been told cardio is ok while trying to gain muscle and also by others it's bad for muscle growth. I've started a "split set", where I lift upper body 4 days a week. I've been eating more and gaining muscle but I don't want to gain any fat with it. Also I love to run, nothing feels better than going 5 or 6 miles.

I think everyone would agree that running 5 or 6 miles a day, every day, is a little much. Your body needs some rest in there. Also, if you are running 35-42 miles a week and still gaining muscle, you must be eating a s**tload of calories. If not, you're probably just noticing increased muscle definition as you shed fat from all the running.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with lifting and running together, if it fits your fitness goals. Assuming you have an "average" body type to start with, I would imaging that running 40 miles a week and lifting 4 days would produce a sort of "lean and strong" look, with emphasis on the "lean."

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Competitive sports are so intense these days that in order to become an elite athlete you MUST poses favorable genetic makeup. For example, a high percentage of Type I muscle fibers for a marathoner or a high percentage of Type II-B muscle fibers for a sprinter.

The athletes who are elite in one or the other today would not have made it if they had chosen the other sport, regardless of their level of devotion and hard work.

Rikkar501

Reaction score
hastur;3199679 said:
Originally Posted by Grayland

do you think that sprinters don't lift? they're in the gym doing compound exercises, squats, cleans, snatches, whatever, weekly, to build explosive strength

they're lean and muscular because they sprint and lift weights

lol @ people who think you can look like this by sprinting, or that this is in any way "natural", ie. not assisted by weight training (even though every internationally competitive sprinter is on gear anyway)

you think maurice green got traps like that from running around?

you get traps like that from cleaning twice your bodyweight

....that's the point I was making
confused.gif

musick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur
lol @ people who think you can look like this by sprinting, or that this is in any way "natural", ie. not assisted by weight training (even though every internationally competitive sprinter is on gear anyway)

you think maurice green got traps like that from running around?

you get traps like that from cleaning twice your bodyweight

You are half right.

Weight training is necessary to achieve that physique. A split of WT and cardio can yield those results, which are not that extraordinary - taking nothing away from the guy though.

Those who always claim "gear" are those that lack motivation or are misinformed. Internationally competitive sprinters are HIGHLY tested. I highly doubt the guy pictured is on any type of illegal steroid.

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musick
You are half right. Weight training is necessary to achieve that physique. A split of WT and cardio can yield those results, which are not that extraordinary - taking nothing away from the guy though. Those who always claim "gear" are those that lack motivation or are misinformed. Internationally competitive sprinters are HIGHLY tested. I highly doubt the guy pictured is on any type of illegal steroid.
maurice green is an olympic gold medalist, of course he was on all sorts of ****, who do you think you're kidding? steroids, growth hormone, epo, blood doping, etc etc, they're all on ****, otherwise they wouldn't be winning a medal in the first place, the guys who ARE on gear would be 1-2-3 i'm not knocking it, i still respect him as an athlete, and it doesn't tarnish his record (at least to me it doesn't). to be honest i really hate seeing guys go down for doping when you know the top guys who tested negative are just the ones who got away with it ever wonder why half the time the guys getting caught are only mid-tier athletes? guys who would probably never even medal in the first place?

Aaron Epstein

Reaction score
okay so what if you run a 6 min mile when you wake up first thing in the morning then eat 2000 calories for breakfast
then wait 3 to 4 hours go to gym work at a high intensity go home eat another 2000 calories for lunch
then rest for another 4 hours eat 2000 calories for dinner and of course i mean healthy foods because i do this and i eat around 6000 calories a day
my current record is 6794 calories yesterday i have no extra fat built up from that

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads