Running everyday and weight lifting?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MrNick, Apr 27, 2010.

1. MrNick

MrNick Senior member

Anyone run everyday and do a lot of weight lifting? I've been told cardio is ok while trying to gain muscle and also by others it's bad for muscle growth. I've started a "split set", where I lift upper body 4 days a week. I've been eating more and gaining muscle but I don't want to gain any fat with it. Also I love to run, nothing feels better than going 5 or 6 miles.

2. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

3. toogies80

toogies80 Well-Known Member

I lift and run 6 days a week. You can gain plenty of muscle doing both, just make sure to feed the machine!!!

4. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I thought you needed at least two days of rest in there.

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18940 From Wes, the big show at ironaddicts.com.
    Short version: if you suck at both, sure, do it. If you are doing one or the other seriously, pick one. edit: it sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. 4 days of upper body workouts / week, want to gain all muscle and no fat? get your head outta the clouds, son.. be realistic. Either get used to bulking/cutting if you want to get big, or research ketogenic diets if you're interested in maintaining mass while cutting fat.

6. toogies80

toogies80 Well-Known Member

OP didn't say anything about bodybuilding and running. Just wanted to gain muscle mass and enjoys running. You can do both very easily.

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

No, he wanted to gain all muscle, no fat, run, and lift weights. Point remains, its going to be too much to go all-out on both. Running 5-6 miles a day on top of 4 days of weight training? If buddy wants to bulk up then he should bulk up and worry about cardio when its 6-pack time.

Not to say don't do cardio. I do intervals while water-jogging on my off days. No impact on the joints = happy weightlifter.

8. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

The reason why bodybuilders don't run is the same reason fat guys don't run: because they're too big.

Guys who just lift some weights from time to time can run, why not.

9. rjones416

rjones416 Member

bodybuilding and gaining muscle mass is the exact same thing. you can do cardio and bulk at the same time but you have to eat more calories to make up for the cals being burned from cardio.

10. Kris

Kris Senior member

Olympic weightlifting, and a couple running sessions per week. Good food. Mass gain, fat loss.

11. chyrspchuck

chyrspchuck Active Member

What do you weigh, what do you bench? jk

but in all seriousness I think with your current plan you will probably just get leaner, not sure how much real muscle growth you will have because of the output your expending while running 5-6 miles a day. And you should be resting at least 1 day a week.

12. why

why Senior member

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18940

From Wes, the big show at ironaddicts.com.

Short version: if you suck at both, sure, do it. If you are doing one or the other seriously, pick one.

edit: it sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. 4 days of upper body workouts / week, want to gain all muscle and no fat? get your head outta the clouds, son.. be realistic. Either get used to bulking/cutting if you want to get big, or research ketogenic diets if you're interested in maintaining mass while cutting fat.

This is completely idiotic.

13. cross22

cross22 Senior member

You can not gain significant muscle mass without gaining some fat.

You grow muscles when you are resting, not when you are lifting. The most protein synthesis happens 36-48 hours after work out.

14. epb

epb Senior member

If you're logging 20-25+ miles a week, you'll typically have trouble keeping muscle mass, depending on your age. I was 212# when I began training for my first marathon and 165# when I finished (I'm 6'1"). I wasn't as big or as strong as before, though I was damn strong for a skinny guy.

Once I quit marathoning, I found my balance between the two. I do intervals 3 times a week, which is 10 sets of one minute sprints with walking or slower running intermixed, and I lift weights 2 times a week following the "Starting Strength" program. Occasionally, I'll throw in a 5-mile run. Currently, I'm 200#, benching 225, deadlifting ~300, and can do a sub 6-minute mile or string together 5 or so 8ers.