• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ridiculous looking slim fit suits

Musella

Reaction score
What a good thread!
cpp: one suggestion - you should not wear "slim fit" just because you are lean and slender. I'm probably like you but as tailor I would say that slim things are for womens. You should just get normal to your size. Some slim fitting meanswear are really obsolete and would give the slim men a bad look.

"And to be honest, when you've worn skinnier suits for too long, even a normal "Classic" fit suit will look like a sack on you."

I don't agree with you on this point - there are always compromises and a good "half way" can be found on MTM suits without being too slim and tight fitting, with a good sculptureness of the body (don't like the sack fitting too).
Right, is difficult to find this "measure compromise" on ready made suits.

Badandy

Reaction score

so skinny people or lean people should size up becuase you said so and you have over 4k post on a internet forum while those slim models are making money posing?

I see where this is going hahahaha....sorry man if I dont dress to your liking because I have a lean body and you dont.

C'mon man, this is getting a bit embarrassing for you. We get it, you are slim and you're calling everyone else fat. Are you done yet?

kasakka

Reaction score

That's definitely true. Although to be fair to the OP I think he is talking about this...

But again, not knowing what his idea of "good" is, I have no context from which to make a judgment on his taste. All I know is that I don't like this kind of slim suit.

I don't think that looks too bad. It's definitely "fashion forward" but can look good if you've got the frame for it. The buttoning point doesn't look too high, lapels are not tiny and the jacket length is a tad short but not to the point it looks like a kid's jacket. Just a different aesthetic.

By comparison we have this:
0108051_1_0.jpg

Aside from the terrible haircut on that lanky bugger, the jacket buttoning point looks really high in the pic yet the jacket isn't that fitted around the waist and the front is very closed. Add what looks to be skinny, high notch lapels and short trousers and you've got a ****** look.

StumpjumperE

Reaction score
I don't think that looks too bad. It's definitely "fashion forward" but can look good if you've got the frame for it. The buttoning point doesn't look too high, lapels are not tiny and the jacket length is a tad short but not to the point it looks like a kid's jacket. Just a different aesthetic.

I agree. He's young and thin and can pull it off. It's not a 'business suit,' but for clubbing with his friends, it's fine.

Last edited:

logan858

Reaction score
Nobody wants to see a man in skinny tight pants....even if I pretend I was gay, that would be too gay. Skinny pants are like spandex, no one looks good in them, not even someone with a good body.

That said....it's all about how you tailor and BUYING THE RIGHT SIZE.

I love Thom Browne suits, but would NEVER wear them like he puts those poor models down the runway....have seen a few folks try to wear them like that in public and they look like clowns....

hmm, well i actually am gay, and i wanna see a guy in 'skinny tight pants.' :)

Poloboy

Reaction score
It has been very interesting to see the responses from all of the Style Forum members.

Let me be clear what I was referring to, when I started the "Slim Suit" thread.

To me, this style suit has the following characteristics:

1. Very narrow lapels
2. A substantially shorter jacket
3. A high buttoning point
4.Jacket fitted so tightly their is extreme pulling , and the front quarters open hideously
5. Trousers with an extremely short rise, with highly tapered legs

This style flatters absolutely no one!!!!!

The quicker this ridiculous "FAD" goes away, the better.

As far as overweight people wearing this style suit, that is a whole different conversation.

The classically styled suit that is tailored correctly to the wearer, will never go out of style.

To those individuals who profess to have an interest in mens clothing, and do not understand
this rudimentary fact, need to go back to the basics of mens dressing before they show the
ignorance that has been reflected by some comments.

To the poster who suggested I was overweight, and jealous that I would look bad in this style suit...

I happen to be 6' 3'', weigh 205 lbs, and in excellent physical shape.

My taste level and knowledge in mens clothing would not allow me to dress like a clown in this style suit.

Hopefully this makes some people think twice when they look in the mirror.

Unfortunately, probably not... Sigh

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By comparison we have this:
0108051_1_0.jpg

Aside from the terrible haircut on that lanky bugger, the jacket buttoning point looks really high in the pic yet the jacket isn't that fitted around the waist and the front is very closed. Add what looks to be skinny, high notch lapels and short trousers and you've got a ****** look.

I tend to think that nobody this skinny looks good in any suit, period. It's the polar opposite of a fat guy in a suit.

The Dork

Reaction score
It has been very interesting to see the responses from all of the Style Forum members.

1. Very narrow lapels
4.Jacket fitted so tightly their is extreme pulling , and the front quarters open hideously

As far as overweight people wearing this style suit, that is a whole different conversation.

The classically styled suit that is tailored correctly to the wearer, will never go out of style.

To those individuals who profess to have an interest in mens clothing, and do not understand
this rudimentary fact, need to go back to the basics of mens dressing before they show the

To the poster who suggested I was overweight, and jealous that I would look bad in this style suit...

My taste level and knowledge in mens clothing would not allow me to dress like a clown in this style suit.

I think you defining what you mean by "slim suit" is very helpful to the discussion. It would be equally helpful if you defined "The classically styled suit that is tailored correctly to the wearer, will never go out of style." in a similar way. Such as, what lapel width will never go out of style, what pant rise will never go out of style, etc.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you happen to be a beefy 6 feet tall guy, wearing a slim fit suit just makes you look silly. The point is, wear a suit that fits your body type and not get all caught up with the trends. Slim fit suits are not for everyone.

saxmachine777

Reaction score

0108051_1_0.jpg

Balance looks awful. Likely from a weird, slouched-back "model" posture, which would make the jacket too short in the front, closing the quarters, making the lapels and button stance even higher than they originally were, and pooching out the waistline (which could use some supression as is). Pretty bad when all of that is visible from the front, rather than needing a profile shot.

Rincon

Reaction score
So let's see what some of you are talking about-- Is this a ridiculous looking suit?

esq-01-suits-rules-0412-lg-67198880.jpg
If this is a "slim fit suit" that the OP refers to than he is just a cranky old man.

When I see old guys wearing a sack over each leg it makes me cringe.

Slim fit shows off the male physique and if you have a good physique ain't nothing wrong with that.

imanewbie

Reaction score
Are we really rehashing all this stuff again?
I was waiting for someone to say I agree we could of done a search and brought up thousands of slim hating threads, but OP is 'SPECIAL' as you can see and wants his own thread.

sometimes it makes people feel special to make a thread.

imanewbie

Reaction score

1. Very narrow lapels

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads