Ridiculous looking slim fit suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Poloboy, Sep 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

its very rare it looks on the 'normal' person. I can get away with it vs most men my age can not do it. In fact most men ask me how I get in such shape.

2. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I hate short jackets, it makes you look like wearing a girl's garment, With the rise of 'slim fit', no wonder why there are people who dress neither like a boy or a girl.

Over tightness is another bad trend going on, same with low waist trouser, these are bad female clothing design used in men's territory

p.s. models wearing 'slim fit' suits are often terrible, out of proportion.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

3. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I think you're the one missing his point, though I do kinda get where you're coming from. 'Slim fit' is a bit of a vague term and it can, as you say, just mean a suit that is cut closer to the body which is not necessarily a bad thing in itself. I think the term has been bastardised by a lot of cheap brands though into meaning those horrible fashion-forward suits where the jacket is 3" too short and there's so much pulling at the button your whole front is a massive X, which I think is the sort of thing the OP is talking about. Those are universally terrible, regardless of who is wearing them.

4. StumpjumperE

StumpjumperE Senior member

So let's see what some of you are talking about-- Is this a ridiculous looking suit?

[​IMG]

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

6. StumpjumperE

StumpjumperE Senior member

I'd agree with you caustic man, except the pants do look a little snug in the upper thigh/crotch area to me.

7. Caustic Man

Yes but that has more to do with how it fits this particular guy than the suit itself being ridiculous.

8. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

3inch too short thats not slim...thats TOO small!!!!

Slim fit is not a vague term its a term thats loosley used by SF members only! Slim fit is contoured to the body and most fat/obese people do not look good in it. Heck even you have been criticized by SF members as being too wearing too tight clothing, but in my eyes you look great.

Slim fit is a term used how close the clothing is to the body not based on its 'ACTUAL SIZE' most folks here are confusing slim fit vs large, small, medium etc...

If you wear a large and you put on a medium clothing thats IS NOT SLIM FIT!!!! Thats not fitting PERIOD!

OP is like the rest of folks who come on this board and talk about slim. They come to rant and rave because they tried on something called 'SLIM' and it looked odd on them and they got pissed because the label said 'SLIM'.

9. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

EXACTLY!!!! now imagine a man who is same height roughly 6'1'' and weights 300lbs try this same suit on!!!! It will not look good on him at all in fact he will then search on google and end up at style forum and come upon SF and then rant about SLIM FIT clothing when in actuallity he just bought a suit TOO SMALL on him and has nothing to do with slim fit at all.

10. Deapht

Deapht Well-Known Member

not sure if op read his post

short=/= slim
    high button stance=/= slim

11. Caustic Man

That's definitely true. Although to be fair to the OP I think he is talking about this...

[​IMG]

But again, not knowing what his idea of "good" is, I have no context from which to make a judgment on his taste. All I know is that I don't like this kind of slim suit.

12. kulata

kulata Senior member

Slim fit is a rather broad term but like someone rightly pointed out, he meant fashion forward suits. But if you are built for those suits and they fit then it's all good. Not everyone can wear them and most people should not. The same can be said about the blousy suits recommended for some folks here bu,t keeping it simple. Wear what fits you.

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

Agree they look dreadful, but being 'fashion' will generally only have a short life before something else - hideous or otherwise - takes its place. "Dedicated followers of fashion" as the song went!

14. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

you treat a pair of allen edmonds like they are a priceless sculpture, and you have bespoke clothing?

I'm calling massive BS

15. cppdude

cppdude Member

Depends on the situation. I used to own a very small and slim fitting Hugo red label suit (I grew out of it)...guess what? It pulled chicks like nothing else in my wardrobe. Always got compliments on it.
    These days I've gone more classic on the cuts, but yet fitting. No sack suits for me, ever...if you're athletic or on the skinny side, sack suits will look ridiculous on you. And to be honest, when you've worn skinnier suits for too long, even a normal "Classic" fit suit will look like a sack on you.

The shortness however, I do agree on. Too short jackets look bad, but so does too long jackets.

RLPL(and RLBL too, though a bit more fashion forward) seems like the perfect combination of classic and new. Lower button stance, classic width lapels, lightly padded shoulders, but yet decent waist suppression and trimmer cut everywhere.