• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurants with Dress Codes: Take Back The Night!

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Not really. Style/sartorial standards etc. have dropped in recent times, and most restaurants reflect that as much as any other part of society does. Nothing to think about, just the way it is.

Of course. However, the dress code within a restaurant is implicit in the quality and ambiance of the experience. Even in the absence of a dress code, customers self-select.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
And ironically, we saw a gentleman pull up in an Aston Martin DB9 to the valet, and let's just say that the wait staff was better dressed than him.
This is surprising?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
This is surprising?

TouchÃ
00a9.png
!
smile.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You were planning on wearing a shirt, I hope? I mean, you would be classing up the joint in either case, but curious minds want to know.

ktrp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I'm proud to say I don't own a pair of $400 jeans ... nor $200 ... nor $100. While my suits are bespoken on Savile Row ... my jeans are of the simple variety ... intended to hold-up while laboring.

What is brand whoring? If one has no designer labels in his wardrobe ... does that mean he is free of this charge?

Probably.

In any case, you are correct that brand-whoring wasn't really what I meant to complain about, though there is overlap.

It is that a large number of people my age seem unable to distinguish between formal clothes and expensive clothes. They treat 'dressing up' as 'wearing expensive clothes, regardless of their style'.

I recall a friend of mine laughing at having seen a woman outside a club complaining when she wasn't let in due to a no-denim policy. She was arguing that they were _designer_ jeans, as though that should make a difference. Sadly, most clubs seem to now have a dress code that is 'wear anything you want as long as its expensive'. This is much worse snobbery then an actual dress code.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
It is that a large number of people my age seem unable to distinguish between formal clothes and expensive clothes. They treat 'dressing up' as 'wearing expensive clothes, regardless of their style'.

I recall a friend of mine laughing at having seen a woman outside a club complaining when she wasn't let in due to a no-denim policy. She was arguing that they were _designer_ jeans, as though that should make a difference.

I understand what you are saying.

Originally Posted by ktrp
Sadly, most clubs seem to now have a dress code that is 'wear anything you want as long as its expensive'. This is much worse snobbery then an actual dress code.
I can recall a time when getting into the right club was all about beauty and physical attractiveness. But that was back when most people still dressed well when going out for an evening.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
You were planning on wearing a shirt, I hope? I mean, you would be classing up the joint in either case, but curious minds want to know.
Touche, my friend. You are absolutely right, shirt is needed, or else they won't serve me my 50 piece nuggets. So I opted for my best shirt in my steez closet. Solid teal Geoffrey Beene (it was on sale for $14.99) that is extremely baggy and collar is at least 2 inches bigger than I need. But the sartorialist in me went sockless.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
Touche, my friend. You are absolutely right, shirt is needed, or else they won't serve me my 50 piece nuggets.
I laughed at this until someone told me they actually do sell 50 piece nugget meals. Apparently it's 50 nuggets, 2 cokes and 2 fries for a sawbuck. This leads me to suspect they intend this to be eaten by two people. Anyone eating 25 nuggets at a meal is a clear and present danger to human society.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I laughed at this until someone told me they actually do sell 50 piece nugget meals. Apparently it's 50 nuggets, 2 cokes and 2 fries for a sawbuck. This leads me to suspect they intend this to be eaten by two people. Anyone eating 25 nuggets at a meal is a clear and present danger to human society.
But for the good news ... that person's Anderson & Sheppard wardrobe will be on sale ("It just no longer fits.") in B&S before they know what hit them.

Raralith

Reaction score
I think at a certain point, it isn't always about the customer. Yes, I think we can all agree that customers are the ones paying for the service, but some of you scoff at the fact that you can take your business elsewhere. But the passion of the owner, their vision of what the resturuant stands for and the clientel they seel, the environment - these are the matter of the heart and soul of a place that the customer goes to. If having a dress code chaffs you too much, take your business elsewhere.

Metlin (or I think it was you!):
I completely disagree that setting a dress code is counter intuitive or something along that line you said a few posts ago. Simply put, a dress code sets a standard, and that nothing below that standard will be accepted whether it be neat, jacket, tie, suit, or whatever. Having no dress code and letting the people and environment try to do its work (through natural selection maybe?) is admirable, but realistically, I don't think it works out very well in real life. A dress code establishes a certain criteria and it leaves no ambiguity, it states the matter in black and white and needs to be adhered to.

As for the OP question, not too many places in Los Angeles. A few were named (Edison, Magic Castle but invitation/guest card only), but the dress environment here is just really relaxed. You dress up for the Edison or Magic Castle because it is an experience though as the owner intended it to be. I'm sorry to say that the same cannot be done for other establishments.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I can recall a time when getting into the right club was all about beauty and physical attractiveness. But that was back when most people still dressed well when going out for an evening.

There still are, however you have to be physically attractive, yet stylistically douchey to get into them.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
There still are, however you have to be physically attractive, yet stylistically douchey to get into them.
Having lived in France ... "douchey" just doesn't do it for me. Showery?

Profacio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBugatti
facepalm.gif
Foo, you and your fellow young, brash, iconoclast whippersnappers (and don't tell me for a minute you don't care how others dress!!!) could learn something from this gent:

Very well put. Bravo.

Seconded. Thanks for the post.

Beaune Head

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Having lived in France ... "douchey" just doesn't do it for me. Showery?

The reference is to a "douchebag", an ancient contraceptive device that I doubt anyone now alive has ever seen. However, the term lingers on as a popular insult...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads