• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First job requires dress clothes...first time really dressing up?

spk22

Reaction score
I’m 18 and just got my first job working at a retail place. The dress code is super strict...black shoes/dress pants/shirt tucked in/tie. I’m kind of nervous because ive never really dressed up before except for special occasions, which is a far cry from wearing a tie all day everyday.

How many articles do I need to have on hand? Any suggestion of where to buy them which is fast/cheap/comfortable rather than explicitly fashionable?

Also, to anyone who’s had a job like this, how long did it take to get use to wearing a tie, dress clothes, tucking in your shirt?

tanvirnabi

Reaction score
Maintaining dress code is an official etiquette. Different companies have different official etiquette in their professional settings. You can find your desired dress in the local shop. Before selecting a mall for buying dresses, consider your budget. Remember, dress is significant for your professional development and do accordingly.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m 18 and just got my first job working at a retail place. The dress code is super strict...black shoes/dress pants/shirt tucked in/tie. I’m kind of nervous because ive never really dressed up before except for special occasions, which is a far cry from wearing a tie all day everyday.

How many articles do I need to have on hand? Any suggestion of where to buy them which is fast/cheap/comfortable rather than explicitly fashionable?

Also, to anyone who’s had a job like this, how long did it take to get use to wearing a tie, dress clothes, tucking in your shirt?

In your situation, no need to overthink it. First, clothes can be a way to express yourself, or second, they can be a way to keep your balls and ass out of public sight. Whether you fall into first or second will determine your approach. Sounds like you are really looking for a presentable way to meet the second criteria above. Go to a Banana Republic or J Crew. Both are on the more inexpensive side, and both run frequent sales, especially online. These can save you anywhere from 25% to 40%. Buy a few pairs of their dress pants in neutral colors like charcoal or navy. While you're there, they also sell dress shirts. If you are required to wear a white shirt, that answers the question of what colors you should buy. If there is no strict requirement, buy a couple of white anyway, but also mix in some blue. Don't let your pants hang down below your hips. They don't need to be pulled up to your belly button, but find a happy medium maybe. Tucking in my shirt took about 3 or 4 minutes to get used to.

EDIT: Wait, wtf? This post was over a year ago. Assuming you've gotten used to tucking in that shirt by now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads