• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

hxh_killua

Reaction score
Does any know if these 6" classic rounds are still for sale?
img56981347.jpg

ragdollblu

Reaction score
just finished reading this entire thread. I currently have the chukkas which are lightweight and comfy. Are there any other models that aren't so heavy from members experience with them? (less than 2lb per shoe) I had to give up wearing heavy boots mainly Chippewa's because it would cause foot soreness and lower leg fatigue. 1st post btw.
satisfied.gif

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lizard23
http://images.jcrew.com/erez4/erez?s...if&tmp=prdDtIm

Just picked up a pair of these today at J. Crew with an unbelievable story to go with them.

I was out buying some standard casual wear from J. Crew and saw these Beckman's which I have had my eye on for quite some time but had not pulled the trigger on and had not seen in person. I couldn't bring myself to overpay for Red Wings just because they are a J. Crew exclusive. I asked to try them on so that I would be able to size them appropriately if they ever went on sale on the internet. I was told that the store only had the display model that had been returned to this store (not my size) and that they were only available online and in the Manhattan store on 5th Ave. I live in manhattan so no big deal.

I continued my shopping which eventually totaled around 600 dollars (got lots of nice stuff on sale). At checkout I noticed that they were giving 20% off with a J. Crew card account opening (usually 10% but a special this week). This made me curious about getting the Beckman's for 20% off which they said I could if I ordered them over the phone from the store and used my new J. Crew card.

So i got on the phone from the store and placed the order with the aid of a very helpful salesgirl. When the total came up she put me on the phone and I agreed (320 less 20% plus tax)...all good. When the sales girl heard me repeat this she asked for the phone back and spoke to the J. Crew rep. Apparently since they were a "one-off" item in this store (returned there but not supposed to be available for sale) the display model had been sale priced at 179. She haggled with the woman on the phone for a while and then gave the phone back to me.

Long story short I got $320 dollar boots for $179 less 20% plus tax (total was $156 and change). I have never had so much blind luck with a sale.

great story -- gives the rest of us hope. I know manufacturers & retailers want full value for boots like these, but it's nice to get a deal on a pair once in a while. It might even spur customers to buy more in the future.

sccoopy

Reaction score
I just got a pair of red wing 3140 chukka, now I want to get some boot oil. I saw too types of boot oil:

1. Red Wing 95130 8 oz Boot Oil: Made of Petroleum Bees Wax, And Other Natural Waxes
2. Red Wing 95132 8 oz All Natural Boot Oil: No Silicone or Petroleum Ingredients

which one should I use?

BTW,

is the leather on 3140 oil-tanned leather, or dry-tanner oil-tanned leather?

Thanks

Sinji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hxh_killua
Does any know if these 6" classic rounds are still for sale?
img56981347.jpg

If I remember correctly, these were Japan/Asia only. You can look up at Rakuten maybe.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Is that the same boot as the 8181 and 9111 classic round toe work boots?
How's the sizing on these? Measure a true 10.5, 11 in Nikes, 10 in Chucks, 10 in Clarks DB, 10.5 Katahdins. Would a 10 be good?

hxh_killua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
^^ Is that the same boot as the 8181 and 9111 classic round toe work boots?
How's the sizing on these? Measure a true 10.5, 11 in Nikes, 10 in Chucks, 10 in Clarks DB, 10.5 Katahdins. Would a 10 be good?

They are the same last as the 8181. Last 7, I think.

I saw them on rakuten but so pricey
musicboohoo[1].gif

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hxh_killua
They are the same last as the 8181. Last 7, I think.

I saw them on rakuten but so pricey
musicboohoo[1].gif

The 8181 and 9111 (just diff colors) are on last 8, same as the GTs. Maybe the black pair are different.

Can anyone confirm sizing on the 8181/9111 round toe work boot? If I measure slightly larger than a 10.5 then would a size 10 be right?

dnsnlsn

Reaction score
for anyone who are still pending on whether to buy some redwings or not. GO FOR IT. I just got my 875's last week and they are BEAUtiful and made with great quality - comfort is not 10/10 but im sure that with wear they will be great. * Ive been getting compliments on these shoes, daily.
DSCN1458.jpg
DSCN1448.jpg

Pash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ragdollblu
just finished reading this entire thread. I currently have the chukkas which are lightweight and comfy.

Are there any other models that aren't so heavy from members experience with them? (less than 2lb per shoe) I had to give up wearing heavy boots mainly Chippewa's because it would cause foot soreness and lower leg fatigue.

1st post btw.
satisfied.gif

I just bought some deadstock RW 2126 for $75 on EBay. I got them because I was also looking for a lightweight boot. I'll let you know how they feel when I get them. I understand the 2126 is a lightweight, flexible boot, but that comes with a price: the sole is cemented to the shoe and they cannot be resoled.

2cb50114ba.jpg

Sinji

Reaction score
Today received my Iron Ranger's (8114), very pleased! Any tips on if I have to prep in any way before use? Much obliged
30vnhmq.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member