Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. APK

APK Senior member

I've been back and forth on it. My hands-on experience with higher-end brand tees is limited, but Odyn Vovk is the only one I wouldn't mind paying close to retail on. Someone with a more limited wardrobe, though, is probably better off picking up a few staples for whatever their aesthetic may be. I'm in the midst of a wardrobe overhaul, so I don't own some pieces I deem more critical than tees. I don't own a non-winter pair of boots, so it doesn't make sense for me to drop $50+ on a tee when an important item such as a pair of boots is absent from my closet.

2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

this is pretty much it; I still spend the most $ on footwear and jackets. The only nice tees I have (nice shirts, too) I've bought when they're cheeeeap on sale (forward, gilt, etc). If hanes made a tee that fit me I'd probably never wear anything else.

I think eck is Orlando Bloom (0)

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

because lane, the quality differential between an 'expensive' tee and a hanes tee is very, very small. with tees, more than anything else, you're paying for a brand. j crew v necks on sale for $9 til i die.

4. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

quality differential is small. styling differential is large, unless you're wearing plain t-shirts which you evidently are

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

maybe for something like LUC, but for something like rick or odyn vovyk? not really

6. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I've had some W&H tees for like 4-5 years that are still in great shape. Nothing from Hanes, AA, or H&M has lasted nearly as long.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

if we took the tags off, could you pick out W+H tees from J Crew, Hanes or Banana Republic?

8. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Who cares wether you can tell them apart when they're all brand new? The point is once you start wearing them, the W&Hs will last and the stuff from H&M, AA, and Hanes won't. I don't have any experience with BR or J Crew so I can't comment on their durability.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

I have Hanes tshirts that are 7 years old. it probably has more to do with your washer/dryer than the clothes...

10. puddin

puddin Senior member

it's pretty easy to pick out a nice fabric against a standard one. anything that's pima cotton still stand out compared to hanes, it's not really a contest. but arguing the relative value of designer clothes is so played...

11. thatguymj

thatguymj Senior member

Teger,

As someone who owns Jcrew t-shirts as well as more fashion brand ones, you can't really think that, can you? The single only jcrew t-shirts I ever think look decent are the slim fit jaspe v-necks. Most of the others fit me fine in the shoulders/length but aren't tapered enough thru the waist and look like shit. Basically what I am saying is that cut sucks in most 'mall brand' t-shirts, imo.

12. dmash

dmash Senior member

I have Express V necks that I've worn to the gym for like 2 years now that are still doing just fine. They were like 3 for $36 too.

13. Teger

Teger Senior member

well yea, that's the argument - cut and fit. fwiw the standard j crew vnecks fit me well, and i hate the jaspe ones.

14. Desi

Desi Senior member

I could wear the Converse One Star brand from target if we are just trying to save money. Those have decent burnout washes and feel nice enough for me. Still like my corpus over all though.

15. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

FWIW my experience has been the opposite. But who cares? Buy what looks good and makes your cock hang to the knee. Call it a day.