• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you looked into things like a torn labrum or hip impingement?

The thought of something along those lines did cross my mind (wasn't aware of the terminology however). I didn't think it was anything serious since I only feel it when I squat. Considering taking time off from squats and deads and see if this thing heals up (if anything is even busted up).

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you looked into things like a torn labrum or hip impingement?

This. Do you get any clunking in your ROM?

Bacon
, it sounds like you're having a lot of the problems that I have.
Where exactly is the pain? Is the pain chronic? Will it go away for a while and return a few months later? I was informally diagnosed with a hip impingement by a guy getting his dpt that goes to my gym. you may be caving your knees in on squats. Give it a week's rest, and go back to squatting, this time making sure to stick your knees out wide. If you have a bit of trouble with this, keep the weight light and put a light resistance band around your knees.

I had problems the week before thanksgiving, took 5 days off, and have been training since without lingering pain. I've just fixed my catch on snatches and cleans, and pointed my toes out more on squats. This injury returns every few months, so i just rest and it goes away.

Try working on some glute medius, and other abduction exercises, as this can help with opening up your hips more when you squat.

Ice and advil will help as well.

In other news, pr'ed on the snatch by 2kg and clean and jerk by 3kg today. Both were easy. I have a competition this weekend, so more pr's to come.

Last edited:

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This. Do you get any clunking in your ROM?

Bacon
, it sounds like you're having a lot of the problems that I have...

No clunks, clicks, or pops coming from the hip. I get plenty in my shoulders but they never hurt or limit my ROM.

So you brought out the ugly and embarrassing truth... I've been lifting for almost 2yrs but I just did my first legit barbell squat last September (deadlift too). I've been doing marsupialed misguided splits up until then. So this pain is relatively recent and new. I'm doing Strongdicks 5x5 and the last two weeks were with painful squats... to the point where I knew I couldn't continue with the program (which saddens me greatly because my quads and back-side have been blowing up).

I'd say the pain is in the IT band near my knee (getting better with foam rolling), somewhere in the front where the hip flexor is (this is the worst... however static kneeling hip flexor stretches don't seem to aggravate it much), and somewhere in the back near the actual joint (not quite the glute... not sure if it's the abductor either). Seriously though, doesn't hurt at all unless I squat (body weight, with a loaded bar, whatever) so I haven't been taking any meds or doing hot/cold. As for the knees, I'm actually pretty good about forcing them out since I've been making a conscious effort since Day 1.

Thanks for the input, guys. This along with this giant ground beef patty and big ass sweet potato I'm eating are cheering me up a bit.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for dinner tonight, to add to the photos ^^:

had two spoon of mixed brown rice and a tangerine following the meal

gym later tonight...

Last edited:

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No clunks, clicks, or pops coming from the hip. I get plenty in my shoulders but they never hurt or limit my ROM.
So you brought out the ugly and embarrassing truth... I've been lifting for almost 2yrs but I just did my first legit barbell squat last September (deadlift too). I've been doing marsupialed misguided splits up until then. So this pain is relatively recent and new. I'm doing Strongdicks 5x5 and the last two weeks were with painful squats... to the point where I knew I couldn't continue with the program (which saddens me greatly because my quads and back-side have been blowing up).
I'd say the pain is in the IT band near my knee (getting better with foam rolling), somewhere in the front where the hip flexor is (this is the worst... however static kneeling hip flexor stretches don't seem to aggravate it much), and somewhere in the back near the actual joint (not quite the glute... not sure if it's the abductor either). Seriously though, doesn't hurt at all unless I squat (body weight, with a loaded bar, whatever) so I haven't been taking any meds or doing hot/cold. As for the knees, I'm actually pretty good about forcing them out since I've been making a conscious effort since Day 1.
Thanks for the input, guys. This along with this giant ground beef patty and big ass sweet potato I'm eating are cheering me up a bit.

this sounds like what I had, but it may just be hip flexor tendinitis because you don't have any clunking. I'm just going to say the rest is aches and pains that you'll have when doing new exercises.

Best course of action is to just rest and ice. Try again in a week. In the mean time just work on mobility. Make sure you stretch after your workouts.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Best course of action is to just rest and ice. Try again in a week. In the mean time just work on mobility. Make sure you stretch after your workouts.

Sounds reasonable enough. I'll hold off on Skyrim for now. haha but seriously, thanks.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

for dinner tonight, to add to the photos ^^:

had two spoon of mixed brown rice and a tangerine following the meal
gym later tonight...

I like the "gettoasty" nutrition plan. Rock that.

I switched from attending my local Gold's to my university gym. Overnight, I went from decently strong to the biggest lifter in the gym.:slayer:

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you do take time off Bacon, definitely keep stretching. I have the same problem, heavy weights and my hip flexors ache with a very dull, lingering pain. I took a couple weeks off, no stretching, and it did not help.

Lately I've been cutting back on the volume (same warmups, 1 working, then 2 lighter working sets) but stretching a lot more. Hips feel much better.

That said, I took xray and MRIs and the sports doc recommends getting surgery at some point, so I have some definite physical problems.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that happens occasionally as all that food is not cheap.

i have to admit, the food today (or something??!!) gave me extra boost in my workout. squat 135 pretty well tonight, good explosiveness. i think i can move onto 155lb next week.

i felt so energized today and nothing really changed in my diet/sleeping pattern

weird

having some oatmeal mixed with brown sugar and bananas right now post workout //finished oatmeal so fast, tasted so bomb...i like mine with a bit more watered down

Last edited:

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That said, I took xray and MRIs and the sports doc recommends getting surgery at some point, so I have some definite physical problems.

Ouch, man. I hope whatever you decide to do works out for you. I'll definitely stay on top of the mobility and stretching during the downtime.

dune

Reaction score
I have been "suffering" from a painful lower back and shoulders for years now. I've visited an osteopath, a chiropractor, a couple of kinesitherapists - nothing seems to help, at least not in the long term. A friend recommended yoga, is that something that might help?

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You didn't offer your exercise history, but a huge percentile of people who experience lower back pain while standing / sitting / sleeping would benefit tremendously from a stronger core.

dune

Reaction score
Could be, but I'd be surprised it it turns out to be a lack of muscles - I'm generally in good shape, and I've had one kinesitherapist complain that I was "hard work" because of my muscles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads