• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Strangely, I deadlift way more than I thought I'd be able to. My weakest link is definitely bench press. My chest has always been underdeveloped.

I know a few guys like that. You got them long monkey arms too?

There's a kid on IA, I think he bench max is <200 or just around there but pulled a touch over 500 at his last meet. I think he's <165 too. Only a teenager to boot.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty much the same as me. I'm not even gonna post what I bench press because its pretty embarrassing, but I can do 315lb for reps so my 1rm deadlift is probably like 330lb. Marfans disorder gave me freakishly long limbs and curved in chest so my biomechanics are pretty good for deadlift, but absolutely horrible for bench press. Don't know how that effects squat though, seems to be all right.

I think a lot of beginners deadifts are higher then there other lifts is that you can pull pretty big weight on a deadlift with pretty loose form where as if your squat and bench form are **** your not gonna move weight. Correct deadlift form is more about protecting your lower back from injury where as with the squat and bench its about maximising your lift. At least this was my experience when I started out. At like 150lb I pulled 130kg on a trap bar after a few weeks of training by just bending over and pulling entirely with my back and just forcing the weight up. Would probably have messed my back up really badly if I didn't stop deadlifting like that and relearn with very light weights.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

For sure. PM me your specific dates and we'll get some good work in.

2 complete strangers, 1 traveling to a foreign town, to get together to lift weights. No, that's not gay at all.....

Last edited:

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thats pretty much the same as me. I'm not even gonna post what I bench press because its pretty embarrassing, but I can do 315lb for reps so my 1rm deadlift is probably like 330lb. Marfans disorder gave me freakishly long limbs and curved in chest so my biomechanics are pretty good for deadlift, but absolutely horrible for bench press. Don't know how that effects squat though, seems to be all right.

I do get jealous though when I see guy's lockout their deadlifts and the bar is right above their knees. Or when I see guy's with t-rex arms and a barrel chest benching and they've got to move the bar a minimal distance.

But we've all got to work with what we got, right? :)

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw a guy with a bodybuilding.com shirt doing curls in the squat rack today. Lol.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a great bench press but an awful press? All my other lifts are pretty proportional, bench about 1.25x bw, squat, just over 1.5x bw, deadlift 2x bw, but my press is something stupid like .7x bw.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually I don't think so, I'm just a really skinny guy.

I know a few guys like that. You got them long monkey arms too?

There's a kid on IA, I think he bench max is <200 or just around there but pulled a touch over 500 at his last meet. I think he's <165 too. Only a teenager to boot.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been paying attention to this: http://www.t-nation.com/article-comments/13064_pullups_in_5_months

Click "Live Spill" to read the comments.

Its abnormally good, thats 1.5 body weight raw and without any training or any physical activity at all. According to exrx its an advanced level squat and I'd have to squat 370lb to be on that level.

Well. If she is shorter than the average female at her weight, then things skew in squat's favor. Plus it could be her strong lift. Plus exrx is generally said to be an under estimate and it could be additionally under estimated for women. Not that I am knocking your girl's lift, but each factor could give her a 5% boost. Who knows.

Anyone have a great bench press but an awful press? All my other lifts are pretty proportional, bench about 1.25x bw, squat, just over 1.5x bw, deadlift 2x bw, but my press is something stupid like .7x bw.

I cannot get my OP to go up.

1.14bw BP
1.28bw SQ
2.00bw DL
0.76bw OP

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well. If she is shorter than the average female at her weight, then things skew in squat's favor. Plus it could be her strong lift. Plus exrx is generally said to be an under estimate and it could be additionally under estimated for women. Not that I am knocking your girl's lift, but each factor could give her a 5% boost. Who knows.

Lol I wish it was my girlfriend who came to the gym with me. its my sister who does, my girlfriend smokes 20-30 cigarettes a day, drinks a couple bottles of wine a day and loves coke and mandy, doesn't exercise or do anything which might help her health really. Probably the least healthy girl I know.

I wouldn't say exrx is a underestimate for men, but yeah it probably is for women a 1.5 body weight squat can't be elite level, when its approximately triple body weight for men. Either way she's talked to the manager of my gym about competing and once she trains for a couple months and makes sure her form is legal in competition she might compete. She is pretty short, like 5'2" maybe 5'3". Doesn't look like those girls you see power lifting, she's really skinny and frail looking.

Last edited:

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been posted, but as a reminder of how marsupialed things are some times. Trouble with embed.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

She is pretty short, like 5'2" maybe 5'3". Doesn't look like those girls you see power lifting, she's really skinny and frail looking.

Have you seen this lifter?

105lb weight class. At that weight most women look skinny. But the girl in that link lifts enough to impress most guys.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Been posted, but as a reminder of how marsupialed things are some times. Trouble with embed.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Is it just me or was that god awful form? Her but went down and then her back came down to practically horizontal.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Does anybody else get different levels of soreness from different body parts, no matter the workout? My legs are always sore after difficult workouts but my upper body barely ever gets that way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads