Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

:slayer:

doms in the back makes you feel super ripped

2. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Recorded myself doing bent rows today with 40kg. I never managed to get much higher on this exercise, although hopefully i will now having had a lay off. This was my 3rd set of 5. It seems hard to get any higher without jerking upwards with my torso to move the weight....if that makes sense.

Tried to film my deadlifts but it went wrong on every set! First some douche knocked the camera over, then it crashed and deleted the next set so i gave up.

3. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Since Irene screwed up my plans to go for a bike ride today, I figured some high volume shit would be a good sub.... so I squatted 225lb for 120 reps, and then 300lb deadlift, handstand pushups, pullups, each for 60 reps, segmented/superset as necessary to do it quickly. I thought it would take me a long time, but I actually finished in about an hour.

Along those lines, I love doing plyometric type exercises after heavy lifts of the same muscle group. For me, at least, it helps reduce soreness and stiffness that might develop later. So maybe box jumps after squats, clapping pushups after bench, push jerks after shoulder press, hang snatch after deadlift.... anything lighter in weight, but faster and more explosive.

4. APK

APK Senior member

I measured my thighs for the first time in probably close to a year. Close to 26" up from 24"-ish. No wonder nearly all of my old pants are so god damn tight around there.

I still want to add some more upper body mass, but I have no interest in adding on additional mass to the upper legs. Mass has always come too easily there and while I'm nowhere near bodybuilder status there, I feel like I've hit my desired leg aesthetic.

5. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

Damn.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

wait 120 reps?

did i read that wrong.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

8. theom-

theom- Senior member

You can probably squat over 500lbs if you actually can do 225x6x20 or 225x12x10. Soo I'd really like a video of that.

Also, 60 reps of 300 lb deadlift? Are we talking about the same day here?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  9. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

That's like saying guys who can do high rep pushups should be able to bench press a car. There is a point volume doesn't scale.

I can't tell what he means by 6x20. 6 sets of 20 rep breathing squats? Or 20 sets of 6?

Breathing squats are done in 20 rep sets Usually you start off with your 10 or maybe 12RM. You do 10 then pause for a breath. Do a rep. Pause. So on until you get to 20. Doing six sets like this would be VERY hard on the CNS.

10. theom-

theom- Senior member

Not at all really, I extrapolated to a bit over twice the weight he said did. Even doing that many squats at 40% or your maximum would be very very difficult. I understand the whole type IIa vs type IIb muscle fibers and endurance vs strength, but don't get it into your head that by only training one you are deficient in the other. It really is all about percentages anyways.

He never said how many sets he did. I'm assuming it was in the 10-20 rep range because any less and you would have to do a ridiculous amount of sets.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Wait, what?

12. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

The 1RM max formulas break down after a point. For some people they breakdown far earlier then others. You can plug in your 10rm into the formula and get a calculated 1RM. If you're lucky it'll be close to your real 1RM . Reality is the further you get from doing singles the less accurate the formulas are.

I'm not saying the formulas are worthless just you can't plug in high number reps and expect much from them.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  13. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Well what did he do? Like I said doing 20 rep breathing squats with your 10rep weight isn't unheard of. It takes training. It will wear you out. But if you do them in breathing type instead of normal sets it's possible. Now six sets of breathing squats would kill me .

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Still, damn. That's impressive!

15. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

First time doing the bench the right way ie taking the bar all the way down to my chest. Didnt have a spotter so I figured I would start light. Did 10 reps of 100, then 8 reps of 115 then 6 reps of 130. Not exactly impressive, in fact, a little embarrassing but have to start somewhere. I wonder how quickly I can build up weight......