Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

CARBS MAKE YOU FAT

(10)

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Sounds reasonable. I commend you if you can down oatmeal day in and day out. It's the one thing I gag at because I've had bad experiences with it while starting out trying to gain weight.

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

Last time I brought my sister to the gym I had her squat 35kg because she weighs like 45kg and I assumed she was weak as fuck. Since I got my belt today and I've been planning to switch over to back squat so I tested out my 1rm. Got up to 90kg, which I think is pretty good since I didn't warm up and this was after a full military press workout so I was pretty tired. My sister decides she wants to work up to her 1rm, first she does 40 pretty easy so i let her do 50kg then she wanted to do 60kg because the plates are big, which she hit for 5 reps then she did 65 for 3 and then 70 for a pretty easy single. Had her deadlift after this. She hit 70kg really easy, but her upper body is pretty weak so she only hit 30kg on her bench press. How the fuck is an untrained 100lb chinese girl squatting 70kg on whats basically her first try. Shes nearly at elite levels for the squat and deadlift and she probably will be in a week or 2 and shes completely untrained.

Been having a really hard time advancing with the press. I did push presses today instead of military press, but they absolutely killed my wrists. I don't really want to use wraps so I suppose I could just switch back to press. Don't really know how to break through this plateau.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

4. sonick

sonick Senior member

Stop mixing units!

For reals, that is impressive; she has a stronger squat than me already with 1.5x bw :( :embar:

5. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

How deep did she squat? If she did proper depth squats that's :slayer:

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

Yeah, got her to go parallel. She kept her shoulders tight throughout the lift and her chest up. Basically perfect form without even learning it. Guess she's just a natural squatting. I'm 80ish pounds more then her and squatting with a belt and chalk after training for a year or so and she's only doing 20kg less then me. The hardest part of the lift for her in unracking the bar because she's too short for the lowest setting on the rack.

7. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Yea, if the depth is good, props to her :slayer:

Personally, I started doing dumbbells presses seated for a month or two instead of the standard m-press standing when I had trouble breaking a 1rep max 135 lbs plateau. I tested my max few weeks ago and did 2 sets of 5 reps of 135 lbs. Worked for me!

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

I do dumbbells seated as an accessory lift right after so I might just switch it to my main lift and drop the reps and increase the weight. I press from the front squat position as well, which is wrists bent back towards my face so that could be effecting it too.

9. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

You shouldn't routinely use a belt. Normally let your muscles do their job . Only use the belt the few times you try a 1 rm test. Or I guess if you compete. But normal workouts no belt.

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/weightbelt.html

Try that but google should find other things for people that want more info.

10. virus646

virus646 Senior member

I must say that I was on SPBR when doing dumbbells though. Always did standing military presses when on 5/3/1. I suggest you should just keep doing them and maybe change your accessory if they stalled too. They're not that easy to progress on, that's why a BW press is always something to be proud of.

11. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Many of those are carbs.

Better to think in terms of percentage.

For me low carb is less then 50% of my calories from carbs but my body gets along really well with carbs.

Other people are very low almost eating zero carbs.

12. CodPiece

CodPiece Senior member

That makes perfect sense, thanks.

13. APK

APK Senior member

My body doesn't do too well with most starchy carbs, which was the main reason for me dropping those sources. I love bread, pizza, pasta, and the like, but it's just not worth the bloat most of the time. I have been incorporating more carbs into my diet (mostly fruits), especially on lifting days, and I feel a lot better physically.

Charly, I'm going to be in Philly for a couple of days in a few weeks. We should get in a lift session.

14. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

I eat over 400g of carbs every day

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

15. fuji

fuji Senior member

I don't see why I shouldn't use one. It doesn't stop my errectors from working and it increases inter abdominal pressure so I can move more weight and it gives me something to push against so I can actively use my abs.

I'm still on the low carb hype, I don't eat no carbs, I still get in probably like 100 a day, but I've been getting better gains via eating several pounds of meat a day. I did zero carbs for about a week and lost a bunch of weight and basically all my water weight, but I felt really weak and eating made me feel sick.