• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

stinger70

Reaction score
What does everyone think regarding protein sources. I use myfitnesspal to track my calories/macros and usually get between 190-220g protein from ALL sources, a fair bit of that will be bread, pasta, oats etc. Do i need to eat more meat?

LM16

Reaction score
Do powerlifting meets usually prohibit use of stimulants?
Not in the least. Many federations don't test for ANYTHING. I've come into some meets and seen guys popping dbol in the bathroom like it's candy.

LM16

Reaction score
What does everyone think regarding protein sources. I use myfitnesspal to track my calories/macros and usually get between 190-220g protein from ALL sources, a fair bit of that will be bread, pasta, oats etc. Do i need to eat more meat?
I've found that the best composition I've maintained is when I stick to more animal products (mainly meat) for protein sources. I've even seen a difference between having a lot more red meat vs white meat such as chicken (red meat had better results).

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I disagree a bit with trying to hit 2nd attempts 2 weeks out.  It's a matter of confidence.  What happens if you hit a good number 2 weeks out then you go to the meet, and for a variety of reasons (nerves, still not fully recovered, just bad day) you try that weight and it feels super heavy and not nearly as fast as it was in the gym.  Maybe, you miss it.  This starts to really eat away at your confidence for setting up a big 3rd attempt.  Just my 2 cents.

There are two schools of working up to a meet (and the many in between). Some guys like taking it easy and some guys train balls out. I guess I'm towards the latter. I feel comfortable with taking 2nd attempts because confidence isn't an issue or me at a meet. If I get to a meet and I miss a lift, it's because of something physical like I didn't have enough rest, I'm worn out, or due to a nagging injury. It's never mental. It's what works for me and something I've gathered from my coach and other accomplished powerlifters. It might not be for everyone. But like I said, it has worked for me.

And to be quite frank, I would have to say if a lifter can't put each missed attempt behind him and out of his mind, powerlifting isn't really the sport for him/her. Self doubt shouldn't be anywhere inside your head and messing with your confidence before any attempt.

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also use myfitnesspal and usually got 200g protein total per day.
I've asked the same question here and got the answer that I should try to get those 200g from "good protein sources" (you know what I mean).
FWIW, the instructor on Iron Addicts also said that you should only count those protein rich sources.

Changed it now so I eat a lot more meat and have put on a bit more mass. Is pretty touch sometimes to get it all down, though.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my go to guy says whey for workout nutrition and casein before bed, otherwise stick to real food

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
roasted a 3 lb roast (top round). Sliced it thin and threw it in the fridge.

now coming up with alternate ways to eat it. It's pretty gross on its own tbh

Last edited:

LM16

Reaction score
There are two schools of working up to a meet (and the many in between). Some guys like taking it easy and some guys train balls out. I guess I'm towards the latter. I feel comfortable with taking 2nd attempts because confidence isn't an issue or me at a meet. If I get to a meet and I miss a lift, it's because of something physical like I didn't have enough rest, I'm worn out, or due to a nagging injury. It's never mental. It's what works for me and something I've gathered from my coach and other accomplished powerlifters. It might not be for everyone. But like I said, it has worked for me.
And to be quite frank, I would have to say if a lifter can't put each missed attempt behind him and out of his mind, powerlifting isn't really the sport for him/her. Self doubt shouldn't be anywhere inside your head and messing with your confidence before any attempt.
I absolutely agree with the later part. And you're right in that there are many ways to approach meet prep - I'm simply thinking back to my first meet - and even as someone who had been competitive in other sports at the international level and university level I don't think I was more nervous than when I stepped up for my first squat. Since it's his first meet I would suggest going the other route of playing conservative and not getting a chance for nerves to mess with him. I think you can say that self-doubt is destructive in any sport but simply practicing the competition phase of the sport will help with nerves and confidence and not everyone is going to be able to simply take the mental aspect out of it right at first. Personally, I believe I can hit any weight you put on the bar - obviously this doesn't always happen but that's why I don't even bother choosing my attempts at the meet I just tell my teammates to go and put in a request for something heavier than I did before.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any videos or guys I should be looking at for sumo deadlift techniques. I've seen a few including Ed coan but am still unsure of how high to put my hips and whether or not my shoulders should be perfectly on top of the bar or slightly forward. Taped myself today and it seems like my shoulders are a little too far forward putting a strain on my lower back. I can't seem to fix it tho.

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I absolutely agree with the later part.  And you're right in that there are many ways to approach meet prep - I'm simply thinking back to my first meet - and even as someone who had been competitive in other sports at the international level and university level I don't think I was more nervous than when I stepped up for my first squat.  Since it's his first meet I would suggest going the other route of playing conservative and not getting a chance for nerves to mess with him.  I think you can say that self-doubt is destructive in any sport but simply practicing the competition phase of the sport will help with nerves and confidence and not everyone is going to be able to simply take the mental aspect out of it right at first.  Personally, I believe I can hit any weight you put on the bar - obviously this doesn't always happen but that's why I don't even bother choosing my attempts at the meet I just tell my teammates to go and put in a request for something heavier than I did before.

For me, I feel much more confident going into a meet knowing that I already hit my second attempts two weeks prior whilst beat up. But that's me.

It sounds like you like to have you numbers picked like Ed haha. I would do that if I had training partners :\

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Any videos or guys I should be looking at for sumo deadlift techniques. I've seen a few including Ed coan but am still unsure of how high to put my hips and whether or not my shoulders should be perfectly on top of the bar or slightly forward. Taped myself today and it seems like my shoulders are a little too far forward putting a strain on my lower back. I can't seem to fix it tho.

It really depends on your sumo style and your body proportions.

Sumo styles vary from person to person. For example, Ed Coan uses a ton of back in his sumo deadlift. Others use a lot more legs.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

roasted a 3 lb roast (top round). Sliced it thin and threw it in the fridge.
now coming up with alternate ways to eat it. It's pretty gross on its own tbh

Is a top round an eye round? I eat it cold with olive oil, salt, pepper and mustard. Is delicious.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It really depends on your sumo style and your body proportions.

Sumo styles vary from person to person. For example, Ed Coan uses a ton of back in his sumo deadlift. Others use a lot more legs.

Is the shoulder position also variable? Conventional should have the shoulder right above the bar right? For some reason shoulder slightly over feels a little more comfortable with sumo ad I've noticed some people do this in videos. Just not sure if it's the right thing to do

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads