Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. gort

gort Senior member

God I loved that game, and FF6. Memories of elementary school!

2. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

If it has "Tesco Value" written on the box it probably won't be very good. Also if it says "small" they probably won't be very big. I prefer eggs from Waitrose, the box of 9s are fairly cheap (about 20p each) and are medium sized, but enough yolk in it.

Find it bizaare that they import eggs of all things though.

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

My mum is a fan of the tesco value. 50p for like 500g of yoghurt with good macros. I want to make a willy wonka meme with "oh you like waitrose? please tell me about how upper middle class you are". 20p is loads of money for an egg, thats like 1.20 for an omlet +35p for some feta prob more if you buy waitrose feta, fuuuark. Trying to plan food for uni. I have 100 quid a week to spend. I figure I can eat a pot of yoghurt for breakfast, and eat omlets with feta and chicken breasts all the time. Gonna bring like 10kg of whey with me so everyone can realise im a dickhead as soon as they go into the kitchen. Put that I'm very clean on my preference form for maximum trolling.

Gort, am enjoying FF4 so far. Cecil just became a paladin, edward, tellah are pussies though, more so tellah, also yang. Looked up the characters on the ff wiki

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Cecil_Harvey

5'10" 128lb, does he even lift?

Trying to get my cousin to lift. He's 14 and gets bullied by 12 year olds and barely eats any meat because his mum thinks vegetables are like godly, IIFYM bish. He wants to improve his upper body strength so he lies on a surf board and paddles wtf. I think he prob has low self confidence because his mum coddles him, I think squatting will improve his self confidence. He's like 5'10" already so even is lifting does somehow stunt his growth it doens't really matter because he's out of manlet territory in most people opinions.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

4. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Just be really careful. Even if he's already 5'10, you can't train a 14 year old the same way you would an adult.

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

Considering starting him on Smolov, do you think that would be too intense?

Sadly I can't train him, he lives in Saint Thomas and his mum hates me. Sent my sister money on her birthday and not me, foreveralone.jpg. All I can do is bitch at him on skype and try convince him that if he starts exercising now it'll be easier for him to fuck island girls when he's 16. That should be good motivation for a 14 year old.

6. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

I'm sure LM16 can weigh in on this, as he trains teenagers. For me, the key isn't reducing the intensity, but making sure he really focuses on accuracy. I think for a 14 year old who hasn't fully developed, the most important thing is learning to move well. That might mean a few months of really dialing in movements before adding loads.

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

'tis why I did not quote thy poast

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

done lifting at 7:30am = :slayer:

8 hours of daily liss cardio shredding away body mass = :(

9. knucks

knucks Senior member

How are the shoes feeling brother?

10. LM16

LM16 Senior member

This is pretty much a large focus for the middle school program I oversee. Once they hit high school, in particular their sophomore through senior years I am much more focused and intense with their training but middle school and elementary for those who are overseeing early childhood development is about developing as many motor patterns as possible. Motor patterns start to solidify by the age of 12 and past that age (approximately) it becomes significantly harder to learn new motor patterns. This is why multi-sport from a young age tend to be the better athletes. America places significantly too much emphasis on sport specific work at a young age when really they need to be developing a broad range of skills.

For the 12-14 age group or so depending on their level of puberty go ahead and get them started on bodyweight movements, teach them to jump (if you don't know how to jump learn - most people adults included suck at jumping and landing).

Lifting doesn't stunt growth this has been disproved so many times it's ridiculous.

11. Dapp

Dapp Senior member

I don't see why you should worry about intensity just because he's 14. You can ratchet intensity up as high as you want as long as proper form is used and the weights are within reason - like dowen said. This BS belief that lifting when you're "young" stunts growth needs to die.

I'm not sure why you'd start with Smolov though. Why not just start him on Starting Strength? He'll throw on serious mass and get a whole lot stronger. I'm on it and know others on it and as long as he's eating at surplus he'll put on size no problem.

12. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

So there's this PT dude at my gym who used to be very friendly towards me. Would always say hi, give head nods, whatever. Nowadays the dude gives me the stink eye and won't say hi back. Prettttyyyy sure it's because he thinks I'm on gear lulz.

Oh well, he's a shit PT anyways. brb benching off of a swedish ball and doing 1-legged quarter squats on a Smith machine lol.

13. LM16

LM16 Senior member

The intensity should be regulated because he is a beginner. Just like I wouldn't throw a beginner on Smolov or anything close to my training a beginner simply doesn't have the work capacity or the ability to recover from (even with newb gains) some of the higher intensity protocols. Not only is this a time to focus on reaping the benefits of new stimulus on the body and having supramaximal gains, it is paramount that proper motor pathways be engrained so as to minimize risk of injury due to idiocy at a young age. More problems occur when you're an adult because of simply never learning how to do things right and then doing them wrong for years on end. So yes, intensity should be scaled back some most importantly for the sake of spending more time on motor control.

14. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

There was a women in a full sweatsuit with hood up plus a hijab working out in my gym yesterday.

It's been close to 100 degrees in Baltimore. Of course she was doing a machine circuit.

15. LM16

LM16 Senior member

At least she was doing something. Many women from that culture don't even make it outside much to do anything non-domestic.