1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The bar isn't going to start moving until your shoulders are directly over the bar anyways, so why start slightly over it and throw yourself out of position?

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

you're right. since the meet is in october i'm going to try and practice form at a lower weight. i think i might not have enough hip flexibility and groin strength to start that low making me start higher which pushes my shoulder over the bar and strains my back.

3. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

groin pain has been replaced by abdomina/oblique pain. really hoping it's not a sports hernia

4. Dapp

Dapp Senior member

I have come to the conclusion that all the guys at my gym are pussies to the nth degree. I'm in Scotland for the summer getting free board at my parents house, so I have a membership to David Lloyd. Used to go there in highschool, and never realized this until now.

My sole reason for saying this is that every guy I've seen squatting (so far) uses one of those weak ass pads. God I miss my US gym. Come on guys.

[​IMG]

5. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Lol @ those neck pads

The best part about squat day is walking around the rest of the day with those burst capillaries all along your neck and shoulder. Those days are exclusively tank-top days for me. Those marks are a badge of honor.

6. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

:lol: I buy reduced things most of the time, one of the highlights of 2011 was finding oranges on reduced multibuy priced so low they paid me one pence for each bag I bought. Plenty of cheap, reduced meat and TBH unless you buy Tesco Value I really do think Waitrose is cheaper than other supermarkets.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

oh and the meet's probably going to be ipa.

8. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Would not have that in England. :nest:

9. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Used straps for high-volume snatches at recommendation of coach... bar felt like it was glued to my hands. Feeling great about C&J technique, max is less than 15kg under 1RM front squat and haven't missed a rep in a long time, except for PR attempts -- just need to get stronger now. Snatch consistency is getting better, but still not as good as I want it to be. I can make 99 lifts, but that 1 miss pisses me off for the rest of the day.

Also, two straight days of BIG workouts and my body is so depleted... feels as though I'm drunk. Going to sleep VERY well tonight.

10. jarude

jarude Senior member

good, they are pretty tight to the point of my toes touching the end but i dont feel like im going to blow out the toebox. ive only been box squatting since i got them so i dont have a great frame of reference to say how it feels for a standard low-bar squat. i have noticed its forcing me to stay back on my heels a lot more and i have to exaggerate the hips back thing. me likey so far

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

I know a boy who got fired from there for doing a shit in the shower. Weird boy. He's doing a bbing show in 4 weeks, and he's like 10% bf right now, he's also 140lb. From what I've heard david Lloyd is a pussy gym. They have a juice bar, only pussy gyms have a juice bar. DYELers at work were talking about lifting. Brb straining your lat, brb taking 2 weeks off from the gym, WTF MAN.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

the old OL loss aversion, know that feel though

still, a miss is a miss, a lift I make but with some awesome technique failure manages to piss me off even more than misses.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  13. knucks

knucks Senior member

anyone deal with shoulder pain going overhead? ive had this shit for years, sometimes gets better, other times not.

i think i've asked this before on here. might be impingement of supraspinatus that gets flared up, not sure what the heck

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

So I now fill up size 34 pants and I think that's the stopping point for me. For someone my height I feel like if I keep gaining in my legs I'm going to look ridiculous. I have no clue what to do though, should I just stop progression on my squat / deadlift? I'd still like to pack on some upper body mass, it's slowly catching up with all the pulls I've been doing and I'm now a size medium shirt. Or maybe I should just start dieting? I probably have reached a point that I should take diet into a consideration because "eating a lot of healthy whole foods" got me the results I wanted but I don't want to get fat.

To make it easier to give suggestions I'm doing 5/3/1 my workouts resemble something like this

Over head press, Bent over rows, face pulls, barbell curls, concentration curls
    Deadlift, box deadlifts, reverse hypers, fore arm rollups
    Bench, Bench again cause I suck at benching, those hanging rack pullup things, face pulls tricep extensions
    Squat , Box Squat, Lunges, Glute hame raise

Then I do yoga 1 day a week (not really that hard) and try to bike to work 1 day a week.

ughghghg makes my head spin @_@

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  15. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I'm at pretty much the same point though my upper body is probably bigger and my legs are a bit smaller (33 sz pants, medium shirts are a little tight)

You should switch to kettlebells and work on/keep up with conditioning, and then focus on your upper body for a while.

Then, when your upper body has a good amount of mass, then go on a cut.