Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dapp

Dapp Senior member

I definitely agree that Smolov is unnecessary for a beginner of any age, but you shouldn't treat a younger trainee like a completely different case just because they're young. Intensity is measured in different ways - I'm using it as a way of referring to working as hard as you can when you're training and still pushing yourself, not in the sense of HIIT. I said you can ratchet intensity up assuming good form and proper weights are used and I still hold by that. Intensity is all relative in this sense, so I still think a beginner should be working as hard as they can, regardless of their age.

I'm not advocating going full intensity when you haven't learned the movements yet, hence my inclusion of proper form. Any other approach would be mindless.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  2. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Yes age does dictate a lot of training. Completely different? No not at all. But a lot to be considered. As I've said my middle school training programs are significantly different than my high school athletes ones and for good reason. Intensity usually is another statement for % of max in the fitness industry/strength community thus when you say intensity I'm going to automatically think "higher % of max" which while it can have it's place in athletes for some things - such as jumping, sprinting, basic human movements, using extremely high % of max under load bearing exercises is something I generally avoid with younger trainees because of their lack of overall coordination and neural efficiency. Intensity usually relates to how well someone can recover from it and younger trainees aren't doing much that they would be hard pressed to recover from. Sure they can do a lot of "hard work" but that's different than intensity from a physics standpoint. May be a bit of semantics but that's why there is so much confusion in the industry because people fail to clarify what the hell they actually mean.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

anybody? somebody?

4. LM16

LM16 Senior member

W12-9: 3 triples on main movement approximately 90% of max. Accessory is still about fixing shit that sucks, mainly unilateral and DB work, try and avoid the barbell for accessory work.
    W8-3: Work up to a heavy single each week here in the main movement - 95-102.5% of max - heavier accessory, barbell can be added back in for accessory
    W2: Openers
    W1: Off completely, get healthy fix mobility, chiro/massage
    Meet: Dominate

W12-2 you should be using the competition lifts with a straight bar as your main lifts.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

6. knucks

knucks Senior member

the numbers you...open....with

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

8. LM16

LM16 Senior member

indesertum is this your first meet?

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

10. LM16

LM16 Senior member

1. Don't worry about making weight if you were considering it, just go where you go.
    2. Bring lots to eat, enough for 2-3 people only it's all for you.
    3. Make your openers light, something you could hit for a triple while hungover on your shittiest day of lifting. Key is just getting yourself in the meet and settling the nerves, especially with squat.
    4. Bury your squat opener so that the judges may be a bit more lenient in your 2nd and 3rd or at least not watch quite as close.
    5. Bring potassium and sea salt. Have some before each new lift i.e. before your first squat, before your first bench, before your first deadlift.
    6. Make sure you know the rules. Each federation has their own little BS rules so make sure you read over the rule book (usually online) of the federation you're competing in.
    7. Have fun and don't be afraid to ask for help if you're going alone. The powerlifting community is extremely fun and supportive communtiy and people are always willing to help out especially if it's your first meet!

11. knucks

knucks Senior member

Are you going by yourself?

What fed?

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i actually dont known which fed. i'll ask.

thanks for the tips. i'll get on it

13. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Definitely find out which fed, and whether you can use wraps or not if you're competing raw, whether or not your heels have to be on the ground for benching, whether or not you have to wear deadlift socks. Those are the three biggest inconsistencies amongst federations for lifting raw.

14. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I work with a simple progressive overload in the last 6 weeks. Percentages below are based on potential 2nd attempts.

6 weeks out - 2x4 80%
    5 weeks out - 2x3 85%
    4 weeks out - 2x2 90%
    3 weeks out - 2x1 95%
    2 weeks out - 1x1 100%
    Last Monday before meet, one set of 10 for squat, bench, and deadlift with 50%. Should be a cakewalk.. just something to get the blood pumping a bit. Rest of the week off.

Like LM16 told you, and like I told you in person, open with something easy. Preferably make it your last warm up.

I like to hit potential 2nd attempt numbers 2 weeks out because I can get a gauge for my strength levels going into the meet. It has worked for me.

15. LM16

LM16 Senior member

I disagree a bit with trying to hit 2nd attempts 2 weeks out. It's a matter of confidence. What happens if you hit a good number 2 weeks out then you go to the meet, and for a variety of reasons (nerves, still not fully recovered, just bad day) you try that weight and it feels super heavy and not nearly as fast as it was in the gym. Maybe, you miss it. This starts to really eat away at your confidence for setting up a big 3rd attempt. Just my 2 cents.