• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@AlexanderTG has an Elena blazer too

Nice stuff, just not for me

Yes, I love the few piece of Elena that I own, but I must admit they don't get a lot of wear. The raw seam thing is very cool, and for me it works in an on-stage setting, but it's definitely not for everyday wear. That said, the fabrics are exceptional, the workmanship is top notch and the price isn't over the top.

As for button placement, yeah, her three-up-top-one-on-the-bottom is weird. But I've heard from my SA at Alan Bilzerian that they have successfully added buttons/holes to pieces for clients.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think we'll pretty soon start seeing some sort of consumer backlash against all the "artisanal" stuff we're seeing. Not that artisan-made things will disappear but there will be a major rebranding, probably towards high-tech, scientific, machine made, etc stuff.

I actually think the opposite, to be honest. Actually, I think you're starting to see more people (read: still insanely small) gravitating toward smaller brands, hand made items, vintage pieces, locally sourced, etc etc. But then again, I live in California. So there's a lot of hippies here.

There will always be room for both though and there will always be those who want to rebel against the greater fashion system/food system/home goods, you name it and do things like they did back in "the good ol days."

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Personally, I seek actively for "traditional" /obscure makers, and find it more exciting than buying some version of the same item from a fashion brand. I also rather have the money go directly to the manufacturer, with the assumption that they make at least as much as if buying a rebranded version.

Also a fan of art brut...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Dayton is a pretty small operation, much smaller than Viberg. I can only imagine the gong show in there when they were flooded with orders. Gonna pick up a third pair from them in the next few months. Gotta support East Van.

Would it be a dumb idea to have a cobbler add a zipper at either the inside or outside? I don't wear mine as much as I'd like to because I'm unspeakably lazy about lacing and unlacing boots every time I put them on / take them off.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I actually think the opposite, to be honest. Actually, I think you're starting to see more people (read: still insanely small) gravitating toward smaller brands, hand made items, vintage pieces, locally sourced, etc etc. But then again, I live in California. So there's a lot of hippies here.

There will always be room for both though and there will always be those who want to rebel against the greater fashion system/food system/home goods, you name it and do things like they did back in "the good ol days."

There already is backlash against the "fancy hipster" versions of everyday things, whether it's coffee or whatever.

I first learned about Dunning-Kruger in a video game forum somewhere.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I just pulled that tab out into its own window for screenshot purposes. Normally they're all in one window. (I mean, at least I'm consistent.)

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There already is backlash against the "fancy hipster" versions of everyday things, whether it's coffee or whatever.

Automation is really the only way forward. Machines don't make mistakes, they're never sick and don't complain. They don't even mind if they don't run for a week. But that's really all industry. The only things left for humans to do is add value.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
You guys are bumming me out, so I'll just leave this here...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And that's the thing, people just don't give a **** about artisan goods.

I have this dope cosmic wonder knit that was throstle spun and it went into detail about all this **** and I thought it was so ******* cool. Like to most people that stuff just doesn't matter if it means the price is a lot higher, and really, it's often viewed as pretentious or whatever.

People still balk at a $5 cup of coffee, but it's so worth it when you find a coffee shop you like that uses good beans and makes it the way you like that it's really worth $5 a cup, but that's a luxury, you know? I think even craft beer is getting plenty of pushback these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads