• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
So I got a personal 20-per-cent off code from Yoox on the occasion of my birthday, and the subject line of the email reads:

"Many Happy Returns (my name), we've got a surprise for you!"

hennree

Reaction score
Has ZenMarket had an account cleanse or something? Just used it for the first time in about a year and had to sign up fresh.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Is this serious?   Cafe racer and DR... those are classic shapes for motorcycle style leathers - LL is one of the brands out there, but saying that anyone who makes DRs and cafe racers are making replicas of LL is quite the stretch.

The JG guys take their project seriously, they employ local leather workers in East London, did not move the production to cheaper areas.  They use a limited range of very carefully selected leathers - those who saw the horsehide in person understand how much more pleasant these will be to wear than the stiff stuff that can often be found out there.   The designs are simple and somewhat predictable but the fit is good, the product is honest and the value is there.  

Surprisingly, it is not a crowded field at all.  There are a lot of fashion brands who have leather outsourced, but there aren't a lot of good quality, not SLP-priced modern leathers out there.  As the success of TOJ can attest

C'mon they seem to retail for around 1400$ (in JP so much more in USA, let's say 2K) there are a boatload of different brands offering nice leather jackets at this price point. This isn't taking anything from them and their product but even the average fashion jacket is not bad at all. Just have to find a fit/material you like and you're usually fine.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're selling them for $1,085 suede and $1,185 for horse. (the GBP probably helps with cost...)

I'm curious who you think offers something nice that's not made in a LCC, and at better value. As a buyer, I find that either we fall into fashion leathers that are often flimsy lambskin and not always well made, or tough-as-nail moto/repro jackets that make you weep for the first 50 wears. As you can imagine, we see a lot of stuff, a lot of brands and makers. I don't encounter the boatload of brands you're referring to.

We've been wanting to add leathers for a while (since we opened three years ago), and it took us this long to find something that was exactly what we want, at the value we think is fair.

Last edited:

Americanaaa

Reaction score
the break in process for a leather motorcycle jackets is one of many rite of passages.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

We're selling them for $1,085 suede and $1,185 for horse.  (the GBP probably helps with cost...)

I'm curious who you think offers something nice that's not made in a LCC, and at better value.   As a buyer, I find that either we fall into fashion leathers that are often flimsy lambskin and not always well made, or tough-as-nail moto/repro jackets that make you weep for the first 50 wears.   As you can imagine, we see a lot of stuff, a lot of brands and makers.   I don't encounter the boatload of brands you're referring to.

We've been wanting to add leathers for a while (since we opened three years ago), and it took us this long to find something that was exactly what we want, at the value we think is fair.

Oh yeah, I guess since they produce and are based in Britain the Japanese price isn't the best indicator. I'm assuming LCC means low cost country.

I think we need to distinguish between what your store aims to provide (focus on cradtmanship , value for money but at relatively high price points, a certain median ratio between trad. menswear and designer, everyday clothing for the urbane guy etc.) with what is simply a cool leather at the 1k-2K price point. You can go to BLK DNM and get something cool at the 1K price pojnt. Does it meet your own standards and is it suitable for your store, not really but that is beside the point.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we're agreeing here. You can go to The Kooples (gasp) and get a leather jacket for $1000 but it is not anything we at NoMan (or many here TBH) would consider as a good option. So, yes, the streets are filled with low-quality, lower-priced fast-fashion DRs, but that doesn't actually mean that there's plethora of options for those of us looking for the better products.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the distinguishing features between an English inspired vs. American inspired DR style?
American jackets typically have epaulets at the shoulder, and often, full belt. They also typically have the coin pocket in the front. English style jackets don;t typically have epaulets, nor the coin pocket, and in the case of Lewis leathers, often have side adjusters instead of a full belt. Of course, none of this is set in stone.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Need a loose gray or charcoal sweatshirt, nice long fit not cropped and no repro details any suggestions? I ask this every year btw.

Not trying to spend designer money like 300 on this k thx.

kashmir

Reaction score
Any good gray denim out there? Preferably slubby a la indigo denim but in light gray.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Need a loose gray or charcoal sweatshirt, nice long fit not cropped and no repro details any suggestions? I ask this every year btw.

Just get margiela grey sweat with elbow patches. Overpriced bullshit like every other designer sweat but the fit is nice (I have mustard yellow and navy and they get worn a lot). TBH My Uniqlo sweat is also nice.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just get margiela grey sweat with elbow patches. Overpriced bullshit like every other designer sweat but the fit is nice (I have mustard yellow and navy and they get worn a lot). TBH My Uniqlo sweat is also nice.

That mid range :

John elliot
Nonnative
Our legacy
Acne
Norse
Stone
W+H
RTH has some amazing fleece right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads