1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Random question, besides leathersoul, are there any other interesting places to visit on Oahu, Hawaii (shopping wise).

2. flowcharts

flowcharts Senior member

IMO it's misguided to claim vinyl produces better sound than digital. Really just a matter of preference, even when you get into wildly expensive setups. FLAC + a decent dac w/ clean power is really all you need. I've had multiple setups for both digital and vinyl, and I'm always drawn to digital, both for (my) increased library size and convenience. I like to buy a few records from my favorite artists to support them and listen for fun, and it's always fun to dig around for random records.

For perspective, I've cycled through budget components & DIY for setups in roughly 1-3k range. Right now I use laptop ->ifi iusb -> odac -> bottlehead quickie with w/ upgrades (only used sometimes) -> Topping TP60 -> Paul Carmody's Amigas or Zaph ZA5.2

2 people like this.
  3. Pangolin

Pangolin Senior member

Surf N Sea in Haleiwa and Ted's Bakery for Haupia pies. Not much else you can't find anywhere else shopping wise.

1 person likes this.
  4. double00

double00 Senior member

haleiwa is a neat town. when i was on Oahu maybe fifteen years ago we rode the city bus from waikiki all the way to sunset point. town and country indeed.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. Noctone

Noctone Senior member

i think there's a store in haleiwa that stocks EG

1 person likes this.
  6. gong

gong Senior member

7. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

Respectfully, no it's not.

The best vinyl recordings, and some just recorded well, have a better sound and soundstage to anything digital. Especially the 200-240 gram remastered stuff. Jazz never sounded better. But, I have an original release Disraeli Gears pressing and it sounds amazing.

I can "see" where the musicians are situated many times. I don't think so with digital.

But I think the components are just important in the equation. And that can be the rub for many folks. I've had DAC's. No comparison.

I wouldn't feel the desire to push the limit on components if I was going digital.

But analog? I went all out but it took years. I'd invite you over if you were down here.

Jeff Rowland amps;JM Lab speakers, Basic TT, Benz Micro cartridge;Classe processor; Power Company electrical supply;Sound Anchor rack

But, as long as you're enjoying the music, that's all that matters.

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

That's what I figured re no shops. Gonna stop by Haleiwa later on the trip.

Guess it's Hawaiian beer drinking time instead.

9. Noctone

Noctone Senior member

surf is up in hawaii right now, do that instead of drinking beer

1 person likes this.
  10. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

How clean is clean enough?

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/15/japan-audiophiles-install-own-electricity-poles/

1 person likes this.
  11. metranger8694

12. zissou

zissou Senior member

You MUST go to Opal Thai in Haleiwa. Best Thai I have ever had. Also, bring some snorkel gear and swim with the green sea turtles at Laniakea Beach. Just don't touch them.

Pretty much any of the shrimp trucks are great, and hit up the fruit stands each day. It will blow your mind.

When you are in Honolulu, stop by Reyn Spooner for some board shorts or a shirt, and have the banana pancakes with coconut syrup at Wailana Coffee House.

2 people like this.
  13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Thanks man. I am staying in Kailua for the first part of the trip and been to laniakea beach, crazy clear water. I was in laniakea back in 05 and it looks the same. I appreciate it more now.

14. zissou

zissou Senior member

That's a nice side of the island. We were a little more north in Hauula, where we rented a house right on the beach. A week of swimming, drinking beer, and eating fruit was pretty idyllic.

15. flowcharts

flowcharts Senior member

Idk, I've had good experience with Sabre-based dacs for soundstaging (The Yulong D18 specifically was pretty great, though I was using headphones at the time), but ymmv. I think we'd both agree that downstream components and the room itself play the most important role [​IMG]

16. metranger8694

Oh yes. For sure. Acoustics and air.

But if you're wearing headphones, then it's the ceiling that matters.[​IMG]

17. mementomoriarty

mementomoriarty Senior member

Don't foget to spell check [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Since there are people here who seem to know a lot about audio, anyone have a suggestion on how I can get a better seal on Sennheiser IE80 in-ear headphones?

I ordered some replacement buds online, just to try out, but they didn't fit that great. $10 down the drain.

A friend suggested that I just visit some local high-end audio store and try some buds in-person. The other idea, I thought, was maybe trying some custom thing (although I don't know how much that would cost). Is there a common stock solution here? Or a reliable custom solution?

cc: @metranger8694, @flowcharts, and @Coldsnap

19. flowcharts

flowcharts Senior member

@dieworkwear have you tried Sony hybrid tips? Sorry, I don't have any experience with customs

20. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I haven't, but are they these?

[​IMG]

Stupid questions, but

1) how are you supposed to know your size? Do you just take a guess and buy a couple in different sizes? The standard IE80s are too big, so I assume I'm a SS or S.

2) are there any advantages or disadvantages to triple flange earbuds? Is it just about finding something that fits?