• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crosspost from Recent Purchases, here's an English documentary about Cornelian Taurus (leather goods) and Japanese tanneries (Shinki) in English. Very cool products, nice staff, highly recommended viewing:

Part 1
Part 2

Also pretty cool soundtrack by The Album Leaf on the program hah

Love my Cornelian Taurus stuff, excellent quality for the price

Is there a particularly good webstore for the bags, I really liked yours.... Haven't bought a bag in a long time. It's either that, or I'm getting some custom made in NYC by a place in the LES, probably something like this:
http://abknyc.com/shopbags/2012/12/27/bagstock

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Patron of the New doesn't carry it anymore?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Carrefour can handle online orders now via PayPal. Very good customer service
http://www.carrefour-jiyugaoka.com/
I'm happy to proxy from Lift as well:
http://www.lift-net.co.jp/collection15aw/cornelian/cornelian.html
I've heard great things about Fascinate and they ship overseas, but won't mark down value:
https://www.fascinate.jp/english/brand/cornelian-taurus

Mindtrive has a large collection but their customer service hasn't been very good so I hesitate to order from them
Sigh... and nice shoes too. But why, why, do Japanese stores only carry tiny, manlet size shoes. I am a US 10.5. It's not a gigantic size...

kashmir

Reaction score
Is there any way we could read manton and vox's posts? I dont know why they edited the majority of it. Shame, there is plenty of knowledge there.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any way we could read manton and vox's posts? I dont know why they edited the majority of it. Shame, there is plenty of knowledge there.
I could revert the edits. I won't do that for Manton's stuff, but Vox edited a lot of his stuff just to be a dick, so I'd be tempted to do that. The thing is, Vox is actually the least actually knowledgeable of those guys. He was a relatively newcomer, and started in a much more designer (like Brioni) place. I am reasonably sure that I had a tailor before he did. If you want to read a guy who really knows his stuff, read Itsstillmatt's stuff. Matt also knows a fair bit about designer stuff - Yohji and CdG, for example, so he comes to the game from a different place than someone like Manton or The Foo.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Demna Gvasalia Named Creative Director of Balenciaga

BoF has learned that Demna Gvasalia, the wunderkind Georgian designer behind Vetements, has been appointed creative director of Balenciaga.​
Demna_Gvasalia.jpeg

Demna Gvasalia | Source: Courtesy
PARIS, France — Demna Gvasalia, the wunderkind Georgian designer behind Vetements, has been appointed the next creative director of Balenciaga. Gvasalia is expected to stage his first show for the brand in March 2016 and will continue to lead the design collective at Vetements.
In recent seasons, Vetements has sent ripples of new energy through the Paris fashion scene with classic, democratic clothing reimagined with new proportions and imbued with a raw-edged street sensibility. The breakout label — run by a collective that also includes Demna’s brother Guram Gvasalia and several of their friends — is best known for its oversized mannish tailoring, floral dresses and reconstructed jeans. Vetements was one of eight finalists for the LVMH Prize in 2015 and recently presented its Spring/Summer 2016 collection at a buzzy show that drew key industry insiders to a kitschy Chinese restaurant in Paris’ Belleville.
Previously, Gvasalia worked behind the scenes at Margiela for eight years (while Mr. Martin Margiela was still at the house), as well as at Louis Vuitton for a short period. Agnès Barret, a recruiter who worked with Mr. Martin Margiela, has referred to Gvasalia as Mr. Margiela’s “spiritual son.”
News of the appointment follows former Balenciaga creative director Alexander Wang’s final show for the brand, which took place last Friday after a “joint decision” by Wang and Balenciaga parent company Kering not to renew their contract.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this random guy on instagram who is wearing the Le Lab moleskin half balloons. Looked better/more normal than I thought it would

these

Also I think this might be the mid rise model, I know there's a high rise version for full effect (not sure Lafont makes it but I know Laboureur does). Found some fit pics but they're all pretty dorky and time traveling is more fun anyway

QUOTE]

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Like a good father, I passed mine on to my son.  He likes my old AA thermals more.

Realtalk, AA thermal henleys (sized up one) are one of the best-fitting articles of clothing ever. I have an RRL henley that comes close, and my WvG henleys win in terms of sheer beefiness, but the AA ones win hands-down in terms of fit. OTOH, I've had one literally fall apart on me the first time I wore it. I'm surprised there was anything left to pass along to your son, maybe a pile of thread, a few scraps of fabric, and some tiny plastic buttons.

I still need to find someone who will reverse-engineer one using better materials, construction, and trims.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Haha @notwithit, I wear those AA henleys almost every day in the fall/winter. Definitely agree about the fit, they're so good. I have a huge issue with a lot of garments ballooning out at the lower half due to my drop & broad shoulders, those hug tight.

If you're being serious about finding somebody to replicate better......... keep me in the loop. I would definitely pick up a fair amount to help with any minimum order req.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads