Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Realtalk, AA thermal henleys (sized up one) are one of the best-fitting articles of clothing ever. I have an RRL henley that comes close, and my WvG henleys win in terms of sheer beefiness, but the AA ones win hands-down in terms of fit. OTOH, I've had one literally fall apart on me the first time I wore it. I'm surprised there was anything left to pass along to your son, maybe a pile of thread, a few scraps of fabric, and some tiny plastic buttons.

I still need to find someone who will reverse-engineer one using better materials, construction, and trims.

2. dmash

dmash Senior member

^Haha @notwithit, I wear those AA henleys almost every day in the fall/winter. Definitely agree about the fit, they're so good. I have a huge issue with a lot of garments ballooning out at the lower half due to my drop & broad shoulders, those hug tight.

If you're being serious about finding somebody to replicate better......... keep me in the loop. I would definitely pick up a fair amount to help with any minimum order req.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

This is obviously motivated by your grudge against him. He contributed a ton, and that Coherent Combinations thread was one of the best things posted on this forum.

Anyway, no matter how you want to rank the hierarchy (that sounds ridiculous, btw), none of those guys post on CM anymore.

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Foo posts in the design forum from time to time.

5. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

Matt is a renaissance man. he posted a pretty cool fit with his wife in CDG (she really loves that , probably one reason why he's familiar with japanese designer) but MC being what it is ridiculed him for posing "with his maid," as they perceived it ... useless

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's no secret that Vox and I did not part on the best of terms, while I remain personal friends with the other guys. Nevertheless, I feel that my statement stands.

I should also make it cleart that a lot of people who use the forum have many more, and more diverse interests, than bespoke. I think that bespoke is an interesting subject, but Styleforum was never meant to be primarily about bespoke, either in original intent, or in what people posted, then or now. It was always a big tent, for people with differing interests and differing levels of interest. It was constructed with this type of flexibility in mind. I have seen a lot of other forums fall into disuse because of adherence to a specific type of discussion. From the beginning, the aim of Styleforum was to allow it to grow and adapt as posters and taste and conventions changed.

Anyone is the community is welcome to start a thread about oretty much any menswear related subject, and see who bites.

Matt himself was, at one point, into that stuff himself.

If you've ever met his wife in person, it's pretty easy to see how stylish she really is, in anything from very :California casua clothes to like, Marni and CdG.

7. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

So, I took a peek at some earlyish MMM collections on FirstView. Now I understand what Sipang was saying about Vetements a few days ago. Egads.

Maybe we just need to rejigger our expectations about what "refreshing" means? Like, maybe it's possible to be excited about a designer bringing back a 15-year-old aesthetic just because we miss it and none of the current designers are carrying the flag? Or maybe we just have to settle for baby steps forward instead of giant leaps?

Some Vetements fans have to remember collections like MMM ss00. I wonder what they're saying about the brand.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Vox was a good conversation driver and brought a lot of insight, he was also batshit insane but hey, that sorta helped on the CM forum.

9. dieworkwear

I don't mean those people were useful because they bought custom clothes (although those threads were exciting and interesting). I mean they contributed a lot to the discussion on how to dress (and often on garment construction, which was interesting in a nerdy way).

People still talk about how to dress on the CM side of the board of course, but IMO the quality of the discussion isn't what it used to be.

Anyway, this topic has been rehashed a million times, and I don't think it's going to change anything. I only chimed in because the ranking of Manton, Matt, and Vox seemed silly.

10. LA Guy

I don't disagree with any of this. In the end, however, he was deliberating disrupting the forum and really dominating the discussion with how he didn't like the direction we were taking things, and doing things that were passive aggressive and anti-social, like posting, then deleting 5 minutes later, with the explanation that "every who I wanted to read it already had." I don't tell anyone what to think, but that level of disruption, and not just couple of times, but constantly over months, was just going to play out badly if allowed to continue.

Sometimes, a good poster becomes a troll, and it's unfortunate, because as an admin, you are forced to deal with the situation that forces a difficult decision.

11. LA Guy

It is silly. But it was certainly not silly or trivial to Vox. If you read his interactions with Matt, for example, it's definitely not particularly friendly.

12. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I just found Vox's new tumblr where he makes easy, cruel jokes about current CM posters. You all should see it, it's a riot.

13. dieworkwear

Seriously, though, who cares?

The bigger issue is the CM side of the forum. Vox was the most vocal about it, but I know a lot of people who left because they didn't like the direction, but didn't want to raise a fuss.

Anyway, I realize this has been debated a billion times. And things are not changing. And lots of people see CM the same, or maybe even better, these days. Debating this seems kind of pointless.

I'm just saying that ranking Manton, Matt, and Vox is really petty.

14. LA Guy

It should probably be pointed out, for fairness sake, that he does not like me either.

He posted a quote, out of context, on his twitter today, for example, in which I said:
    "As a side note,I apparently tested higher than Richard Feynman in IQ tests."

Which is true, since Richard Feynman tested as "above average, but not exceptional", and it was in the context of a discussion about the accuracy of metrics of intelligence. Out of context, it reads like I was saying that I am smarter than Richard Feynman, which I certainly have never thought, much less stated. And that was posted today, from a post that is probably month's old. So it wasn't something that wasn't researched and quoted deliberately for effect.

15. LA Guy

Anyway, Vox, and I know that you are reading this. If you want to catch me on the East Coast, I'll be in NYC Nov 7. I'll even take a few minutes to chat with you. And go ahead, quote me and use my full name. I don't need to hide behind a pseudonym. That said, you're not too hard to find, either.