Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I would get Amazon and Netflix ones, just to prove that I can work in the fiercest company cultures in America. BOOOM.

3. bows1

bows1 Senior member

I've heard about Amazon, whats wrong with Netflix

4. LA Guy

5. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Netflix is a meat grinder. They wear people out fast. It's also kind of secluded away from most tech companies.

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

=(

I really like them. They are kind of boring, but they often feel a bit more substantive than other shows. Although some also just feel like chit chat between industry insiders.

7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I'm also waiting for someone to put a Fendi bag bug on their badge lanyard. Don't let me down bay area pls.

8. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Speaking of tech companies, Rakuten moved offices right by my house and now I can't get a quiet lunch anymore!! And they won't let me eat at their cafeteria!!!

Muji has some great crisp broadcloth shirts, look good with a little wrinkle. I never like wearing $200 shirts, I feel like I'm one coffee stain or gross sweaty neck away from disaster

9. LA Guy

I really got zero out of that, and I nearly fell asleep a few times, even though I fastforwarded and skipped parts of it. I guess part of the problem is that I find all of both Steven Alan and Totokaelo to be incredibly boring, boring stores. Both their websites and their physical stores bore me to frustration. I have never seen ANYTHING at either store that excites me, either online or in person. At Steven Alan, it's like "Oh, LVC and chinos. Oh, terrific." At Totokaelo, it's like "Oh, lessee. All the usual cool people brands. Clean, white, blond wood. Wow, how exciting."

I do like Bird a little more, though there is no more men's.

It's funny that one of the retailers talked about "Blowing minds and introducing our clients to cool shit," because none of these retailers have ever done this for me.

Not toot my/our own horn, but I have learned about 100 times more from browsing Styleforum for 10 minutes than I have listening to this thing for the past 40 minute so. I can read about Visvim and SLP and Viberg about G&G and Formosa and Aero jacket and Formosa and Blue Blue Japan and MTM leather jackets South Korea from some wierd Diesel jacket from 5 seasons back, all with a simple click. To me, that is much, much, cooler.

Of course, I've also been consulting on this stuff for literally a decade now.

10. LA Guy

I think that I am going down to San Francisco late October for work, and hopefully also catch the San Francisco Trunk Show of one of our affiliate vendors as well. Send me one, and I'll beg/borrow/steal a Wikia badge and do just that, just for you.

Incidentally, Styleforum Trunk Show, cohosted with A&H Magazine, in a penthouse loft in NYC, Nov 7. Whiskey, yummy treats (Momofuku Milkbar?) and lunch and snacks. Right, and tons of fun stuff too look at. Don't miss it. We will hand out badges with your username, avatar, title, and post count, if you RSVP and if I can find the printer to do that (0).

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Buy one and expense it / give it to your wife. They're crazy expensive, even by Stylefarmer standards. PS there's another meetup in October? Maybe I'll make the one next week, but Dreamforce = insanity in SF.

12. LA Guy

I gotta admit, $850 is pretty expensive for a gag. Maybe I'll have to give myself an extra high per diem for that trip. DEAR IRS PEOPLE: IT'S JUST A JOKE. PLEASE DON"T AUDIT ME.

13. LA Guy

Actual fashion thought: One of my retail regrets is NOT picking up a Fendi tuxedo on sale for about $500 or so in... 2003? They were truly stupendous. These incredible sweeping peak lapels and pinched waist. And this purple lining with a beetle print. Really something else.

A stores that does give me "Oh, wow, that's cool, and I've never seen it" moments: Baby&Co in Seattle. Is it goth ninja Eurotrash workwear dudes. Why yes, yes it is. Plus some local designers who feel very PNW hipster? Anyway. it's interesting to see Nigel Cabourn paired with Mauro Grifoni paired with Phillippe Modele sneakers.

14. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

What do you feel about Idol Brooklyn? I feel their philosophy is the polar opposite of Totokaelo's -- they just buy whatever the fuck they think is cool, regardless of whether it's "in" or not. I can't see Human Made stuff selling well at all, but one of the owners really digs the brand so he stocks it every season. They stock more visvim clothes (vs. footwear) than many other NA retailers and it doesn't sell that well, but again, it's stuff the owners like.

15. flowcharts

flowcharts Senior member