Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. msg

msg Senior member

The women's section of the Seattle store seems to do well, lots of people. Men's however is usually a ghost town. Just me and DLester keeping it going (and all the college kids with expense accounts).

Moving to New York, they're also going to be competing with the entrenched retailers, like Barneys, who will sell the same brands. Hard to see this as a likely success.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

On the other hand, an NYC address is a great billboard, and it's hard to see how walk through traffic wouldn't be better than in Seattle. Haven did this, incidentally, with the move to Vancouver. There are simply addresses that look better than others/

3. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

My brother told me that Microsoft lists it in one of their brochures for things to do in Seattle. No clue how much traffic that drives though..

4. LA Guy

Probably a fair bit - a lot of money there.

5. msg

msg Senior member

Nah, Microsoft is the wrong demographic for Toto. Amazon and the other Seattle-based software companies or companies with offices (Google, Facebook, etc) are a much better fit: younger, more likely to be single with high income, and already live/work in the neighborhood. Microsoft demo is much older (mid-30s, families); in addition, Microsoft employees are overwhelmingly concentrated on the east side (Bellevue, Redmond, etc) where it's easy enough to just go into Nordstrom in Bellevue and buy True Religion jeans with the help of a personal shopper. There's a Neiman on the east side as well.

Never seen anyone from MSFT in Toto, but have seen lots of Amazon people. You can tell who's who because most of the employees of these companies leave their work badges on and visible even after work.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

6. LA Guy

True. Also, I've noticed a lot of the employees leaving their badges on, obviously deliberately, and it seems just... sad. Obnoxious, but mostly sad. It's like, well, I'm sad for you that you are so proud of making money for someone else and finally being part of a "cool crowd", whatever that may mean in tech. I read a lot of stuff like that on Quora as well, of people who want desperately to work for Google or whatever, or people who are so obviously being part of the "chosen" few. During my stint at Harvard, I saw people - mostly undergrads - drop the H-bomb regularly. And this, this is much more sad. At least the Harvard people were wanting to broadcast the fact that they'd been "chosen" as having potential to do great things. Sorry, but not matter how well google does, you are just another dude at a computer, writing algorithms, or figuring out UX, or whatever. Not that special.

Meh, maybe it's just me. I've always had an allergic reaction to whatever big institution I was at at the time.

7. msg

msg Senior member

For whatever reason, there's a tendency (generalizing) for people who work on computers to have that job consume a significant part of their identity. (Hopefully, this will change as the tech companies attempt to diversify.) Companies like this because it means they'll get a kid in his or her 20s and all they want to do is work: because work is identity. It's a hard job, unquestionably, and there are a lot of very bright people working in the industry. And, that industry is eating the economy as fast as it can, which creates a whole new set of problems. But, the personality types who are attracted to the industry and who are successful often are people you wouldn't want to have a drink with. I've been in rooms with people who are exceptionally bright and accomplished and we waste hours trying to prove who's the smartest person in the room. It's a weird industry with a weird personality types. So, everyone leaves their badges on. The one who don't are the one you want to have a drink with.

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

It's pretty common practice in the bay area... both out of habit/laziness and for immediate "identifier" purposes.

9. msg

msg Senior member

Well, let's hope the rest of us can do better than the Bay. It's a low bar.

10. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I still don't understand tech and how they are valued.

11. msg

msg Senior member

Valued like unicorns, just ask the princes on Sand Hill.

12. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Castle in the sky?

13. msg

msg Senior member

Wheel in the sky?

14. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

The Toto CEO says they currently have a 15mil revenue, she is aiming for 90mil. After the NY store she is planning an Eu and Asia store.
    The womens business must be nuts, maybe their homegoods is an unsung hero?

15. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Totokaelo should commission fake employee badges to be flossed at all the bars where techies congregate. Like, Walter van B could make one out of knit fabric with pom poms all over it. Margiela would of course dredge up a bunch of vintage badges and douse them in white paint. Sruli Recht would hunt down a whale and carve out little rectangles from its bones. It would be the one form of cultural appropriation that no one would protest.