Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. DLester

DLester Senior member

Well once again count me among the simples who like Totokaelo. The owner is a known difficult person, but other than that I don't see a problem with a place that stocks a wide selection of my favorite brands (Dries, Margiela, Rick, Ann also Yohji, Geller etc etc etc).

I wish them best of luck in NYC, even though success there definitely means the end of the Seattle store. She has talked about that for some time.

2. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

i'm thinking to attend this, though the shah or king of kings or his eminence would be far too formal and such arrogance isn't befitting, especially if you're not making the tags out of $13,760/sheet paper from the shop in germany with gold lettering etc. i could wear my robe, that's pretty regal. milk bar is wack... which loft ?

most stores that resort to that type of template (mohawk general being another) seem to have the online shops as fronts presenting a much grandeur image of what they actually are. i haven't been to the toto shop itself but it's pretty boring online and i imagine it's worse in person -- i have a friend who's been and said as much. i'll probably find out when in nyc...one thing about toto is the great customer service experience, but that's a separate issue altogether.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

3. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

have you ever read the glassdoor reviews? Makes you wonder wtf is actually going on in there. I have no idea what it's like inside or what the company is like at all, but the idea of an overly-curated monochrome shop peopled and captained by complete assholes sounds like an SNL skit.

More importantly, I detest curation, both the word and the practice. I would like to see less curation, generally.

4. DLester

DLester Senior member

Welcome back Shahanshah

5. accordion

accordion Senior member

Interested in what you mean by this

6. Synthese

Well, I mean it in a few ways. The first and most pertinent to our tiny world is the exhaustive "curation" of web and B&M shops. Totokaelo is an example of this taken just about further than anything else - I'm guessing you know what I mean, so I won't try to list for more examples; but I find the practice boring and tiresome, particularly as the word has become ever-present on the internet in particular. Used to be that a "curator" had a role; now anyone with a tumblr is a curator of fashion/art/comics/whatever. The problem is that "curation" has come to mean "homogeneity," when it means anything at all.

The more important aspect is that, I think, humans operate through analogy. Or at least interesting ones do. So looking beyond obvious connections both shows and inspires creative thinking. There are some semantic issues to deal with, since, you know - to a certain extent everything is curation. But some of the best (museum) exhibits I've ever seen approach curation from a standpoint that showcases collage, for example - referring to artists, media, time periods - rather than rote devotion to a period or school. By over-curating what we consume and what we display (as individuals or as businesses), we cut ourselves off from the better part of the world.

7. DLester

DLester Senior member

I have no idea how it is to be an employee at Totokaelo -- maybe it really is like working in a Führerbunker that sells scarves and smushy bags -- but...

As a consumer I like their stock, and when I am there they are nice and helpful and mostly leave me alone to evaluate the desirable things they sell.

And they don't urge me to buy pieces that are not right for me.

And they don't try to bullshit me by pretending to know things they don't.

That is all I ask.

It strikes me as odd that Totokaelo is probably one of the more scorned shops on SF. It is more cool kid than Jack Straw, I get that, but they can co-exist. Let's all hug it out....

8. Synthese

Why is it scorned? I thought it was beloved?

9. DLester

DLester Senior member

"Curation/Curated" is just a dbag way of saying "here is stuff that we think you will like and buy."

It is the 2007 word for something that retailers have aimed for forever. The word is dated and annoying, but when it goes away the retailer's instinct to engage in this practice will remain (and why not).

10. DLester

DLester Senior member

I have yet to see anything decent said about the place on SF other than posts from me (the primary flag waiver, oddly) and MSG.

11. APK

APK Senior member

Well that's not true. Didn't someone buy something online from them and attach a request for the shop to include a drawing of a dragon with their order and the shop COMPLIED?

edit: nope, dinosaur

12. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

i just did -- the CS is good , one example is the dinosaur and another is something else

but for reasons synth expanded on , the tendency toward homogeneity makes it and many others boring

13. DLester

DLester Senior member

haha that is awesome, I missed that...well that is what I get for only reading the odd numbered pages on SF.

14. nevergreen

nevergreen Senior member

i visited totokaelo when i was in seattle and loved it. obviously super cool layout, but the staff was really nice. super helpful and didn't really bother me when i was looking at things i had no intention of buying. Had a conversation with the guy and then he just let me browse and try a few things on. I wish i could have stayed a little longer but i got there maybe 15 minutes before they were closing.

15. trafficjam

trafficjam Senior member

They drew a wizard on the box for me when I asked them:

[​IMG]