• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but why don't more stores do lookbooks?

These two shots from Mr. Porter are like night and day. They're both showing an Oliver Spencer jacket, but the styling and photography of the "lookbook" (actually just a photo to accompany a feature on William Gilchrist) is so much better than the product shot.

Assuming you know someone photogenic, and can hire a photographer for like $500, wouldn't it be pretty low cost for a store to put together a lookbook every season? You could do the color correction yourself (maybe not something super professional, but it's not that hard to learn)

This feels so much better than a product shot.

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chef's Table is a great series.

I've also been binge watching Mind of a Chef. Love the first and third season the most and watching David Chang eat all that ramen in Tokyo just makes me want to go back that much more.

I actually loved the first half of season 2.I really loved hearing about the cultural origins of traditional southern dishes.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

These two shots from Mr. Porter are like night and day. They're both showing an Oliver Spencer jacket, but the styling and photography of the "lookbook" (actually just a photo to accompany a feature on William Gilchrist) is so much better than the product shot.

Assuming you know someone photogenic, and can hire a photographer for like $500, wouldn't it be pretty low cost for a store to put together a lookbook every season? You could do the color correction yourself (maybe not something super professional, but it's not that hard to learn)

This feels so much better than a product shot.

The product shot is how ****** it will look on everyone. Look books are false hope.

Because a good photographer shooting a whole lookbook would be WAY more expensive than that. ++ models, assistants, hair/make-up, location fee, design, retouching, etc. all add up.

I love look books -- they embody the romance and ideals of fashion -- along with runway shows and editorials. But for my own clothes buying I've learned to accept habitant's idea: if it looks good on some short model with average build on some half-baked e-commerce page, there's a pretty good chance it will look good on me.

I think it's a good investment for brands though, because as we know the image has a lot of power to persuade. A good look book or campaign or whatever can cement your impression.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Because a good photographer shooting a whole lookbook would be WAY more expensive than that. ++ models, assistants, hair/make-up, location fee, design, retouching, etc. all add up.

I assume if you're a big store, you have to pay the big bucks. But for a small operation, can't you get a lot of that stuff for relatively cheap?

Back in the '90s, I organized some fashion shoots for a few streetwear companies. The models and make-up artists were basically free and the only person who really got paid was the photographer (partly because of film developing costs). Obviously, as a freelancer, I like to see people get paid for their work -- but if a store wanted to, it seems like a relatively easy thing to pull together. Esp now that everything is digital.

Last edited:

basil rathbone

Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

TIL that Kingsman is an actual brand, and not just a made up front for a secret British spy organization in a movie.

They actually named the movie Kingsman so they could have a brand. The original title of the film was The Secret Service, but then they realized that would make for a weird clothing label name, so they changed it to The Kingsman.

Was originally just supposed to be a one-season thing, to tie in with the film, but it's since morphed into Mr. Porter's house line.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Small shops that do a lot of business on the web in Japan and especially Korea do this all the time with their garbage H&M-quality clothes. Not necessarily a look-book, but they'll take pictures of their clothes outside, giving them context. I don't know why more US stores don't do this. Just try clicking on a random product on Gmarket (http://gcategory.gmarket.co.kr/Listview/Category?GdlcCd=100000003), everything has a ton of product shots. I don't know if it's because "creatives" actually get paid more in the states, but in Japan and Korea everything from photography to styling to doing the web stuff would be a minimum wage job.

Also Fascinate's blog: https://www.fascinate.jp/english/blog
Like, these guys just go outside with a decent camera, I doubt they're planned or touched up much, and it looks leagues better than any product shots.

Last edited:

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think it's a dumb question at all. Yes, if you have seen and felt a piece that you're set on, a look book won't make a difference. However, antsy buyers (usually with an urge to burn a hole in their wallet) are shmoozed all the time into buying stuff just because the pictures look good.

I definitely agree it's as stated above, you're talking a much greater sum than $500. Day rate of a decently experienced male catalog model is going to run you like $1-$3k alone.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I definitely agree it's as stated above, you're talking a much greater sum than $500. Day rate of a decently experienced male catalog model is going to run you like $1-$3k alone.

You don't need to get an experienced catalog model. You just get friends, or maybe models who are looking to build their portfolios. Or you get a cross promotion going with someone -- like a musician, artist, writer, blogger, editor, or whatever. There are lots of ways you can get free models. They're not going to be the same person who models for J. Crew's catalog, but you don't have to choose between doing something like what Mr. Porter puts out and doing nothing at all.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That'll make for an interesting blog idea. Pitch to stores that you'll model for free to give their clothes some more context and in return you can generate some traffic and maybe make some change off sponsors / ads.

I think the only criteria or a basis to build the website is choosing interesting locations and above average photo and editing skills.

Words can be kept at a minimum. It will be just pages and pages of new season gear modeled in the wild.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That'll make for an interesting blog idea. Pitch to stores that you'll model for free to give their clothes some more context and in return you can generate some traffic and maybe make some change off sponsors / ads.

I think the only criteria or a basis to build the website is choosing interesting locations and above average photo and editing skills.

Words can be kept at a minimum. It will be just pages and pages of new season gear modeled in the wild.

That's basically what Instagram has turned into -- covert ads for brands and stores. Basically lookbooks/ paid advertisements trying to pass as selfies

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/trends/a10949/how-bloggers-make-money-on-instagram/

Last edited:

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You don't need to get an experienced catalog model. You just get friends, or maybe models who are looking to build their portfolios. Or you get a cross promotion going with someone -- like a musician, artist, writer, blogger, editor, or whatever. There are lots of ways you can get free models. They're not going to be the same person who models for J. Crew's catalog, but you don't have to choose between doing something like what Mr. Porter puts out and doing nothing at all.

Yeah, completely right, overshot my estimates.

Hell, now that I think about it I've modeled numerous times for a few different boutiques in exchange for clothing as payment. I thought it was a fantastic deal (as long as one meshes with the style of said boutique).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads